Is This A New Phone Scam Method?

I've had a couple of landline calls in recent days where there is a recorded message played: "Openreach" going to disconnect me, and "Amazon" going to charge me for something or other. Both ask you to "press 1" to talk to a manager or whatever.  I suspect doing so would trigger a call to some premium rate number... Anyone else experienced this?

Yes block it or just ignore it never press any buttons,try googling the number.

It's the first time I've come across this line of attack. Rather annoying, because I do enjoy the occasional wind up of a "human" caller.

I had exactly the same this morning.

Told them to go and have intercourse with a tree and hung up.

5 hours ago, Temuchin said:

I've had a couple of landline calls in recent days where there is a recorded message played: "Openreach" going to disconnect me, and "Amazon" going to charge me for something or other. Both ask you to "press 1" to talk to a manager or whatever.  I suspect doing so would trigger a call to some premium rate number... Anyone else experienced this?

I get these all the time. I do have a number that blocks them but they just change their number.

I had a phone call from an "indian" woman very poor line and I said I can't make out what you are saying and rang off.

20 seconds later she rang back from  a different number and asked if it was now clearer.

She then tried to sell me some investments.

I put the phone down.

11 hours ago, Temuchin said:

I've had both of these.  The Amazon one says they are going to charge you money for a service you've never had.  I can see how some people would panic.  Just disconnect and block the number.

I have had a number of land line calls when I here the hesitation for a pre recorded message I hang up.

18 hours ago, Temuchin said:

Definitely scam calls.  Pressing the button won't get you charged though - that's not how phone work.  You will get connected to a human, who will then try to get control of your computer to "fix the router", or elicit banking details "to correct the error" . It confuses them no end to be told "yes, please cut me off". 

3 hours ago, henrypond said:

Definitely scam calls.  Pressing the button won't get you charged though - that's not how phone work.  You will get connected to a human, who will then try to get control of your computer to "fix the router", or elicit banking details "to correct the error" . It confuses them no end to be told "yes, please cut me off". 

So the scam's not as clever as I imagined. OK, so pressing 1 still gives the opportunity for a wind up 👍

Interesting insight of how scammers work and somebody fighting back at them