Relationship With An Employee

McDonald's has fired its chief executive Steve Easterbrook after he had a relationship with an employee.

Surely having a relationship with someone is a human right?

Is there a story behind the headline, has there been some bullying going on?

It's company rules and a lot of places have such rules to prevent workplace favouratism and to stop the potential of a messy breakup affecting work.

Theres no human rights angle at all here.

26 minutes ago, Obelix said:

It's company rules and a lot of places have such rules to prevent workplace favouratism and to stop the potential of a messy breakup affecting work.

I work for one of the biggest employers in my area, if my employer adopted the same rules it would have wide ranging implications.

The Human Rights act trumps a companies rules.

15 minutes ago, El Cid said:

I work for one of the biggest employers in my area, if my employer adopted the same rules it would have wide ranging implications.

Good luck with that. These sort of restrictions have been about since the year dot.

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

Im a company director. I might submit I know the rules fairly well too..

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

As does all statue law.

Tell me what part of the HRA is violated here? Caselaw?

Alot of places have these rules, they are broken and people do look the other way.  Given the size of McDonalds it's not like it's the first time it's ever happened.

but it can be used as a good reason to get rid of someone easily. 

39 minutes ago, geared said:

Alot of places have these rules, they are broken and people do look the other way.  Given the size of McDonalds it's not like it's the first time it's ever happened.

but it can be used as a good reason to get rid of someone easily. 

If you have two MacDonalds employees knocking boots when they aren't serving burgers, the world won't end, blind eyes will be turned.

But you're talking about the head of MacDonalds here, and there are a number of reasons why he should have known better.

As he gets about 10 million quid a year and is a substantial shareholder he might not be too bothered. I saw on the news today (I live in the USA) that he has been promised a very large 'golden handshake' on his departure.

3 hours ago, Obelix said:

Im a company director. I might submit I know the rules fairly well too..

As does all statue law.

Not sure how many employees you have, do you employ any family? I many cases husband and wife work together, MPs used to employ their wives/family, not sure if that still happens.

54 minutes ago, St Petre said:

As he gets about 10 million quid a year and is a substantial shareholder he might not be too bothered. I saw on the news today (I live in the USA) that he has been promised a very large 'golden handshake' on his departure.

Listening to radio four, it is more normal to outlaw having a relationship with a colleague in the USA.

7 hours ago, Obelix said:

It's also designed to protect an employee from being pressurised into something they may not want by someone with the power to end their employment.

Edited by Jim Hardie
Grammar

6 hours ago, El Cid said:

Given that the HRA is the incorporation of the ECHR into UK law and the ECHR applies to governments, public authorities, and private bodies which perform public function then it probably doesn't.

6 hours ago, El Cid said:

Surely having a relationship with someone is a human right?

While not exactly the same thing, would you say that rules preventing a teacher having a relationship with a pupil (over 16) is a breach of human rights?