Traffic Gridlock In Nw Sheffield This Morning 14/11/2019

1 hour ago, Bigal1 said:

what I do not understand is that if the work had to take place in the rush hour why they did not open the tram gate for traffic at Hillsborough after all the trams were already caught up and severely delayed and it was quicker to walk to Hillsbrough

Because it wouldn't achieve anything other than filling somewhere else up with cars.

4 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

Because it wouldn't achieve anything other than filling somewhere else up with cars.

It would have given another route so would have eased the congestion slightly .

But would have snarled up the tram routes which in turn would have caused more congestion.

The decision not to open the tram gates was the right one.

Leave home a little earlier or don't travel unless it's essential has to be the best advice really.

It won't be a permanent problem.

10 hours ago, Bigal1 said:

what I do not understand is that if the work had to take place in the rush hour why they did not open the tram gate for traffic at Hillsborough after all the trams were already caught up and severely delayed and it was quicker to walk to Hillsbrough

Cos that would be too logical for the council as would be a bobby directing traffic 

The word 'bobby' is so invoking. Hardly descriptive of current plight.

6 hours ago, autumn said:

Nope.

6 hours ago, autumn said:

It would have opened up a whole list of possibilities for the jams to be somewhere else. Supposing traffic had gone towards the centre through the tram gate - it still has to join Penistone Road at some point - and those junctions eg Albert Terrace Road - have limited capacity. So you'd just have ended up with queues on Infirmary Road - and back up towards Crookesmoor Road - instead.

My isssue with this was why didnt Amey who closed leppings lane put some diversion signs way back up Middlwood rd so drivers knew what was going on before getting within 10 yards of the closure and seeing a road closed sign? Too much like common sense ? 

16 hours ago, Daven said:

But would have snarled up the tram routes which in turn would have caused more congestion.

Leave home a little earlier or don't travel unless it's essential has to be the best advice really.

The trams were already snarled up

secondly as there was not publicity for this  the advise to leave home earlier or not travel was hardly going to help

I wonder if there had been some warning how many drivers might have had the option of using an alternative route

13 minutes ago, Bigal1 said:

The trams were already snarled up

secondly as there was not publicity for this  the advise to leave home earlier or not travel was hardly going to help

I wonder if there had been some warning how many drivers might have had the option of using an alternative route

Where do you look for advance publicity for emergency works? 

The situation was all over Twitter, postings by The BBC, The Star and local residents.  That's how I found out about it and adapted my route to avoid the worst of the jams.

On 15/11/2019 at 17:59, Daven said:

I would have left home earlier if I'd know it was happening before I set off for work...

[as it happens, I didn't get caught up in it because of where I would have joined the queue, I realised something was different and had the option to find another way round.  But I'm just making a point :-)]

On ‎15‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 17:59, Daven said:

I don't think you quite understand, the tram routes were snarled up anyway, and in both directions !