Should The Public Take Back Control Of Buses In Our Region?

ok, here is my slant.   

The buses in this city do not support the workers.

Take the 52 bus route for example, if you get on at Wisewood with your destination just beyond Handsworth - Retford road, you have many problems.

1st problem is that two operators run two different routes.   One from crookes to woodhouse, but using a different route to the other operator.    So, you are omitted from using one operator because it doesn't go from anywhere near walkable from your current location.

The 2nd problem is, sometimes the 52a that comes from Wisewood terminates at the city centre.   What use is that when you want to go all the way past Handsworth?

Then you run into all kinds of other problems.   Several times a month, the bus you are on will change half journey, so when you got on it was going to your destination but then in town it stops and says "everybody off"  - they were changed half way.    What use is that when you paid cash and don't pay by prepay card?

So the return journey gets even worse.

The first two buses that pass you say "crookes" - it's after 5pm but yet they don't go all the way into Hillsborough which would be walkable to your house at wisewood, albeit at a fast pace and still taking 20 minutes.     The next one you expected to say either Wisewood or Loxley then says "City" - so you let that one pass too, you've been waiting 45 minutes already, but what does that matter when they advertise "every 10 minutes"

So you get on the 52a (that you had to walk to that bus stop to an extra 3/4 of a mile so that you could get either the 52 or the 52a (because they run different routes, and that's the first stop that they both stop at so you have a double chance of a bus home!)  and when it gets past the Children's hospital it changes to "Broomhill" which is no use nor ornament at that stage, because at least in town you could have got off and got on a tram to Hillsborough, but once it gets to Broomhill, you have to walk up and over Crookes and then down into Hillsborough, and the finally up to Wisewood.

What I describe above, and many variants of the above, are weekly occurrences.     I can only presume other routes suffer the same.

Edited by YourTech

And this my slant . I’ve got a car . Even if buses were free I would not use them . 

I don’t see why I should subsidise buses when I don’t use them . 

4 minutes ago, modforlife said:

And this my slant . I’ve got a car . Even if buses were free I would not use them . 

For medical reasons I cannot drive.   However for other reasons, many people who do drive should rethink their stance but refuse to.

I know someone who drives 1.2 miles to work.   I pointed out to her that I often get off the bus just past the roundabout closest to the asda at Handsworth that is next to the parkway and walk the rest of the way in  (30 minutes walk max at a decent rate).   She asked why in gods name would I do that.   My reply was that I enjoy the walk.

She thought I was off my head, but equally I think she is off hers.

Edited by YourTech

38 minutes ago, YourTech said:

ok, here is my slant.   

Take the 52 bus route for example, if you get on at Wisewood with your destination just beyond Handsworth - Retford road, you have many problems.

1st problem is that two operators run two different routes.   One from crookes to woodhouse, but using a different route to the other operator.    So, you are omitted from using one operator because it doesn't go from anywhere near walkable from your current location.

The 2nd problem is, sometimes the 52a that comes from Wisewood terminates at the city centre.   What use is that when you want to go all the way past Handsworth?

Then you run into all kinds of other problems.   Several times a month, the bus you are on will change half journey, so when you got on it was going to your destination but then in town it stops and says "everybody off"  - they were changed half way.    What use is that when you paid cash and don't pay by prepay card?

The first two buses that pass you say "crookes" - it's after 5pm but yet they don't go all the way into Hillsborough which would be walkable to your house at wisewood, albeit at a fast pace and still taking 20 minutes.     The next one you expected to say either Wisewood or Loxley then says "City" - so you let that one pass too, you've been waiting 45 minutes already, but what does that matter when they advertise "every 10 minutes"

So you get on the 52a (that you had to walk to that bus stop to an extra 3/4 of a mile so that you could get either the 52 or the 52a (because they run different routes, and that's the first stop that they both stop at so you have a double chance of a bus home!)  and when it gets past the Children's hospital it changes to "Broomhill" which is no use nor ornament at that stage, because at least in town you could have got off and got on a tram to Hillsborough, but once it gets to Broomhill, you have to walk up and over Crookes and then down into Hillsborough, and the finally up to Wisewood.

What I describe above, and many variants of the above, are weekly occurrences.     I can only presume other routes suffer the same.

Although I read all your post, I was immediately thinking of flaws at the beginning, when you use Wisewood (or anywhere around the Hillsborough section) > just beyond Handsworth...  my first thought, is how many require this journey?

I don't think it's a case of every route could be the same - that's obvious, I think it's more that you HAVE to go out of your way with bus journeys.

1 minute ago, *_ash_* said:

Although I read all your post, I was immediately thinking of flaws at the beginning, when you use Wisewood (or anywhere around the Hillsborough section) > just beyond Handsworth...  my first thought, is how many require this journey?

I don't think it's a case of every route could be the same - that's obvious, I think it's more that you HAVE to go out of your way with bus journeys.

Your thinking is fine, apart from it's wrong.  

Many people, same faces - every day.   

4 minutes ago, YourTech said:

Your thinking is fine, apart from it's wrong.  

Many people, same faces - every day.   

You mean for the full journey?

Or to town?

9 minutes ago, *_ash_* said:

You mean for the full journey?

Or to town?

Well to be honest if you use town as a cut off, then you are really not judging the journey.

It's not a half and half journey, but yes - whilst few do my long journey, many do almost the full journey and indeed some do more than mine.

If you are going to split the journey, then somewhere up Staniforth road is more appropriate as a half way house as that's the most median journey.

However, what does your question matter, my issues remain no matter what.

When was the last time you got on a bus?

Edited by YourTech

39 minutes ago, YourTech said:

When was the last time you got on a bus?

I'm a taxi driver, so I don't use a bus for work, and when I'm not working, I taxi myself about, using it.

47 minutes ago, YourTech said:

Well to be honest if you use town as a cut off, then you are really not judging the journey.

It's not a half and half journey, but yes - whilst few do my long journey, many do almost the full journey and indeed some do more than mine.

If you are going to split the journey, then somewhere up Staniforth road is more appropriate as a half way house as that's the most median journey.

However, what does your question matter, my issues remain no matter what.

I just don't think there's any way 'the perfect bus service' will ever exist.

People's daily schedules (other than school) are so diverse now, and needing to be in different places...

Then there are other problems, 1 person at the bus stop, 3 mins to get moving. 10 people at a stop, whole city at a standstill. It's just too slow for modern people.

-

Probably the best way to start is a bus lane on all arterial roads into the city. Then you change if ness, and catch another on an outbound arterial road.

The problem with this, is that it is a pipedream. There are segments in place, but always cars parked in them.

Edited by *_ash_*

1 hour ago, modforlife said:

You do use them

All those people on the buses aren’t in cars, so the roads are clearer for your car. Congratulations on owning one by the way.

Do you see why you should subsiding knee replacements, or heart bypasses, even if you don’t need one yourself?

4 hours ago, modforlife said:

Your time will come-when your too ill//old/poor to drive or cars have been banned from where you want to go you may think differently. I don’t use education, libraries, thankfully have never used the fire brigade or the police so shouldn’t I pay for them?

Guest busdriver1
9 hours ago, YourTech said:

ok, here is my slant.   

If you are boarding at Wisewood there is only one operator available so the route variations between operators on SIMILAR routes is of no relevance. The 52a is run by First and is your route. The 52 run by stagecoach does not serve Wisewood so is of no relevance to your post.

The failure of Sheffield Council to manage road traffic causing late running of buses is something you should take up with that council, not the operator that is suffering the consequences as you also are.

9 hours ago, modforlife said:

There are no subsidies for bus services except a very few that run evenings or to low use areas. If the council or PTE get there way there will be lots more.