Spurs V Blades

On 11/11/2019 at 21:50, barry-333 said:

I agree, also  Dearden got clobbered in the first 10 mins to slow him down and unfortunately he was quiet for the rest of the match.  What an atmospere in there though

Never realised that about Dearden. Unfortunately atmosphere came  almost entirely from the massed ranks of home fans a good number of whom were certifiable psychopaths when the "Red Army" terrorized Europe.  I got in the ground at 1-30pm and I think the gates were closed at 2pm with thousands of Blades locked out

Games  those days weren't all ticket with designated seating,  and minimal, if any, security in the grounds. You took your life in your hands going away in those days.

😀

On 15/11/2019 at 05:53, Ridgewalk said:

Never realised that about Dearden. Unfortunately atmosphere came  almost entirely from the massed ranks of home fans a good number of whom were certifiable psychopaths when the "Red Army" terrorized Europe.  I got in the ground at 1-30pm and I think the gates were closed at 2pm with thousands of Blades locked out

Games  those days weren't all ticket with designated seating,  and minimal, if any, security in the grounds. You took your life in your hands going away in those days.

😀

Our party of 4 were in the ground pretty early as we were advised to by the Stretford end supporters and they told us beer was cheaper in the ground and there was never any trouble at games just a few hooligans now and again

We went to many away grounds around that time and never saw any trouble anywhere.  Liverpool was the best welcome we got but they are bad losers but never saw any trouble

On 15/11/2019 at 05:53, Ridgewalk said:

😀

9 hours ago, barry-333 said:

Our party of 4 were in the ground pretty early as we were advised to by the Stretford end supporters and they told us beer was cheaper in the ground and there was never any trouble at games just a few hooligans now and again

We went to many away grounds around that time and never saw any trouble anywhere.  Liverpool was the best welcome we got but they are bad losers but never saw any trouble

We, me early teens, Mum and Dad were in the same stand as the telly cameras, my recollection of the goals is similar to the view on the telly recordings. We were surrounded by ManU fans and to be honest I felt more intimidated there than at any other ground we ever attended.

Richard

17 hours ago, Vasquez Rich said:

We, me early teens, Mum and Dad were in the same stand as the telly cameras, my recollection of the goals is similar to the view on the telly recordings. We were surrounded by ManU fans and to be honest I felt more intimidated there than at any other ground we ever attended.

Richard

Man U have more dedicated supporters all over the world. I have been there for quite a few Blades matches. I was at Bobby Charltons last match, the Blades won 2-1 and there supporters did not like it but NO trouble

I always felt safe going to away matches in the 70s and 80s but the whole world today is very different now mainly due to the powers that be. Violence is common place now and very little punishment

Todays away supporters are treated like being animals and herded about.

Violence is not footballs fault

On 17/11/2019 at 11:48, barry-333 said:

Man U have more dedicated supporters all over the world. I have been there for quite a few Blades matches. I was at Bobby Charltons last match, the Blades won 2-1 and there supporters did not like it but NO trouble

I always felt safe going to away matches in the 70s and 80s but the whole world today is very different now mainly due to the powers that be. Violence is common place now and very little punishment

I have been to many many away matches with United over the years and I can't say I've ever felt unsafe at any point, not that long ago me and the rest of us were only 16 going to these matches. That being said we always got the transport we never went via the trains. Living close to the centre I do notice the way the away fans coming to the lane are herded through town but again I can't say I've ever experienced any issues away or at home with violence... seen a few lads argue between each other on the Kop once or twice mind. 

On 17/11/2019 at 11:48, barry-333 said:

I watched the Owls at old Trafford must have been in the 70's stood on the Stratford end among the mostly home fans , no problems what so ever,     mind you Wednesday got hammered that day ,but that did not stop the day being an enjoyable memory .

Edited by TomMix

Have to say my experience of being a teenage football fan in the early seventies and the subject of violence is very different to some on here.

On 18/11/2019 at 14:45, Ridgewalk said:

Have to say my experience of being a teenage football fan in the early seventies and the subject of violence is very different to some on here.

To be fair i think things like that tend to be quite subjective depending on where you go, who you go against etc. - that's definitely not to say it didn't occur but was it as widespread as is portrayed generally?

1 hour ago, overtheborder said:

To be fair i think things like that tend to be quite subjective depending on where you go, who you go against etc. - that's definitely not to say it didn't occur but was it as widespread as is portrayed generally?

In all honesty i think it was, my opinion and experience obviously. Culminated in massively lower crowds, by the 1980' hooliganism was destroying football. Example I remember a United v Leeds derby when there were 10,000 there. This was mirrored throughout football.

Ultimately we had Heysel and Hillsborough. Fencing built around the pitch contributed to the huge loss of life.

How anyone could argue that this was all " subjective" is frankly beyond me

1 hour ago, overtheborder said:

Could you just clarify what you mean by " where you go" and " who you go against" ?

Cheers

On 18/11/2019 at 12:47, Tomm06 said:

I have been to many many away matches with United over the years and I can't say I've ever felt unsafe at any point, not that long ago me and the rest of us were only 16 going to these matches. That being said we always got the transport we never went via the trains. Living close to the centre I do notice the way the away fans coming to the lane are herded through town but again I can't say I've ever experienced any issues away or at home with violence... seen a few lads argue between each other on the Kop once or twice mind. 

Well it's a much safer experience now. You are obviously young " not that long ago....only 16", we're referring to the early 1970s.   Last time I looked trains were classed as " transport"

On 21/11/2019 at 11:30, Ridgewalk said:

In all honesty i think it was, my opinion and experience obviously. Culminated in massively lower crowds, by the 1980' hooliganism was destroying football. Example I remember a United v Leeds derby when there were 10,000 there. This was mirrored throughout football.

Ultimately we had Heysel and Hillsborough. Fencing built around the pitch contributed to the huge loss of life.

How anyone could argue that this was all " subjective" is frankly beyond me

Could you just clarify what you mean by " where you go" and " who you go against" ?

Yeah that's fair, to be honest I'm speaking as someone who wasn't around then so it's good to get clarification on things i think, sometimes history can be exaggerated that's all, my point wasn't so much that it never happened.

What i meant by that was for instance if you're someone who walks into the middle of a group of away supporters and starts causing trouble, you may see more violence than someone who makes the effort to go to quieter pubs etc. - also you may see more trouble at a game between two teams with a fierce rivalry than one where the supporters are quite friendly towards each other.