Vp Bays On Earl Marshall Road

I noticed these today, there are 4 of them painted on the road outside the new housing at the Barnsley Road end. They don't look official and don't appear to have any notices nearby giving any restrictions.

Does anybody know if this a new type of reserved parking (VP = Visitor Parking) or is it unofficial? 

Painted on the road itself or outside a property?

On the road itself.

19 hours ago, max said:

I noticed these today, there are 4 of them painted on the road outside the new housing at the Barnsley Road end. They don't look official and don't appear to have any notices nearby giving any restrictions.

Does anybody know if this a new type of reserved parking (VP = Visitor Parking) or is it unofficial? 

can't imagine anyone will go to the trouble of painting on the road apart from council so i would suspect official.

Around there parking is an absolute nightmare for locals because all the spaces are taken by NGH staff parking in every nook and cranny they can find. Often dangerously and without due care (across junctions, on pavements, across private driveways etc)  but SCC parking enforcement like to turn a blind eye to that. 

19 minutes ago, arrowhead said:

can't imagine anyone will go to the trouble of painting on the road apart from council so i would suspect official.

But why would the council go to the bother of painting bays when there's no enforcement sign in place?  Total waste of money.

They'll do a disabled bay for people who need it, but I've never heard of them installing visitor parking bays on the road.

Where exactly are the marked bays?

There's no new development on Earl Marshall Road itself?

There's one on Barnsley road just down from there?

6 hours ago, geared said:

Where exactly are the marked bays?

There's no new development on Earl Marshall Road itself?

There's one on Barnsley road just down from there?

The bays are outside this new development on Earl Marshall Road, although not showing on this image.

Birchlands Drive.

Because of the parking problems around that area people resort to painting no parking signs on the roads and even putting cones outside their homes

22 hours ago, arrowhead said:

Around there parking is an absolute nightmare for locals because all the spaces are taken by NGH staff parking in every nook and cranny they can find. Often dangerously and without due care (across junctions, on pavements, across private driveways etc)  but SCC parking enforcement like to turn a blind eye to that. 

SCC parking services (and every other council) are limited in what they can enforce.

They can only enforce an actual restriction like a yellow line or a permit parking bay.

They cannot enforce against people blocking drives or on parking footways where there is no restriction in place. Only the Police can do that if it is deemed to be obstruction. 

15 hours ago, Robbiet said:

Because of the parking problems around that area people resort to painting no parking signs on the roads and even putting cones outside their homes

I hate people who do this, so I steal the cones! (don't worry I just move them onto the pavement further down the street). 

You don't own the road outside your house and have absolutely no right to own it over any other motorist.

The aerial map that Max posted shows almost every house with a double driveway though.

Edited by alchresearch

2 hours ago, Planner1 said:

SCC parking services (and every other council) are limited in what they can enforce.

They can only enforce an actual restriction like a yellow line or a permit parking bay.

They cannot enforce against people blocking drives or on parking footways where there is no restriction in place. Only the Police can do that if it is deemed to be obstruction. 

They should be able to enforce against private individuals painting their own parking restrictions on the public highway though?

I know Leeds council did when I spotted something similar a while back, someone had put a sign up on a street there "No parking, you will be clamped"

They were round the next day and making them to take it down.

Edited by geared

18 hours ago, max said:

The bays are outside this new development on Earl Marshall Road, although not showing on this image.

Birchlands Drive.

Looking through some of the planning documents you can see a couple of plans where the visitor parking bays have been included in the drawings, there's also a few where the resolution is so poor you can't make them out.

Since these plans were approved the marked bays were also approved.  The question is why have the council allowed this?

One of the officers involved has their contact info in the planning documents so you could contact them?

Mark Simons

Principal Highways Development Control Officer

Highways Maintenance Client

Sheffield City Council

0114 273 6369

[email protected]

Edited by geared