Fireworks Being Used As Weapons

5 hours ago, DerbyTup said:

When I was a kid we used to take fireworks around with us on Halloween for "Trick or Treat" purposes.  Anyone who failed to give us some money (because it was about money then, not about sweets, and we didn't used to dress up in daft "scary" costumes, we just had a turnip with a face carved in it and a little candle burning inside) got the "Trick".  The trick was, shoving a lit banger through their letter box.   I've also lobbed a lit "jumping jack" down someone's gennel  aimed "Air Bomb repeaters" at folks's houses and set rockets off horizontally down the road to chase cars.   These were common practices in the village where I grew up as a kid.   It was great fun!  Very wrong of course - but great fun all the same.  

I'm glad I have matured into a fine, upstanding, public-spirited citizen and a pillar of the local community.  😃

I'm  glad you have, I wouldn't  have liked to have lived near you.

Edited by jaffa1

5 hours ago, nightrider said:

There is one in Walkley too that has appeared.

Did someone call the police? Those youths are effectively threatening the public with projectile explosive weapons - something the police should come down on hard and fast in my opinion.

My wife saw some video of cops hiding behind a wall while the morons were throwing fireworks at old folks and dogs etc. It's all over the internet she says, and all the footage is from Sheffield.World famous eh?

Edited by Ontarian1981

On 07/11/2019 at 14:51, jaffa1 said:

I'm  glad you have, I wouldn't  have liked to have lived near you.

I don't blame you!  But it wasn't just me of course.  This was not unusual behaviour in the village where I grew up.  And it wasn't just about fireworks on Halloween or any other time of year.  There was a gang culture, although it wasn't about drugs.   It was about the grim desperation of bored youth with nothing in life to look forward to, apart from getting a job at the pit, getting married and having lots of kids, and eating, drinking and smoking yourself into an early grave.  

I found an escape route from that kind of society.  It's called ambition.  Believing that life doesn't have to be the same for you as it was for your parents, and grandparents, and past generations gone by.  It's based on being forward looking and setting your sights on a better life, then working hard to ensure you get it - and treating people the right way, along the way, is key to it.   

I like where we live now, because we don't have gangs of delinquent youths hanging around outside the shops or on street corners, terrorising folks or just being a bloody nuisance - like I was a kid.  The mold has been broken.  Thank goodness!😶

Guest makapaka
2 hours ago, DerbyTup said:

I found an escape route from that kind of society.  It's called ambition.  Believing that life doesn't have to be the same for you as it was for your parents, and grandparents, and past generations gone by.  It's based on being forward looking and setting your sights on a better life, then working hard to ensure you get it - and treating people the right way, along the way, is key to it. 

Have you just read this on your desk calendar?

cheers Branson.