Can We Really Trust The Tyre Experts?

Motorists are always advised by the various motoring organisations to have all tyre problems fixed by the experts.My wifes car was coming up for test and I decided to have two new front tyres fitted.Being lazy I just took it to the nearest place which was a large organisation with depots all over the country. When the tyres were fitted I was advised the rear tyres needed replacing and so did the front  brake pads.Having fitted brake pads only a couple of months earlier and happy in the knowledge there was 4.5 mm of tread on the tyres I declined his offer.Driving home the car appeared to bounce and not handle quite right,so when I got there I checked the wheel nuts and tyre pressures.There was 19 psi in one tyre and 53 psi in the other.So much for trusting the experts,no point in going back I couldn't prove anything.Will just avoid the place like the plague and tell people I know to do the same.

Big difference between a tyre expert and a tyre fitter. 

My local ATS used to have all the newspaper reports of KwikFit’s various sharp practices made up into a collage in the waiting room.

On the question of sharp practices, always ask for the old parts back when having things like clutch plates, release bearings, brake disc etc. replaced. That way they are much less likely to pretend that the job had been done and still charge for the parts. 👍

6 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

My local ATS used to have all the newspaper reports of KwikFit’s various sharp practices made up into a collage in the waiting room.

On the question of sharp practices, always ask for the old parts back when having things like clutch plates, release bearings, brake disc etc. replaced. That way they are much less likely to pretend that the job had been done and still charge for the parts. 👍

Problem there is they could give you any old part back off any car and tell you that they are the bits they have replaced 

once went to Kwik Fit about my wifes car with an exhaust that made a clanging noise,we were told that a new system was required at £180,I declined and went to another garage that said all that was needed was a bracket that was £10 fitted 

If you see or hear a tyre fitting  company using an air gun to tighten wheel nuts, that's the time to go elsewhere!

1 hour ago, alchresearch said:

If you see or hear a tyre fitting  company using an air gun to tighten wheel nuts, that's the time to go elsewhere!

Especially if they fit locking wheel nuts with air gun. Only ever put them with hand pressure 

1 hour ago, rudds1 said:

Especially if they fit locking wheel nuts with air gun. Only ever put them with hand pressure 

No problem using a low pressure air gun to run the nuts up, then of course they are finished by using a torque wrench. Never seen a pro garage who did not hand torque to the desired setting. My last visit to Kwik Fit for a puncture entailed hand torquing to finish. 

Angel1.