Time To Ban xmas trees.

9 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

Saving the planet plus it's population and wildlife is far more important than  the commercial interests of the Christmas tree growers.

How much wood / wood based products have you got in your house?

I know that in mine I've got more than a lifetimes worth of Christmas trees. To replace it all - what would I use - plastic? metal?

Hi Longcol,

Yes I do parlez daft.

Regarding wood, - yes there is some in my house although not such a lot. I'm sure you won't find a house which doesn't contain wood products but does that prove anything?.

It doesn't have to be replaced because you can't put the trees back in the ground and that damage has already been done. Lets just say we have learned something and vow to be better 

Like most other people, all mine was bought before we realised the serious state of this planet.

We do now make efforts to modify our behaviour as much as possible and, before you ask, our Christmas tree is artificial and at least 20 years old.

It may not be possible to change our lifestyles completely but, if we all make the biggest effort we can, with a sense of responsibility, we should have an effect without needing legislation to ban everything.

Responsible adult humans should not need to be told what to do. If we can't handle managing without a real Christmas tree then God help us when the planet dies. 

9 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Hi Longcol,

Yes I do parlez daft.

Regarding wood, - yes there is some in my house although not such a lot. I'm sure you won't find a house which doesn't contain wood products but does that prove anything?.

It doesn't have to be replaced because you can't put the trees back in the ground and that damage has already been done. Lets just say we have learned something and vow to be better 

Like most other people, all mine was bought before we realised the serious state of this planet.

We do now make efforts to modify our behaviour as much as possible and, before you ask, our Christmas tree is artificial and at least 20 years old.

It may not be possible to change our lifestyles completely but, if we all make the biggest effort we can, with a sense of responsibility, we should have an effect without needing legislation to ban everything.

Responsible adult humans should not need to be told what to do. If we can't handle managing without a real Christmas tree then God help us when the planet dies. 

I would imagine there is a large amount in the structure of the building;

eg most roofs https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domestic_roof_construction#Construction_of_a_rafter_roof

Not to mention floors, door frames, doors, cupboards etc - maybe external fences?

Any ideas what to replace it all with that is more sustainable than wood?

Edited by Longcol

18 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Hi Longcol,

Yes I do parlez daft.

You have still failed to explain why buying real trees is bad for the planet. Do you know how many extra trees are grown in the UK because of the live Christmas Tree market? And that's somehow bad for the planet! 

53 minutes ago, Longcol said:

I would imagine there is a large amount in the structure of the building;

eg most roofs https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domestic_roof_construction#Construction_of_a_rafter_roof

Not to mention floors, door frames, doors, cupboards etc - maybe external fences?

Any ideas what to replace it all with that is more sustainable than wood?

I fail to see your point.

My house is, I imagine like every other house and I have already said was built before these threats to the planet were known.

I also have already said that it doesn't need replacing so I am not interested in your argument.

If you are trying to prove that we can't live without using any resources at all, I already know that but that doesn't give us the right to squander every resource without care.

I will carry on doing my best to use no more of the earths resources than I have to as I have children, grandchildren and great grandchildren and have to think of their future.

If you don't care about the younger generation then I pity you

51 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

You have still failed to explain why buying real trees is bad for the planet. Do you know how many extra trees are grown in the UK because of the live Christmas Tree market? And that's somehow bad for the planet! 

If you don't see that a tree is better in the ground than in your lounge then any explanation of mine will not convince you otherwise and I will repeat what I have just said in my previous post -

If you don't care about the younger generation then I pity you too and all who think like you.

If you did manage to change anyone's mind who thinks like me, you would only have won the debate and lost the planet so my view is unchanged.

11 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

I fail to see your point.

My house is, I imagine like every other house and I have already said was built before these threats to the planet were known.

I also have already said that it doesn't need replacing so I am not interested in your argument.

If you are trying to prove that we can't live without using any resources at all, I already know that but that doesn't give us the right to squander every resource without care.

I will carry on doing my best to use no more of the earths resources than I have to as I have children, grandchildren and great grandchildren and have to think of their future.

If you don't care about the younger generation then I pity you

So what do you suggest we use to build houses for future generations?

Edited by Longcol

My original question was..

Due to the world protesting about climate change, and deforestation,  why then do we fell Xmas trees so people can have them in their living room for a couple of weeks, sheer vandalism.

However Robin has given a good explanation as to how and why it happens, (thanks Robin)..

I have no objection whatsoever about trees being felled for the benefit of mankind, but not Xmas trees, I just got a bee in my bonnet, and thought they should be banned.. cheers guys.

Congratulation Padders I award you TROLL of 2019.

4 minutes ago, davyboy said:

Congratulation Padders I award you TROLL of 2019.

Cheers Davy I will treasure that award    🥇

16 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

If you don't see that a tree is better in the ground than in your lounge then any explanation of mine will not convince you otherwise and I will repeat what I have just said in my previous post -

If you don't care about the younger generation then I pity you too and all who think like you.

If you did manage to change anyone's mind who thinks like me, you would only have won the debate and lost the planet so my view is unchanged.

Then I don’t think you understand how sustainable commercial forestry works, it’s enviro impact, and the difference in Co2 sequestration rates between a sustainable commercial forest and any other. 

There is no reason why you would understand it if it isn’t something you’ve looked into before and so this isn’t meant as a dig at you, but I suggest you look into at as I think you’ll find assumptions you may have are incorrect. 

Presumably you think if nobody bought live Christmas Trees then the amount of Co2 we produce as a country would reduce, or do you have another reason why you dislike them? 

Ok, you can just do what we do is HIRE a tree.  It is delivered and all you need to do is keep it watered.  After the holidays, they come and collect it and they REPLANT it.

Easy.