Ambulo, Millennium Gallery

Has Ambulo changed hands or is it just struggling?  We went yesterday for lunch and were really disappointed.  The food was tasty enough, but the portions were tiny for the price.  We only saw one overrun waitress, and it took over 30 mins for our food to arrive, by which time our drinks were finished. 

It's a big high space, with hard chairs and tables, so nothing to dampen the noise, and although less than half full, it was deafening.  The whole experience felt really unsatisfactory.   Such a shame, as it was lovely when it first opened (apart from the noise!) 

we had much the same experience at the cafe/restaurant in Weston Park Museum which appears to be run by the same company. We decided there and then we wouldn't return.   Don't know who runs the cafe at the top of Botanical Gardens but that's also a no-no for us after waiting over 40 minutes for our order. With so much competition around you'd have thought that these people would up their game. Noise is so often a problem. I have hearing aids which makes "clamour" much worse and among other places I will not go back to are the restaurant at Wentworth garden centre and the cafe in Graves Park where mums and babies spend most of the day.  Muzak ? Don't get me started!

Yes, Ambulo was like a creche yesterday. I'm a parent, so I cope reasonably well with kids, but the screaming and unsupervised running about quickly wears your nerves down! 

6 hours ago, feargal said:

Has Ambulo changed hands or is it just struggling?  We went yesterday for lunch and were really disappointed.  The food was tasty enough, but the portions were tiny for the price.  We only saw one overrun waitress, and it took over 30 mins for our food to arrive, by which time our drinks were finished. 

It's a big high space, with hard chairs and tables, so nothing to dampen the noise, and although less than half full, it was deafening.  The whole experience felt really unsatisfactory.   Such a shame, as it was lovely when it first opened (apart from the noise!) 

Hasn't changed hands, still owned and operated by those who opened it.

Ambulo is part of the Rockingham group , I think - those 2 plus Pic House Social , Gatsby and PUBLIC. We also had a negative experience at the Wetson Park Ambulo and emailed the company.

On 15/11/2019 at 09:18, taxman said:

Ambulo at the Millennium Gallery has just been voted a runner up in the 2019 Observer Food Monthly awards for best bargain eateries.

Shrug.

Well! I don't agree with that.  Steam Yard for coffee and a bun though, now there is a winner 😊