Use And Abuse Of Soup Kitchens

II donate to three, two religious and one independent (you can add it to online grocery shop easily) they all need referral.

I know if one 'soup kitchen ' that uses up waste food (kid works for supermarket that donates) that is a turn up and eat place.

I really couldn't care less who eats it as long as it's used. I'm currently loaded with our of date mince pies if anyone fancies some.

As long as there is somewhere anyone can get a meal if they need it that's all that counts.

How can you begrudge someone basic food? At best a food bank parcel costs £40 I'm sure the resale value is minimal.

We should look up, not down. It isn't the poor that are benefiting.

59 minutes ago, Stranza said:

II donate to three, two religious and one independent (you can add it to online grocery shop easily) they all need referral.

I know if one 'soup kitchen ' that uses up waste food (kid works for supermarket that donates) that is a turn up and eat place.

I really couldn't care less who eats it as long as it's used. I'm currently loaded with our of date mince pies if anyone fancies some.

As long as there is somewhere anyone can get a meal if they need it that's all that counts.

How can you begrudge someone basic food? At best a food bank parcel costs £40 I'm sure the resale value is minimal.

I agree. Some people think it's their right to have a go at those with nothing, if they're not entitled to something; but would defend the right of those with plenty to help themselves. Whether it's ignorance, deference or the Stockholm Syndrome who knows....

Edited by Mister M

2 hours ago, apelike said:

But, do people use food banks because they can or because they need to?

I believe the great majority use them because they need to.

3 hours ago, Stranza said:

That’s one of the best posts I’ve ever seen on here.

Well said.

I don't believe every food bank user is destitute. There must be some simple method to keep the cheats away who do not need to attend.

Angel1

1 minute ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

I don't believe every food bank user is destitute. There must be some simple method to keep the cheats away who do not need to attend.

Angel1

There is an easy way to do that.

All we need to do is to create a fair society. A society where everyone has sufficient resources to provide food and clothing for their families.

Then there will be no food banks and no cheats. 

In the meantime, I’d rather see people put their efforts into feeding the hungry, rather than looking for cheats.

39 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

There is an easy way to do that.

All we need to do is to create a fair society. A society where everyone has sufficient resources to provide food and clothing for their families.

Then there will be no food banks and no cheats. 

In the meantime, I’d rather see people put their efforts into feeding the hungry, rather than looking for cheats.

Rather an odd reply if you don't mind me saying.  For example, a food bank has food for 200 destitute people, 50 non destitute come and fill their bag, meaning 150 get food leaving 50 who deserve the food do not get it. Why would you not wish to stop the non deserving taking food out of the mouths of the 50 deserving.

Angel1

2 minutes ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Rather an odd reply if you don't mind me saying.  For example, a food bank has food for 200 destitute people, 50 non destitute come and fill their bag, meaning 150 get food leaving 50 who deserve the food do not get it. Why would you not wish to stop the non deserving taking food out of the mouths of the 50 deserving.

Angel1

My understanding is that a person / family would need a referral by a GP or the DWP to use a food bank. Are they referring undeserving people?

13 minutes ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Angel1

I thought I made it plain. 

The real issue is that you have destitute people

Solve that problem and you don’t need food banks at all. 

Simple really. 

12 minutes ago, Mister M said:

My understanding is that a person / family would need a referral by a GP or the DWP to use a food bank. Are they referring undeserving people?

No. But some would like you to believe that food banks aren’t needed. Hence the emergence of spurious stories about mythical people stealing from them.

9 hours ago, Branyy said:

The fact that corruption happens in high places isn't a reason for not caring about abuse and injustice in "low places".

Awww it's really nice to know that there are people who are as compassionate as you obviously are.

2 hours ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Angel1

On tonight’s news they showed you this woman getting food from a food bank then walking outside and driving off in a car !

please note the CA,doctor, or many other agency can refer you. 

also people go more than 3 times, the rules are broken most of the time due food banks looking to boost figures. 

a friend of mine went plenty of times, used to bring back stuff he disliked then offer it me.

i said you should not accept it in first place