Great Grey Shrike In Totley?

Apparently, this very rare bird has been spotted in the woods near Aldam Road at Totley.

Just thought I'd let anyone who's interested know about it.

It's just something I've been told and there's no concrete evidence, but it's maybe worth a look if you're in the area.

It'd be a couple of hours out in the fresh air, whatever.

Thanks for that  !

However, please don't publish far and wide

Very strange and interesting bird, weak feet so it evolved to impale it's prey on anything available, including barbed wire!

There's nothing on the SBSG website or on birdguides to suggest that there's a 

GG shrike in Totley. I'll have a look later, as they might be a bit slow on the report.

Like I said above, it's only third hand hear say evidence.

Did anyone spot anything?

On 10/11/2019 at 16:22, YourTech said:

Very strange and interesting bird, weak feet so it evolved to impale it's prey on anything available, including barbed wire!

It is the 'Vlad the impaler' of birds no less.  Isn't it wonderful though how nature equips creatures to survive and compensate for not having much of something, by giving it more of something else?  It's the same with human's too.  I have a good personality for example.:blush:  

I occasionally run up through the woods near Totley, up to Holmesfield.  I'll keep an eye out for this Grey Shrike and report back if I see anything.

Edited by DerbyTup

On 05/12/2019 at 06:23, DerbyTup said:

It is the 'Vlad the impaler' of birds no less.  Isn't it wonderful though how nature equips creatures to survive and compensate for not having much of something, by giving it more of something else?  It's the same with human's too.  I have a good personality for example.:blush:  

I occasionally run up through the woods near Totley, up to Holmesfield.  I'll keep an eye out for this Grey Shrike and report back if I see anything.

I know the Red Backed Shrike is an impaler.

As for the GG Shrike, I haven't got a clue.I suppose 'Shrike' gives one some sort of a clue though. :)

7 hours ago, Hotmale 1954 said:

I know the Red Backed Shrike is an impaler.

As for the GG Shrike, I haven't got a clue.I suppose 'Shrike' gives one some sort of a clue though. :)

Is that what the prey exclaims as it’s being impaled?😲