Time To Ban xmas trees.

5 minutes ago, Albert the Cat said:

Ok, you can just do what we do is HIRE a tree.  It is delivered and all you need to do is keep it watered.  After the holidays, they come and collect it and they REPLANT it.

Easy.

Never heard that before Albert, good idea though, mobile Xmas tree's.

Watched Simon Reeve last night,  he was in Costa Rica....They have lost 600million trees due to deforestation, they are now replanting the trees , and making a huge success of it.

Most people have an artificial one now don’t they ?

6 hours ago, pattricia said:

Most people have an artificial one now don’t they ?

Oh yes, the plastic ones made from oil based raw materials is ever so environmentally friendly right?

I lament all the trees discarded after theyve been used for two weeks - but cant deny they look delightful in the windows and cheer ppl up

I save my old trees and use the trunks to make model trees on my lathe. A fiver each if anyone wants one..

On 08/11/2019 at 10:41, Padders said:

We should be planting more trees, not cutting them down.

totaly agree plenty of  artificial trees cheaper 

10 minutes ago, Yorkshireman1 said:

totaly agree plenty of  artificial trees cheaper 

And the environmental cost of those are....?

11 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

Can't be that much if you keep them over 20 years like we have. Saying that I have had the odd real one but they leave too much mess and now we are in an apartment , they are forbidden anyway as a fire risk.

3 hours ago, Robin-H said:

Very small if you use the same one year on year.

8 hours ago, Daven said:

Very small if you use the same one year on year.

I think you have to use them for at least 7-10 years for it to be the same (and then better) than getting a live Christmas Tree, although even then how you dispose of it remains an issue as it should be recycled. 

Unfortunately a lot of people replace their artificial trees more regularly than that, (and they then end up in landfill) although I don’t know what the average time is across the UK. I would hope it’s more than 10 years. 

On 08/11/2019 at 10:15, Padders said:

Why do we allow the callous and mindless slaughter of millions of Xmas trees every year?

Slaughter?

Do you have a problem with the "slaughter" of sprouts, cabbages and carrots etc? 😉

Joking aside,

I fully agree that trees are a vital part of the big picture but commercial farming of these trees, keeps trees growing. As said previously, if it was banned, the land would be sold and probably used for buildings. I know it's not the best answer but I would rather have a rotation of young trees on the land than more factories and office blocks.

I hope you have a good "treeless" xmas padders, I don't have either...Bah Humbug!!! (By that I mean, a good xmas but no trees or decorations)

7 million natural Xmas trees sold this Xmas, according to Saturdays paper, wonder how many world wide.