Use And Abuse Of Soup Kitchens

As we all know there are a few soup kitchen round town.

One i follow on facebook i recently saw the "local drug dealer" also a friend of a friend there(who is on a reasonable amount of money)

how do you stop the abuse or the need over greed attitude towards this?

1 hour ago, prolific said:

One i follow on facebook i recently saw the "local drug dealer" also a friend of a friend there(who is on a reasonable amount of money)

An interesting topic.

I know of at least one person who not only takes stuff from food banks but sells it on a market stall. It is difficult to police, as unless you have someone ‘self-means test’ their status to those running the food bank, you will never know who genuinely needs the help.

7 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

An interesting topic.

I know of at least one person who not only takes stuff from food banks but sells it on a market stall. It is difficult to police, as unless you have someone ‘self-means test’ their status to those running the food bank, you will never know who genuinely needs the help.

I guy I used to work with had to do some communityservice as part of a misdemeanor conviction and was assigned to work in a food bank for a lot of his hours. He told of women showing up in Cadillacs and gold jewelry all over them taking away abox every other day and nobody said a word. He half jokingly said that it should be them <removed> doing community service. 

Edited by nikki-red

5 hours ago, prolific said:

You don't know why the 'local drug dealer' was there, nor indeed if he is the local dealer. Perhaps the friend of a friend isn't as well off as you think. Given the stigma around poverty and food banks I really don't think there are many people going who don't need to.

13 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

An interesting topic.

A regular visitor to the food bank on Gleadless Valley, takes his free food and sells it to buy, scratch cards, drugs etc. he's a regular visitor to the Wyvern car park , the Red Lion and where he picks up cigarette ends and cadges  money ,  you can see him in the Carlton club where he cadged money for beer and bingo, he's a fit around 40 and he's never worked, his excuse is stress yet you can see him in the bookies watching his daily picks run, how stressful is that. He's just an idle scrounger.

Edited by lazarus

Most food banks need a referral and have a maximum number of visits.

Where are these food banks you just turn up to?

(Not you Ont I assume Canada works differently)

19 minutes ago, Stranza said:

Most food banks need a referral and have a maximum number of visits.

That's what I want to know!

And FREE soup kitchens?  Yes please!

My work colleagues are always telling me I dress like a homeless person, so I may as well take advantage of that 😉

Soup Kitchens are just popup jobs in areas where homeless are known to gather.

Food banks do usually need a referral, from a job centre or social worker.

Doesn't stop drug users going, but at least they're not out shoplifting their food to eat.

With the amount of corruption in high places I'm amazed that people spend so much effort looking at ways to police schemes to help the less well off in our society.

Or is this another case of "someone's getting something that I'm not and I want it to stop"?

3 hours ago, max said:

With the amount of corruption in high places I'm amazed that people spend so much effort looking at ways to police schemes to help the less well off in our society.

Or is this another case of "someone's getting something that I'm not and I want it to stop"?

The fact that corruption happens in high places isn't a reason for not caring about abuse and injustice in "low places".

3 hours ago, max said:

Well said. 

Millions go missing at the top and nobody bats an eyelid, but heaven help anyone in the lower echelons who steps out of line...

10 hours ago, Halibut said:

You don't know why the 'local drug dealer' was there, nor indeed if he is the local dealer. Perhaps the friend of a friend isn't as well off as you think. Given the stigma around poverty and food banks I really don't think there are many people going who don't need to.

But, do people use food banks because they can or because they need to? There was a case in the Star a while ago where a woman with 2 children was using a food bank because she wanted to save money to take the kids on holiday. I don't begrudge those who have to use one who are in genuine need. 

7 hours ago, Stranza said:

There are some independent food banks around and also food banks run by various Churches where you can just turn up if in need. 

Edited by apelike