Gary Lineker And His Grandfather Stan - Italian campaign

Watched last nights programme where Gary Lineker was in Italy following the trail of his Grandfather Stan who was a medic during the Italian campaign

Could anyone advise a good book detailing the Italian campaign !

8 hours ago, Runningman said:

Watched last nights programme where Gary Lineker was in Italy following the trail of his Grandfather Stan who was a medic during the Italian campaign

Could anyone advise a good book detailing the Italian campaign !

The Eighth Army in Italy 1943-45 The Long Hard Slog by Richard Doherty is a good one from the British perspective.

4 hours ago, Ontarian1981 said:

The Eighth Army in Italy 1943-45 The Long Hard Slog by Richard Doherty is a good one from the British perspective.

Good morning Ontarian 1981 and thanks

The MC rarely get mentioned in books about WW 1 & 2. The men and women who served in the MC went through hell. The VC and bar has only been awarded 3 times 2 of these were to members of the MC.

On 13/11/2019 at 05:11, Ontarian1981 said:

Wasn`t the Eighth army in North Africa as well, which was also no joke.

2 minutes ago, Kidorry said:

Wasn`t the Eighth army in North Africa as well, which was also no joke.

Yes, they went directly to Sicily from North Africa after  their famous victory at El Alamein and the defeat of Rommel.

17 hours ago, Ontarian1981 said:

Yes, they went directly to Sicily from North Africa after  their famous victory at El Alamein and the defeat of Rommel.

My father was a tank driver with the 16/5th. Lancers during WW2.

Ontarian 1981 is correct, they thought they were due some leave after North Africa but, went straight on to Sicily where my father was injured, lost most of his right thigh, several shrapnel wounds and hearing loss, patched up and still continued with their  job. He used to sing the D-Day Dodgers song which is very enlightening  when you hear all the choruses, it's an insight into what really was happening with these chaps whilst others were getting all the glory for D-Day.

My father never claimed any benefits for his injuries, he just carried on as a lorry driver after the war though he was rather annoyed when he failed an interview for a job with Sheffield Corporation as a bus driver because he couldn't hear the bell because of his deafness due to shrapnel injuries!

My uncle in the Coldstream Guards was killed in Sicily in 1943 aged 21.

Regards,

Duffems

On 18/11/2019 at 09:51, DUFFEMS said:

My father was a tank driver with the 16/5th. Lancers during WW2.

Ontarian 1981 is correct, they thought they were due some leave after North Africa but, went straight on to Sicily where my father was injured, lost most of his right thigh, several shrapnel wounds and hearing loss, patched up and still continued with their  job. He used to sing the D-Day Dodgers song which is very enlightening  when you hear all the choruses, it's an insight into what really was happening with these chaps whilst others were getting all the glory for D-Day.

My father never claimed any benefits for his injuries, he just carried on as a lorry driver after the war though he was rather annoyed when he failed an interview for a job with Sheffield Corporation as a bus driver because he couldn't hear the bell because of his deafness due to shrapnel injuries!

My uncle in the Coldstream Guards was killed in Sicily in 1943 aged 21.

Regards,

Duffems

Is this the right version?

http://ingeb.org/songs/werethed.html