Getting A Taxi Licence In Sheffield

Hi this has been covered before but years ago just want an update on how to actually get my licence.

So few things which are simple enough, medical checks and CRB check. Next it's whats annoying me that you have to do a driving test but I've been driving for God knows how long now so is that part true???

Next is roads..... So got myself Sheffield road maps etc and started logging down loads of key points in Sheffield like Meadowhall and arena then the main roads around it. Am I doing this correctly trying to get licence by January so gives me plenty of time to learn the roads and that PLUS if anyone actually knows realistically how much you could earn (Uber) ran year. I'm 45 hours (36 paid hours of that) at my current job earning £19 k a year. Changing to become self employed and to be around with the family since I never see them in my current job role. 

Any insite would be great cheers :)

Things required last time I checked;

BTEC level 2 qualification - "Introduction to the role of private hire / hackney carriage driver"

Pass Councils driving test ("I've been driving for years" is no guarantee of a safe driver unfortunately!!)

Pass Councils Geographical Knowledge test

You can then make an application for a private hire & hackney carriage drivers licence which will include you having to pass a DVLA group 2 standard medical, and submitting an enhanced disclosure DBS (CRB) certificate. The Council will give you the forms for the medical / DBS when you make your application. If you have certain convictions (motoring or otherwise) this may hold up or even prevent you from getting a licence. Convictions are never spent for certain occupations - private hire / taxi driver is one of them so you need to declare even historical convictions.

Getting badged by January will be a tight squeeze - think there are waiting lists for the BTEC and the other tests. DBS checks can take a few weeks to come back also.

Good luck !

9 hours ago, STEPHEN.s said:

Am I doing this correctly trying to get licence by January so gives me plenty of time to learn the roads and that PLUS if anyone actually knows realistically how much you could earn (Uber) ran year. I'm 45 hours (36 paid hours of that) at my current job earning £19 k a year. Changing to become self employed and to be around with the family since I never see them in my current job role. 

Any insite would be great cheers :)

spuggy has got all that right.

No chance of getting a licence in January though.  The knowledge and driving tests generally have a wait. (I don't know about BTEC). Once you have everything, then the DBS is now online only, and I don't know if you still have to wait for the initial one. Mine is auto-updated (as all SCC are now)

As for earnings and costs, have you decided what route you are going to take with regards a vehicle?

p.s. also for learning using maps, yes, is a good idea to start learning, but when you go to the licensing office, they'll give you a list of the places of interest. Then you'll get asked from any of them, to any of the others. (so for example, learning the routes to or from things like Bishops House)

Edited by *_ash_*