Shares In Sheffield United

What with the current legal machinations about shares and ownership of Sheffield United and the increased value of the club with regard to Premier League status I wondered if anyone knew what the sort of legal status is of the shares the fans bought years ago that were taken off the market and cannot afaik be traded and have no quoted value.

Its currently being reported that the legal wrangle with the prince includes £52m of shares being offered to him for £5m and that was their worth before promotion to Premier League so the 5p shares must be worth at least 6p by now.

I was left a original United share by my uncle, we had some good banter going between us me being an Owl and all that. He used to say I'm going to leave you my United share,  then you can go and see a proper team play at least once a fortnight.

Saved me a good few quid that share over the years,  I've been told that this is the last free season for original share holders.

It doesn't look as if anybody on the forum knows.   That's a pity!  There must be many people who also hold the old shares and are also unaware if there is any value in them.   All these "shareholders" get currently are copies of the annual reports and notification of AGM's etc.  That leads me to believe that there is probably some value in them.......

Odd this has come up,I listen to 5live to & from work and they had some guy on,not sure if it was this week or last,anyhow he was talking about investments and  how hed been looking to stick money into shares for his retirement some years ago and a friend of his advised him to stick them into a football club and the club mentioned was sheff utd,so he bought a fair block,around 5 or 10 grands worth at about 8p a share or summat simular but a small price,and he said hed never invest in football again as his shares were worth less today then when he bought them!

I don't know about the original United shares but the last lot, when like many football clubs, United were floated on the stock market for a while; wasn't that Mcdonald who initiated those shares?

However, when McCabe & Scarborough Holdings took over the running of the club & put it back into private ownership, meaning that it was a new company running things, so didn't that mean that all the shares issued under 'Sheffield United FC plc' or whatever was on the share certificates, basically became worthless as that company no longer existed?

There aren't many clubs that were floated on the stock market, basically off the back of the Premiership starting & the silly money rolling in, (where Joe public shareholders thought they were going to make a small  fortune), still actually trading on the stock market.  Most clubs are back where they started, in private ownership. 

Hindsight is a great thing but looking back at clubs persuading fans that they could have a say in how their clubs were being run by buying shares, was always going to be more perilous than investing in your average company which manufacturers something, as shareholder fans would have many opinions as to what's the best way to run a club.  Fans buying shares in clubs, would for the vast majority, always be destined to fail & leave you out of pocket as many were investing with their hearts & not their business heads. 

Edited by Baron99