Council Tax

Having sold my property  I'm renting for no more than a couple of months at a friends empty house before new home is ready, do I have to change council tax details for this short time even though I won't own the property.?.

Your friends, as owners, have to tell the Council that it's no longer empty and that you now occupy.

You are liable for Council Tax unless:

a. you're exempt- e.g. a student; or

b. you and your friends agreed that they will be liable.

BUT you and they cannot bind the Council in determining whether the CT bill in addressed to you or them.

58 minutes ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

Your friends, as owners, have to tell the Council that it's no longer empty and that you now occupy.

You are liable for Council Tax unless:

a. you're exempt- e.g. a student; or

b. you and your friends agreed that they will be liable.

BUT you and they cannot bind the Council in determining whether the CT bill in addressed to you or them.

I m going to pay the tax but wondered if I cant live there without altering the name, as its just for a month. Failing that I can live at a relatives, go on holiday, what would be the situation then?

Edited by pintor

You can pay your mate and he can then pay the council tax, if thats what you mean?

Obviously if your mate has the place listed as unoccupied then details need to be changed.

I have cleared it with the council now, thank you!

We got an air bnb place when we were 'in between' houses, that worked well for anyone in a similar situation.