Use And Abuse Of Soup Kitchens

5 hours ago, pattricia said:

On tonight’s news they showed you this woman getting food from a food bank then walking outside and driving off in a car !

And you think that means she isn't struggling to feed her family?

She might need it for work. She might need it because she's a carer. It might not be hers?

Do you want all foodbank users to be shoeless and dressed in rags?

1 hour ago, Halibut said:

And you think that means she isn't struggling to feed her family?

She might need it for work. She might need it because she's a carer. It might not be hers?

Do you want all foodbank users to be shoeless and dressed in rags?

Well I ain’t heard of any of them owning a car and being able to afford to fill it with petrol !

do you not think people do that to gain food,money?

it would be harder to hand over money to a homeless person dressed better than yourself.

food banks are often full of junkies and people from Europe  

10 minutes ago, pattricia said:

Well I ain’t heard of any of them owning a car and being able to afford to fill it with petrol !

'Them'? You mean people who are struggling to make ends meet? You've never heard of someone who's struggling to make ends meet running a car?

Where do you live? Mars?

1 hour ago, prolific said:

do you not think people do that to gain food,money?

it would be harder to hand over money to a homeless person dressed better than yourself.

food banks are often full of junkies and people from Europe  

And you know this because?

On ‎04‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 23:40, prolific said:

As we all know there are a few soup kitchen round town.

One i follow on facebook i recently saw the "local drug dealer" also a friend of a friend there(who is on a reasonable amount of money)

how do you stop the abuse or the need over greed attitude towards this?

I think this thread has been started to invite people to have a go, mock and discredit people that use soup kitchens.

Pretty despicable really.

36 minutes ago, Mister M said:

I think this thread has been started to invite people to have a go, mock and discredit people that use soup kitchens.

Pretty despicable really.

I think this thread had been started to show a lack of policy needed to stop abuse of a (generally welcomed) service.

And this thread also shows the naivety of people that think no such abuse exists.

3 hours ago, Halibut said:

'Them'? You mean people who are struggling to make ends meet? You've never heard of someone who's struggling to make ends meet running a car?

Where do you live? Mars?

Now don’t get your knickers in a twist again !!

1 hour ago, Branyy said:

I think this thread had been started to show a lack of policy needed to stop abuse of a (generally welcomed) service.

And this thread also shows the naivety of people that think no such abuse exists.

Nobody said that no abuse exists; it just seems to me that there are those who couldn't give a toss how many people are sleeping rough, how they ended up on the street, if they are ill, in need of medication, or if they are freezing. However they would certainly venture an opinion on apparent abuses of a system, not because they care, but it allows them to kick people who are already down.

Frankly, if the price of feeding the destitute and the needy means someone getting a bowl of soup that they're not entitled to, then that's a price worth paying.

Picking on the most vulnerable in society whilst ignoring excesses of the most powerful is akin to a school bully cowering before those who are tougher than them, but targeting the weakest.

It's just gross. 

Edited by Mister M

1 hour ago, Mister M said:

Nobody said that no abuse exists; it just seems to me that there are those who couldn't give a toss how many people are sleeping rough, how they ended up on the street, if they are ill, in need of medication, or if they are freezing. However they would certainly venture an opinion on apparent abuses of a system, not because they care, but it allows them to kick people who are already down.

Frankly, if the price of feeding the destitute and the needy means someone getting a bowl of soup that they're not entitled to, then that's a price worth paying.

Picking on the most vulnerable in society whilst ignoring excesses of the most powerful is akin to a school bully cowering before those who are tougher than them, but targeting the weakest.

It's just gross. 

My Bold

Who is the most vulnerable in society, and why in you opinion?

Also it has been said many many times by many many people the biggest part of the homeless people are there because they want to be homeless. 

Guest makapaka
37 minutes ago, kidley said:

My Bold

Who is the most vulnerable in society, and why in you opinion?

Also it has been said many many times by many many people the biggest part of the homeless people are there because they want to be homeless. 

it's been said many times by many people who were wrong - yes.

14 hours ago, Mister M said:

My understanding is that a person / family would need a referral by a GP or the DWP to use a food bank. Are they referring undeserving people?

I have no idea if they refer undeserving people, do you?.

Angel1

Guest makapaka
22 hours ago, Stranza said:

II donate to three, two religious and one independent (you can add it to online grocery shop easily) they all need referral.

I know if one 'soup kitchen ' that uses up waste food (kid works for supermarket that donates) that is a turn up and eat place.

I really couldn't care less who eats it as long as it's used. I'm currently loaded with our of date mince pies if anyone fancies some.

As long as there is somewhere anyone can get a meal if they need it that's all that counts.

How can you begrudge someone basic food? At best a food bank parcel costs £40 I'm sure the resale value is minimal.

We should look up, not down. It isn't the poor that are benefiting.

Exactly - the anger and outrage at a perceived injustice in someone getting a bag of food to eat - and nothing directed at the society that put them there.

People ought to be ashamed of themselves.