Use And Abuse Of Soup Kitchens

2 hours ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

I have no idea if they refer undeserving people, do you?.

Angel1

No but it was you who brought deserving and undeserving poor into the debate.

3 hours ago, kidley said:

My Bold

Who is the most vulnerable in society, and why in you opinion?

Also it has been said many many times by many many people the biggest part of the homeless people are there because they want to be homeless. 

The homeless, freezing and destitute are the most vulnerable in my opinion. This is because they often lack the basic necessities in life that many of us take for granted (a safe home to go to, a regular income to buy food and cook it, friends and relatives to support them). Many already have mental health difficulties and also may have drug and alcohol problems. 

I hope that this explanation satisfies you, even though you have said that people are homeless because they want to be homeless. Which is very lucky because there is such a short supply of supported accommodation where they can feel safe. 

Edited by Mister M

2 hours ago, makapaka said:

Exactly - the anger and outrage at a perceived injustice in someone getting a bag of food to eat - and nothing directed at the society that put them there.

People ought to be ashamed of themselves. 

I think a precondition of feeling shame at their own lack of empathy for those on the outer extremes of society is having a social conscience to begin with. If you don't have that then blaming the victims is easy. And helpfully for those who blame those that rely on soup kitchens, they don't have to question why people are there in the first place (except to say that they're exploiting the kindness of others).

This really is a scabby thread, where people can shart their ignorance and lack of empathy to others, as if those are positive qualities. 

Edited by Mister M

6 hours ago, pattricia said:

Now don’t get your knickers in a twist again !!

Lame attempt to avoid the question Pattricia. 

10 minutes ago, Halibut said:

Lame attempt to avoid the question Pattricia. 

Not at all.! Whatever reply I give,  you never agree with me, so it’s a waste of time !

As with all services there will be a minority who abuse them but too intensive scrutiny of soup kitchen/food bank users  just deters the people the service is trying to help. Most users of food banks do need a referral from statutory or voluntary agencies, as a previous voluntary sector worker I’ve had a few suspicions but how do you prove this when people appear to be in need. I’d rather 1 person got one over on me but 20 got the support they needed 

7 hours ago, catmiss said:

As with all services there will be a minority who abuse them but too intensive scrutiny of soup kitchen/food bank users  just deters the people the service is trying to help. Most users of food banks do need a referral from statutory or voluntary agencies, as a previous voluntary sector worker I’ve had a few suspicions but how do you prove this when people appear to be in need.

Great post.

I’d rather 1 person got one over on me but 20 got the support they needed 

Sadly, there seem to many who have an opposite view.

On 06/11/2019 at 17:57, pattricia said:

Not at all.! Whatever reply I give,  you never agree with me, so it’s a waste of time !

Good answer and I agree with you.

28 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

Good answer and I agree with you.

Thank you.

Just today Sky News has written about one of the many 10s of thousands condemned to being homeless in this country. Tom has Spina Bifida, is doubly incontinent, and is sleeping out in this weather. Read about him here:

https://news.sky.com/story/general-election-meet-tom-just-one-of-the-320-000-people-who-are-homeless-in-the-uk-11857049

Edited by Mister M

Guest makapaka
On 06/11/2019 at 17:57, pattricia said:

So what is your position on this? 

should food banks be banned?

should more be done to prevent the need for food banks?

should people who use food banks be means tested?

On 06/11/2019 at 07:56, prolific said:

do you not think people do that to gain food,money?

it would be harder to hand over money to a homeless person dressed better than yourself.

food banks are often full of junkies and people from Europe  

I've collected food for S6 Food Bank on many occasions and also visited their distribution centre and can tell you that you're 50% right.

The centre is NOT full of junkies, quite the opposite as the majority of people there were in work and claiming benefits which had been stopped for one reason or another.

The centre IS full of people from Europe - Wales, England, Scotland and Ireland in fact.