Tb Hospital On The Site Of Silver Blades Ice Ring

desy

I went there in about 1956 for a TB test which entailed a quite painful injection in my forearm. If the injection site swelled up to a certain size after a day or two, it indicated that you were ok. I never understood what was going on but I was given the all-clear. It was a 2-storey building with a sort of verandah & a cupola at the Queens Road end.

Edited by fatrajah

15 hours ago, Ontarian1981 said:

Nice to see that pavilion again.:D

That same map shows the triangle bound by Alderson Road, Shoreham Street and Bramall Lane where I was brought up. Our back yard was just about where Mr Brewer is stood at the end of this video. Hard to believe there were 58 houses and shops plus a church in the middle, lol.

I too went to the Chest Clinic. They thought my father had TB and I had a bad chest when I was young so was sent there for regular check ups, probably late '50,s to early '60,s. I had the painful jab also. It turned out my father had silicosis not TB and I found out much later that I had a dust mite allurgy.

1 hour ago, St Petre said:

Wasn't  there another chest clinic (X-rays etc ) near the Queens Road one , bottom of the Moor on Ellin Street in the late 1950s ?

Yes, I went there in 1961  for an X-ray as part of my school's BCG  immunisation program. Despite my 1956 visit to the TB clinic at Queen's Road I had to have another test injection but it was by means of a 6-pronged hypodermic which surprisingly was much less painful. The 6 tiny marks are still visible on my forearm.

Edited by fatrajah