Spurs V Blades

Getting fed up with all the hoof ball. Only 23 passes in the build up to Baldock"s goal.

Seriously though this might just be the best Blades team I've ever seen.

13 hours ago, atticus said:

Getting fed up with all the hoof ball. Only 23 passes in the build up to Baldock"s goal.

Seriously though this might just be the best Blades team I've ever seen.

It's got to be. How high did Bassett and Warnock's premier league teams finish ? Golden era at the lane definitely

1 hour ago, redbig said:

It's got to be. How high did Bassett and Warnock's premier league teams finish ? Golden era at the lane definitely

Eh ! Not sure  how old you are but United’s history does go back beyond 30 odd years .

For example in 1971 United were top of the old first division and unbeaten until October when Man Utd , Best, Law, Charlton etc beat us 2-0.  In 1975 we ended the season in 6th place ( think it was 75). The era of Currie, Woodward, Badger etc could better be described as a “ Golden Era”, older Blades will have had other experiences.

This current side has the potential to exceed that and the signs are good. Let’s indeed hope that it will become a “ Golden Era”

2 hours ago, redbig said:

I seem to remember Mr Bassetts team finished around 9th in the year the Owls finished 3rd. Warnock unfortunately has failed to keep any team in the Premier League and they were relegated after one season.

1 hour ago, Ridgewalk said:

Eh ! Not sure  how old you are but United’s history does go back beyond 30 odd years .

For example in 1971 United were top of the old first division and unbeaten until October when Man Utd , Best, Law, Charlton etc beat us 2-0.  In 1975 we ended the season in 6th place ( think it was 75). The era of Currie, Woodward, Badger etc could better be described as a “ Golden Era”, older Blades will have had other experiences.

This current side has the potential to exceed that and the signs are good. Let’s indeed hope that it will become a “ Golden Era”

Different era, different style, but that early 70s team was the best I have seen until now. I was at Old Trafford that day with my mum and dad. Best did sod all for 85 mins, then Hemsley had to go off, that opened that leftside channel and the rest is history. Hope, Badger, Hemsley, Flynn, Colquhoun, Hockey, Woody, Scullion, Dearden, Currie, Salmons (I think!) I do recall the Stretford End chanting "Hockey is a werewolf!"

Richard

1 hour ago, Vasquez Rich said:

Different era, different style, but that early 70s team was the best I have seen until now. I was at Old Trafford that day with my mum and dad. Best did sod all for 85 mins, then Hemsley had to go off, that opened that leftside channel and the rest is history. Hope, Badger, Hemsley, Flynn, Colquhoun, Hockey, Woody, Scullion, Dearden, Currie, Salmons (I think!) I do recall the Stretford End chanting "Hockey is a werewolf!"

Richard

I have to agree with you.    I've been a Blade over 50 years and that has to be the best team I've ever seen !!

4 hours ago, Ridgewalk said:

I'd say it already is, 2 promotions, style of football. To fans of a certain age it's definitely been 4-5 years of success and doesn't look like ending any time soon.

I see Basham made Garth Crooks team of the week, after he picked Lundstram last week. Wonder if the usually ignorant pundits are finally seeing some sense?

Richard

On 10/11/2019 at 03:16, Ridgewalk said:

Wasn't the real Spurs 

Couldnt get their usual passing game together. Phil Thompson gave the secret away

Apologies.  Thought you were having a dig at them, rather than the pundits. 

Find it funny to listen to some of them trying to work out this brilliant new footballing system that Wilder has come up with. 

They're also forgetting the shifts the players have to put in to make it work. 

Jamie Redknapp in this morning's Daily Mail is touting Chris Wilder to be named Manager of the Year.

Jose Mourinho on Sky football yesterday wanted to include us as a top 4 contender.

A Spurs fan (reluctantly) said on line on Saturday that the last time he saw a team play like us was Barcelona against Villareal in the Nou Camp under Pep.

Just incredible times to be a Blade. 

Edited by abbeyedges

8 hours ago, Brooker11 said:

I seem to remember Mr Bassetts team finished around 9th in the year the Owls finished 3rd. Warnock unfortunately has failed to keep any team in the Premier League and they were relegated after one season.

The question wasn’t about Wednesday, but there you go

8 hours ago, Vasquez Rich said:

Richard

I was also there. Helmsley, I recollect,  came off at about 75 minutes. He wasn’t injured apparently, but Harris substituted him as a tactical measure. Reece, our Welsh winger was then  expected to manage against the best winger in Europe at the time. Gowling scored the second