Viruses Doing The Rounds

Must admit my missus and myself have both had a flue type cold for almost a week now, general lethargy, sore chest, runny nose and a persistent chesty cough, with a headache just to add to the fun. Her indoors does not have the annual flue jab, but due to health problems I have had it for many years, but seems to have failed this year.

Angel1

7 hours ago, El Cid said:

I havnt caught a cold, but I have had a sore throat and a cough. How have I caught it, by touching something or via someone breathing their germs in my direction?

I would guess that I caught it via an airbourne germ/virus. Got me thinking about this bug that has caused 6/7 schools to close in my local area, for a 'deep clean'.

What is the point of a deep clean if most germs are airbourne.

I believe the school closures are due to norovirus?

From https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/norovirus/

You can catch norovirus from:

• close contact with someone with norovirus
  • touching surfaces or objects that have the virus on them, then touching your mouth
  • eating food that's been prepared or handled by someone with norovirus
Edited by nikki-red

On 14/11/2019 at 16:47, petemcewan said:

is this real or not.

It says it's real. But the clue is in the word "Processed".

As it is an electron microscope then "processed" will probably mean its been colour processed as I believe electron microscopes are normally monochrome images.

Is there a nasty one going around at the moment as Ive got a horrible cough, shivers and pains .. anyone else got it?

Deep cleans are really important in schools, and especially hospitals where not only cold, flu and noroviruses are, but in hospitals there is MRSA. 

Although cold and flu viruses are airborne, it's really important at this time of year to wash their hands regularly, because the bugs are all over door handles, buttons on lifts etc. If you can't wash your hands, there are baby wipes as well as those alcohol hand gels.

These all sound like cases of the cold virus. With the flu your temperature has to go above a certain reading.

6 minutes ago, GinTreeS7 said:

Is there a nasty one going around at the moment as Ive got a horrible cough, shivers and pains .. anyone else got it?

At the weekend I started with a really sore throat, as well as sneezing a lot. By the afternoon I had most of the cold symptoms. Though I don't feel too bad now. It hasn't been a heavy cold, thankfully.

Some of my work colleagues have relatives who have had the flu, which is horrible to have. Mercifully the last time I had the flu was at the Millennium - so a long time ago. But I remember it well. I was bed bound, shivering while sweating, aching bones & chucking up every 10 minutes. Lasted for 3 weeks :gag:

Edited by Mister M

I have a compromised immune system, though recover quicker than most, i had an horrendous virus in Sept after going abroad, it has weakened my system even more, caused M.E flare Up, , since then, I have had all sorts of infections/bugs, including a chest one where I felt this was it, my chest was so tight/painful. I don't normally go to GP but did this time, but nothing came up.On my FB page for local support group, ME, lots of people saying worse for many years, and flu yet to come!

Edited by gamezone07

3 hours ago, nikki-red said:

I believe the school closures are due to norovirus?

You can catch norovirus from:

• close contact with someone with norovirus

Some viruses only last a matter of hours once they have left the host, it varies a great deal.

5 hours ago, Mister M said:

Deep cleans are really important in schools, and especially hospitals where not only cold, flu and noroviruses are, but in hospitals there is MRSA. 

Although cold and flu viruses are airborne, it's really important at this time of year to wash their hands regularly, because the bugs are all over door handles, buttons on lifts etc. If you can't wash your hands, there are baby wipes as well as those alcohol hand gels.

MRSA isn't found just in hospitals - it's to be found everywhere and is brought in by patients and relatives.

Just as a heads up with regards to Norovirus - be aware of shopping trolley handles, escalator and staircase handrails and door handles. Not everyone washes their hands after using the toilet and Norovirus spreads very easily from person to person in these ways.

Alcohol gels are of no use - soap and water are the best tools to reduce the risk.

Also - cases of influenza are on the increase and hospitals are admitting more people with flu related pneumonia. Hospitals are now preparing for another surge over Christmas and into January.

It's not too late to get your 'flu jab if you haven't had it already.

Stay well guys.

Edited by Daven

One of the worst things for spreading germs are the rails on a bus that you hold onto while standing up, or waiting to get off. Also loose change in your purse has been through a lot of hands. So I always wash my hands after getting home .

5 hours ago, pattricia said:

These all sound like cases of the cold virus. With the flu your temperature has to go above a certain reading.

I agree - the two times I've had flu I was as weak as a kitten, bed bound for a few days, hallucinating, aching all over.

Even with a very heavy cold I can drag myself to the pub to self medicate.