Is This A New Phone Scam Method?

Temuchin

I've had a couple of landline calls in recent days where there is a recorded message played: "Openreach" going to disconnect me, and "Amazon" going to charge me for something or other. Both ask you to "press 1" to talk to a manager or whatever.  I suspect doing so would trigger a call to some premium rate number... Anyone else experienced this?

5 hours ago, Temuchin said:

I've had a couple of landline calls in recent days where there is a recorded message played: "Openreach" going to disconnect me, and "Amazon" going to charge me for something or other. Both ask you to "press 1" to talk to a manager or whatever.  I suspect doing so would trigger a call to some premium rate number... Anyone else experienced this?

I get these all the time. I do have a number that blocks them but they just change their number.

I had a phone call from an "indian" woman very poor line and I said I can't make out what you are saying and rang off.

20 seconds later she rang back from  a different number and asked if it was now clearer.

She then tried to sell me some investments.

I put the phone down.

11 hours ago, Temuchin said:

I've had both of these.  The Amazon one says they are going to charge you money for a service you've never had.  I can see how some people would panic.  Just disconnect and block the number.

18 hours ago, Temuchin said:

Definitely scam calls.  Pressing the button won't get you charged though - that's not how phone work.  You will get connected to a human, who will then try to get control of your computer to "fix the router", or elicit banking details "to correct the error" . It confuses them no end to be told "yes, please cut me off". 

3 hours ago, henrypond said:

Definitely scam calls.  Pressing the button won't get you charged though - that's not how phone work.  You will get connected to a human, who will then try to get control of your computer to "fix the router", or elicit banking details "to correct the error" . It confuses them no end to be told "yes, please cut me off". 

So the scam's not as clever as I imagined. OK, so pressing 1 still gives the opportunity for a wind up 👍