Strange Networking Issue Under Windows 10

For this past week, I've been experiencing a weird problem with internet connectivity via wi-fi on this PC. Essentially, it *seems* to be random DNS timeouts, making it impossible to use. I've tried both Google and Cloudflare DNS servers, and the issue occurs with both. But if I use a VPN (which now takes ages to establish an initial connection) , everything works normally.

Google search offers no answer. I've done an ipconfig /flushdns, and had a nose around with Wireshark, but can't see anything obviously dodgy.

It's not a router issue, because every other device (including Windows 10) works fine through it. Can anyone offer any pointers to diagnosing what on earth's going on?

Try disabling IPv6 if enabled on the network card.

Do you have the same issue with the machine connected via a LAN cable?

The PC is upstairs, too far from the router to run a cable, and I'm not going to move it. But I don't see what that would prove: it's an issue with the wifi card, not the Ethernet port. 

29 minutes ago, Temuchin said:

The PC is upstairs, too far from the router to run a cable, and I'm not going to move it. But I don't see what that would prove: it's an issue with the wifi card, not the Ethernet port. 

you first said it was a DNS issue, now you say its a WiFi issue... you just basically answered your own question...

trying ethernet would eliminate wether or not it is the wifi specifically, or something else on the computer...

10 hours ago, Temuchin said:

Oh well. With that response, you can continue the investigation yourself.

9 hours ago, Ghozer said:

you first said it was a DNS issue, now you say its a WiFi issue... you just basically answered your own question...

trying ethernet would eliminate wether or not it is the wifi specifically, or something else on the computer...

No, I said "internet connectivity via wi-fi " and  " it *seems* to be random DNS timeouts ".  The timeouts are the manifestation of the wi-fi problem; at no point did I say "it was a DNS issue", and I tried to eliminate the problem as a pure DNS issue by trying alternative DNS servers.

Connecting over ethernet will not help solve this: if it works, then it's local to the wi-fi card; if it doesn't, then it's somewhere else - but it's *still* an issue affecting the wi-fi card, and that's what I'm trying to dig into. And only affecting a wi-fi connection when I'm not using a VPN.

8 minutes ago, Happ said:

Oh well. With that response, you can continue the investigation yourself.

We live in an age of charm... As I replied to Ghozer, whether it works over ethernet or not does not matter - it's *still* going to be an issue affecting the wi-fi... which is what I use... and which I'm trying to get a handle on.

And let me explain something to you which I hoped would be unnecessary: I don't have a long ethernet cable so moving the PC downstairs would be the only option. But, at the age of 71, and already having suffered a fall on the stairs this year resulting in a dislocated shoulder, there is no way I'm going to attempt that!

Sorry, misread the post..

Edited by apelike

8 hours ago, Temuchin said:

We live in an age of charm... As I replied to Ghozer, whether it works over ethernet or not does not matter - it's *still* going to be an issue affecting the wi-fi... which is what I use... and which I'm trying to get a handle on.

And let me explain something to you which I hoped would be unnecessary: I don't have a long ethernet cable so moving the PC downstairs would be the only option. But, at the age of 71, and already having suffered a fall on the stairs this year resulting in a dislocated shoulder, there is no way I'm going to attempt that!

The reason I said try ethernet, is because it will tell us if it is the WiFi, or something else...

if it works fine on Ethernet, then it's likely the WiFi, can uninstall/remove it, reconfigure/reset etc..

if it DOESN'T work on Ethernet, (you still have issues) then it's NOT going to be the WiFi, and we'd have to look into something else..

we could try and help and support you with the WiFi, but then we could also be running around in circles trying to fix something that wont be fixed cause we're looking in the wrong place/trying the wrong things..

Check the WiFi strength

Check the IP settings

Check WiFi Channel on router (choose a less likely to be used one)

-- (there are apps you can get that will scan around you to check for the busier channels)
Uninstall/ReInstall WiFi adaptor..

if you have done the above, then WiFi is pretty much eliminated, and you would have to..
-- move your router closer to your computer? a phone extension, or a phone socket closer to the PC? purely for testing/temporarily....
-- OR move your computer closer to the router instead.

You can then try Ethernet as an elimination, and see if WiFi signal is any better etc

It's simple diagnostic routine!

3 hours ago, Ghozer said:

The reason I said try ethernet, is because it will tell us if it is the WiFi, or something else...

if it works fine on Ethernet, then it's likely the WiFi, can uninstall/remove it, reconfigure/reset etc..

if it DOESN'T work on Ethernet, (you still have issues) then it's NOT going to be the WiFi, and we'd have to look into something else..

we could try and help and support you with the WiFi, but then we could also be running around in circles trying to fix something that wont be fixed cause we're looking in the wrong place/trying the wrong things..

Check the WiFi strength

Check the IP settings

Check WiFi Channel on router (choose a less likely to be used one)

-- (there are apps you can get that will scan around you to check for the busier channels)
Uninstall/ReInstall WiFi adaptor..

if you have done the above, then WiFi is pretty much eliminated, and you would have to..
-- move your router closer to your computer? a phone extension, or a phone socket closer to the PC? purely for testing/temporarily....
-- OR move your computer closer to the router instead.

You can then try Ethernet as an elimination, and see if WiFi signal is any better etc

It's simple diagnostic routine!

Right, I've now had someone move the PC down next to the router. Ethernet connection works just fine... wi-fi still shows the usual issue...

As you say, a lot of your suggestions are "simple diagnostic routine" - and things I tried before I posted here: uninstalled and reinstalled the NIC, rechecked IPv4 settings, checked driver is up to date.

I do not see that proximity of PC to router is a consideration: the connection via the VPN must use the same wi-fi NIC, and all speeds are excellent that way, so no channel/signal strength problem; and the issue still occurs when the PC is right next to the router anyway.

I hope I'm not coming across as unnecessarily intransigent over this, and I do appreciate suggestions, but it's been an irritant for 9 days now and I'm running out of ideas about where to look.