Should The Public Take Back Control Of Buses In Our Region?

Under new powers that metro mayors now have Greater Manchester are trying to 'take back control' of bus services in their region. It seems to work OK in the capital. Unlike the plebs up North, people in Greater London never lost these powers :

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/oct/08/manchester-consult-bringing-buses-under-public-control

Should we do the same in Sheffield City Region?

I think we should and it's a basic thing that all the local Labour-run authorities should be backing.

Edited by Bilge

No, I don't see why folk who do not use buses help pay for council run buses.

Apparently the City Region put out a survey, which closed in September on what people want from the bus service. I suppose we will have to see  what is the outcome, if and when it turns up. Just like the busses really. 

Yes, definitely.

As for Lottie above?

I don't use Children's Playgrounds, but I'm quite happy to help fund them.

And Libraries.

And  whatever else  people need and use to enhance their area.

Share the cost, cheaper all round.

get the buses back into council ownership,reduce fares ,will reduce use of cars,example if i want to go to woodseats from s8 area it would be better as its hard to park,but it needs to be a proper non profit bus service asap thats my opinion.

Guest busdriver1

Bring it on, lets have a total fiasco like last time, buses not getting maintained, Ministry being kept busy taking death traps off the road, buses being used as political weapons with little or no control over them everyone paying for buses running round empty on rural routes as they were not needed but provided anyway. (example 287 ran through to Tickhill from Maltby and there is no record of any passengers being carried - EVER) yes, they are the sort of people that should run buses. Whilst the current situation is far from perfect lets not replace it with worse. 

Interesting though that the same people who are starving buses of cash they are entitled to want to run them themselves, will the cash suddenly start flowing then? I bet not.

Interesting people are saying reduce fares, we have some of the lowest fares in the country and its still not good enough. The current situation is as a direct result of companies being pressured into reducing fares. Guess what? less income means less cash for investment = 14 year old buses being moved into Doncaster as upgrades to existing vehicles as there is no money for newer. You wanted lower fares, you got them now live with the consequences. I Think its great. Better than a good TV comedy this is.

Not to interrupt your hobby horse but I used the 287 frequently. I didn't keep records but, if you like, i can supply testimonials from many others who used it as well.   

Perhaps you never drove it (I will do you the courtesy of believing you  are/were a busdriver) if you did and didn't see the passengers I suppose we were lucky you saw the bends along Tickhill Rd.

Guest busdriver1
5 minutes ago, mickf said:

Not to interrupt your hobby horse but I used the 287 frequently. I didn't keep records but, if you like, i can supply testimonials from many others who used it as well.   

Perhaps you never drove it (I will do you the courtesy of believing you  are/were a busdriver) if you did and didn't see the passengers I suppose we were lucky you saw the bends along Tickhill Rd.

Never driven it, never wanted to, didnt live here then just repeating what I have been told by countless people who did drive it. Had the fortune to be living elsewhere when it did run.

OK no offence.  There are still people living in Tickhill who would use it to work and people in Maltby who would go to shops or pubs in Tickhill. So more cars on the road and more struggling businesses. 

Yes, obviously.

It'll reduce prices, and improve services, reducing car use. And so  improving traffic for everyone, even people who don't / won't use a bus.

Improving traffic by making public transport more appealing, is much, much cheaper, and far more effective than trying to improve traffic by constantly buggering around with the roads.

But, any pound that isn't specifically directed at enabling ever more car-use is seen as an unacceptable war on the motorist, so it'll never happen. God forbid we do something that isn't all about motorists, all of the time.

Last year, Luxembourg made all public transport free. Now that's a transport strategy.

Edited by ads36

3 hours ago, lottiecass said:

No, I don't see why folk who do not use buses help pay for council run buses.

Should the 31% of UK citizens (21 million people) pay for a monarchy they don’t support?