Motoring Question In Regards Of Road Tax

Hello peeps. 

I want to ask someone who knows their stuff, without any speculation, if i can drive my car or not. I bought a car from dealer yesterday, all paperwork sigbed, transferred my insurance etc. But road tax is expired, car was repossessed after failed finance, and only had V62 form, instead of V5C or V11. Now im anxious to drive it until it actually shows that it is taxed. 

Can’t you just go online and tax it ?

Not really, it requires some reference numbers from V62 form and I dont have it, only dealers can send them out. Well, at least ive been told so, so i only filled in direct debit form that they will register in post office... 

My dealer did online tax front of me in my name and then sent off all the documents,although it wasn't exactly the same as your scenario.

In reality you can try to get away with it but the truth is if you're stopped or ANPR'd it could become messy.

You'd also have to park it on a driveway at home until it was taxed.

If it's not taxed then don't drive it.

Also be very warey of repossession cars, alot of dealers won't touch them due to the alarmingly high number that end up being intentionally damaged by the previous owner due to spite.

4 hours ago, egasso said:

and only had V62 form, instead of V5C or V11. 

You should be able to tax it at a Post Office with a V62 as long as it is showing insured and MOT’d on the DVLA database.

Edited by Top Cats Hat

20 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

You should be able to tax it at a Post Office with a V62 as long as it is showing insured and MOT’d on the DVLA database.

According to this you need the V5C logbook or your V5C/2 if you’ve just bought the vehicle or V11

If you don’t have any of these, you need to apply for a new V5C. Fill out a V62 form, which you can pick up at your Post Office. The cost is £25.

https://www.postoffice.co.uk/identity/vehicle-tax

And:

If you do not have a V5C or new keeper slip

If you’re the current keeper, you must apply for a new V5C and tax your vehicle at a Post Office. This costs £25 and it can take 4 to 6 weeks to get the new V5C.

If you’re the new keeper, you cannot tax your vehicle without a new keeper slip.

You’ll need to apply for a new V5C (you can also get the form from the Post Office.) This costs £25 and it can take 4 to 6 weeks to get the new V5C.

https://www.gov.uk/car-tax-disc-without-v11-reminder

Edited by alchresearch

1 hour ago, alchresearch said:

According to this you need the V5C logbook or your V5C/2 if you’ve just bought the vehicle or V11

They must have changed it then when they got rid of tax discs. Taxing it on a V62 ensured that keeper details were kept up to date.

if theres no log book it has to be taken off rd for upto 6 weeks while new owner details are updated thats what happened to me this year took 5 weeks has t be on a drive or garage

Edited by Hans-solo

If you bought the car from a dealer he should have a V5C document with the previous owners details in.Dealers don't have to send the document in when they purchase a car, neither does the person who sold it to him.Be very wary of a vehicle without a V5C, always let the seller obtain one before you buy.This applies whether you are buying privately or from a dealer.Contrary to popular opinion a vehicle does not have to be insured in order to obtain tax,this is because DVLA run continuous repeated checks on insurance and will soon pounce if you don't insure it but it is not checked at the point of taxation.Don't forget if you now own the car you will have to SORN it if you have not got the correct legal requirements,even if it is only for a day.

13 hours ago, ivan edake said:

If you bought the car from a dealer he should have a V5C document with the previous owners details in.

In theory, yes.  But from reading the OP I think the paperwork might have been lost or destroyed or kept by the previous owner in the repossession.