Tb Hospital On The Site Of Silver Blades Ice Ring

Does anyone reme!her the old hospital that was on the car park area of Silver Blades before it was built. Went with my dad when he had to get checked for TB late 50,s

1 hour ago, desy said:

Does anyone reme!her the old hospital that was on the car park area of Silver Blades before it was built. Went with my dad when he had to get checked for TB late 50,s

https://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/topic/4008-os-maps-of-sheffield-and-district-1950s-over-300-of-them/?tab=comments#comment-22437

It wasn't a hospital, it was a NHS Chest Clinic.   My mom regularly went there for check ups when I was little because she had full blown TB when I was born in 1955.

I went there in about 1956 for a TB test which entailed a quite painful injection in my forearm. If the injection site swelled up to a certain size after a day or two, it indicated that you were ok. I never understood what was going on but I was given the all-clear. It was a 2-storey building with a sort of verandah & a cupola at the Queens Road end.

Edited by fatrajah

15 hours ago, Ontarian1981 said:

Nice to see that pavilion again.:D

That same map shows the triangle bound by Alderson Road, Shoreham Street and Bramall Lane where I was brought up. Our back yard was just about where Mr Brewer is stood at the end of this video. Hard to believe there were 58 houses and shops plus a church in the middle, lol.

I think that must be the place my mother took us too for the anti polio remedy on a lump of sugar. Or so my older siblings tell me.

I too went to the Chest Clinic. They thought my father had TB and I had a bad chest when I was young so was sent there for regular check ups, probably late '50,s to early '60,s. I had the painful jab also. It turned out my father had silicosis not TB and I found out much later that I had a dust mite allurgy.

Wasn't  there another chest clinic (X-rays etc ) near the Queens Road one , bottom of the Moor on Ellin Street in the late 1950s ?

1 hour ago, St Petre said:

Wasn't  there another chest clinic (X-rays etc ) near the Queens Road one , bottom of the Moor on Ellin Street in the late 1950s ?

Yes, I went there in 1961  for an X-ray as part of my school's BCG  immunisation program. Despite my 1956 visit to the TB clinic at Queen's Road I had to have another test injection but it was by means of a 6-pronged hypodermic which surprisingly was much less painful. The 6 tiny marks are still visible on my forearm.

Edited by fatrajah