General Election 12 December.

nikki-red

This is NOT to become a second Brexit thread.

Thank you.

Message added by nikki-red

32 minutes ago, nightrider said:

Exactly.  My MP, Blomfeld, seems pretty active dealing with constituents. But I'm not sure I can vote for him when the leader of his party is making pro brexit statements. Though with his majority I doubt my vote will make any difference, in other more marginal constituencies such views will make a difference.

Many MPs are good and active locally, MPs like Jared O'Mara are very rare.

Labour will not win because like it or not Corbyn is unpopular. When you hear people who have been a lifelong labour voter say they won't be voting for them , it looks like Brexit party will be scooping some up.

2 hours ago, Obelix said:

So you mean that Parliament is just a rubber stamp for the manifesto then?

You have a truly bizzare idea of what Parliement is.

I don't mean that at all.  A honest Parliament wouldn't backslide on decisions they have already rubber stamped and keep moving the goalposts to prevent the implementation of a referendum result they rubber stamped to take place.

7 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

I don't mean that at all.  A honest Parliament wouldn't backslide on decisions they have already rubber stamped and keep moving the goalposts to prevent the implementation of a referendum result they rubber stamped to take place.

But that isn't what happened. The two largest parties were demonstrably willing to implement the referendum result as they pledged in their manifestos. They just couldn't find an agreed path to do so.

2 hours ago, Obelix said:

So you mean that Parliament is just a rubber stamp for the manifesto then?

Let's hope not: Munira Mirza, an ex-Revolutionary Communist Party member and Spiked hack, is in charge of writing the Conservatives manifesto!

😂

With any luck it'll be the longest suicide note in history then like the Labour ones of the early 1980s

31 minutes ago, stifflersmom said:

But that isn't what happened. The two largest parties were demonstrably willing to implement the referendum result as they pledged in their manifestos. They just couldn't find an agreed path to do so.

The Tory Party MPs  were more willing to implement the referendum result than the the MPs from the Labour Party.  Staying in the single market  in which  free movement of people  continues and staying in the customs union what the Labour leadership suggested would make a mockery of the democratic 2016 EU Referendum result.  Too many MPs had no intention of finding an agreed path to leave the EU  because their aim was to get the referendum result overturned and not implement the wishes of the 17.4 million.

18 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

The Tory Party MPs  were more willing to implement the referendum result than the the MPs from the Labour Party.  Staying in the single market  in which  free movement of people  continues and staying in the customs union what the Labour leadership suggested would make a mockery of the democratic 2016 EU Referendum result.  Too many MPs had no intention of finding an agreed path to leave the EU  because their aim was to get the referendum result overturned and not implement the wishes of the 17.4 million.

Until Theresa May and Boris Johnson conspired to flush it down the toilet, the Conservative Party had a commons majority.

It was their job to pass Brexit. They failed.

You should consider changing your vote as they are clearly not the party to deliver Brexit.

35 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

Until Theresa May and Boris Johnson conspired to flush it down the toilet, the Conservative Party had a commons majority.

It was their job to pass Brexit. They failed.

You should consider changing your vote as they are clearly not the party to deliver Brexit.

Theresa May made a massive mistake by taking the electorate for granted when she called the 2017 snap General Election.  When the General Election was called in 2017 the electorate wrongly believed the 2016 EU Referendum result would be implemented because Article 50 had been triggered and were led to believe both the Labour Party and Tory Party would respect the wishes of the people who voted to leave.  Boris Johnson has sought  to do what he said he intended to do before he became our new Prime Minister and inherited  the mess Theresa May caused by losing the majority.

The Tory Party are the only main party who will deliver Brexit if they win an outright majority at the General Election.  I didn't vote to leave the EU but I respect the decision the majority made and will continue to support the party that respects the wishes of the majority and don't seek to cheat 17.4 million people out of their democratic wish to leave the EU.  Our country will not move on until Brexit is implemented which is why I will continue to support and vote for the Tory party.

Edited by Lockdoctor

16 hours ago, Dardandec said:

I'm pretty sure taxing the knackers out of working class PAYE tax payers won't be in the manifesto to be honest, the same as it wasn't in 1996. I'll just see what spending pledges they make, roughly work it out in my head how much it will all cost and take it from there thank you. 

Pay your taxes. Support the NHS. 

1 minute ago, Car Boot said:

Pay your taxes. Support the NHS. 

There you go. We agree on something, at last.

However, I shall be voting Lib Dem in an attempt to return a Labour Government. Weigh your vote carefully and make it count.

4 hours ago, L00b said:

No, Carboot, this isn't factual in the least: it's empty rhetoric, unsupported by any evidence.

So, I'll repeat: how is the EU pro-austerity, exactly?

This is NOT to become a second Brexit thread, so I'll just leave this here:

https://www.redpepper.org.uk/the-trouble-with-being-both-anti-austerity-and-pro-eu/