Traffic Gridlock In Nw Sheffield This Morning 14/11/2019

Does anyone know what, if anything specific, caused the appalling traffic in NW Sheff this morning ?

The gridlock in Oughtibridge was caused by works outside the ex St Christopher's garage, I know about that.

But it was appalling going through Worrall, a solid, but moving, queue in both directions.

Then it was backed right up Wadsley lane as far as Marlcliffe Rd, again not unknown.

I then discovered (because I park on the country side of the tram  gates on Middlewood Rd using my parking permit)  it was also backed up along Middlewood Rd - going out bound - as far as Minto Rd ! Incredibly it was also backed up city bound way past the same point ! There were huge queues at all the tram stops.

Slightly earlier in the day my wife said traffic along Middlewood Rd North was backed up (city bound) as far as the (ex) Middlewood tavern and just not moving at all.....

Edited by Justin Smith

Apparently there is work going on on Leppings Lane to clear debris from the river and its carnage round there, could be backing all the way up? 

42 minutes ago, Octopus99 said:

Apparently there is work going on on Leppings Lane to clear debris from the river and its carnage round there, could be backing all the way up? 

Maybe the rush hour isn`t the best time to do that.......

Think it's ongoing work that can't be cleared for the 'rush hour'.

Too many people traveling in the same direction at the same time probably.

It's no different anywhere.

I think the work is to try to help prevent flooding before the next lot of heavy rains, so I guess it's pretty important it's done as soon as possible. 

Has anyone been able to find out how long Leppings Lane is likely to be closed?

From Sheffield Online...

LEPPINGS LANE CLOSURE CAUSES TRAFFIC CHAOS 

UPDATE FROM STREETS AHEAD 

Apologies everyone we've had to close Leppings Lane this am to remove significant tree debris from the River Don prior to heavier rain forecast later today⚠️One lane is open inbound but its closed outbound. We will reopen it as soon as we can #Sheffield 🌧️

A stitch in time saves nine I guess

I'm pretty sure it was open again as I came past about an hour ago, saw a car turn down there (from Catch Bar Lane)

10 hours ago, Justin Smith said:

Maybe the rush hour isn`t the best time to do that.......

Emergency works tend not to care about time. 

More flood warnings were in place this morning. 

what I do not understand is that if the work had to take place in the rush hour why they did not open the tram gate for traffic at Hillsborough after all the trams were already caught up and severely delayed and it was quicker to walk to Hillsbrough