Fireworks Being Used As Weapons

Going down Barber Rd to Sainsburies earlier tonight, I saw an incident where several youths were launching fireworks across the road, apparently aiming them at a shop. There was a small crowd of students in front of me who were being held up, clearly fearful of walking ahead due to the fact that powerful fireworks where being launched horizontally and exploding in the road. As it calmed down and I continued towards Sainsburies, looking up the side road where they had run to, there was a firework going off under a car!

Two nights ago, I was on the Wicker- again there were several large explosions up in front, people looking rightfully scared. Someone had aimed fireworks into one of the shops and was now banging on the door that had been closed, seemingly deranged and obviously had some issue with the shop owner.

I don't really go out much at night this time of year, so the fact that I've seen two seperate instances of fireworks being used as weapons, suggests that this is more common than you'd suppose?

Has anyone else encountered this kind of thing this year?

It's sickening to think what would have happened if someone had been stood in the middle of it- these were not small explosions- these are instances of fireworks being used as firearms.

sounds as bad as abbeydale road last year,it needs sorting to arranged shows only i think

Guest makapaka

Was in the Washington pub at the weekend and someone through one through the pub door - d heads.

on another note - the house on the back of ours has decided to let off fireworks at 1015 and they’re still going on now - idiots.

I think we are nearing the point where we have to stop selling fireworks to the general public.

It is a shame really, as they are great fun when used correctly. Unfortunately, we seem to have a subset of the human race who are unable to behave in a civilised manner. Ultimately, that will spoil the fun for all of us.

Typical really. This happens all the time.

A few morons and laws have to be changed to ruin things for everyone. It's inevitable that they will end up banned.

I saw on another forum someone wrote ''they should only allow professional firework displays'' - who is they? and who is going to organise and pay for it?

Some people call it progress, I call it as I said.

Sainsburys have now stopped  selling them a decision I fully commend and hopefully others will follow  but there are loads of these "questionable" pop up shops that come along every year selling some expensive potentially dangerous explosives  time to ban them away from events.

15 minutes ago, *_ash_* said:

Typical really. This happens all the time.

A few morons and laws have to be changed to ruin things for everyone. It's inevitable that they will end up banned.

I saw on another forum someone wrote ''they should only allow professional firework displays'' - who is they? and who is going to organise and pay for it?

Some people call it progress, I call it as I said.

Theres been a petition every year for at least the last 5 years to ban them apart from organised events. 
Surely the Police , A&E  and the RSPCA etc would want them stopped. 

Edited by nikki-red

I love fireworks,handled correctly theyre perfectly safe,much safer then when I was a nipper.

But over the last few years an event thats supposed to be all about one day has become a month long fiasco,with partys at pubs weeks before the actual date and the powerfull mortar type fireworks normally on show at events now accessible to all and sundry and frequently missused.

Ive an autistic child and his Mom has 3 dogs,its a total nightmare for them this time of year,the dogs darent leave the house,spend the entire evening and early night shaking,they even go off at her end at gone midnight on any given night for around a month.

My son really cant take all the noise,and so a centurys old tradition has been hijacked to inflict pain and suffering to others.Its a shame but I reckon the time has come to end the misery to others and ban fireworks,apart from organised events,all because we live in an age respect for other people in local communities has long since dissapeared from our fractured society.

26 minutes ago, nikki-red said:

Theres been a petition every year for at least the last 5 years to ban them apart from organised events. 
Surely the Police , A&E  and the RSPCA etc would want them stopped. 

Imagine the price then with new laws needed for this. I can't see many people seeing any gain in putting one together. And what if you don't live anywhere where there is one?

I did 1 taxi drop to the don bowl earlier and going no where near again. A nightmare! No way that's any fun.

A couple of years ago I got invited to a small house party... adults chatting and having a drink, kids playing... then they enjoy a few fireworks. That's gone. What harm there?

-

Make fireworks illegal and you'll see different streets alright. Black markets, home made, kids have youtube and phones these days.  I just don't think total ban would work. How are these petitions going?

34 minutes ago, Fudbeer said:

Sainsburys have now stopped  selling them a decision I fully commend and hopefully others will follow  but there are loads of these "questionable" pop up shops that come along every year selling some expensive potentially dangerous explosives  time to ban them away from events.

I'm glad they have too. Selling fireworks in a supermarket slows down the service time, because of rules and ages etc.

They've cut so many staff at the big one, that getting served is far slower than it used to be, so I'm glad of this.

303,700. That's all that could be bothered to sign the on line petition out of how many million people in the UK.

More signatures are needed before anyone will take notice.

Please sign up before next year and help get them banned. 

Children, dogs, elderly, disabled, service veterans the list is long for who are adversely affected yet only a few actually sign up.

Fireworks can be fun....they can be pretty and enjoyable but the fact is that they are explosives. They have to ban the sale to the general public before areas of cities become no go areas at this time of year due to mindless idiots using them as dangerous weapons.

Animals, pets  farm animals and wildlife are frightened by them as are vulnerable people e.g. people with autism, PTSD and the elderly. 

I am not a kill joy but as a child bonfire night was just that...it was one night when families got together for food and fun and fireworks. Now it goes on for weeks and turns areas into virtual war zones. 

there are approx 60 tennants associations in this city,a big display costs about £1,500 for 20 mins,a few stewards ,the funfair will pay for all if not most of the fireworks or the lottery,then you need some land,form a committee and its sorted,just make sure you follow the rules by scc

and get police/firebrigade advice,that way every area can have a free firework display ,,and stop all these problems,or most as we get little or non in our area,where we do this,might even make money for charitys,now that would be good.