General Election 12 December.

nikki-red

This is NOT to become a second Brexit thread.

Thank you.

Message added by nikki-red

18 minutes ago, Longcol said:

No - a lot, like me, will be voting Labour.

You haven't said yet what you think of Corbyn's position - interested to hear the authentic voice of Monk Bretton Civil Servants.

Don't expect a response. I asked on another thread. 

10 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Don't expect a response. I asked on another thread. 

Aware Comrade Boot doesn't do responses - just issues the daily party line(s) from the HQ of whichever miniscule sect he belongs to.

(In my younger and more naive days I was briefly a member of a trotskyist sect).

On 05/11/2019 at 01:37, CaptainSwing said:

Yes, there's still a tendency in some quarters to equate Russia with the USSR, but it's nearly 30 years since the USSR ceased to exist.  And, as you say, what has replaced it is something very different.

Politics seems to have  changed beyond all recognition in the last 10 years and has never been so complicated, or maybe it's the electorate that's changed.

Thanks to the internet some of the voters are certainly better informed than ever and have realised what a massive con job we are being subjected to. Being allowed to put a cross in a box once every 5 years is not necessarily a true sign of a real democracy.

I say 'some of them are better informed' because it takes effort to sort the truth from the lies and not all the electorate has either the time or the inclination to spend their valuable time checking sources, veryfying statements, listening to speeches, reading alternate viewpoints, quantifying statistics etc. And why should they? They still think politicians are honourable and can be trusted. they still think the media and the newspapers etc report without favour or bias. They still think there are fairies at the bottom of the garden...

But that's exactly how the establishment get away with it and it stinks. We need some major changes to deal with the quagmire that the political scene has become. 

4 hours ago, Anna B said:

Politics seems to have  changed beyond all recognition in the last 10 years and has never been so complicated, or maybe it's the electorate that's changed.

Thanks to the internet some of the voters are certainly better informed than ever and have realised what a massive con job we are being subjected to. Being allowed to put a cross in a box once every 5 years is not necessarily a true sign of a real democracy.

I say 'some of them are better informed' because it takes effort to sort the truth from the lies and not all the electorate has either the time or the inclination to spend their valuable time checking sources, veryfying statements, listening to speeches, reading alternate viewpoints, quantifying statistics etc. And why should they? They still think politicians are honourable and can be trusted. they still think the media and the newspapers etc report without favour or bias. They still think there are fairies at the bottom of the garden...

But that's exactly how the establishment get away with it and it stinks. We need some major changes to deal with the quagmire that the political scene has become. 

Such as what?   It's all nice and easy to sit there complaining but coming up with actual solutions which are reasonable, desirable and practicable is a different matter.

If people criticise ticking a box every five years as "not real democracy" what alternative do they want and would they actually engage with it if it was implemented?

You hit the key word which is "inclination" when describing the electorate.  The reality is politics is boring and a majority of people just don't care.   That completely outweighs any criticism of the establishment or criticism of the media.  It's irrelevant.   The bottom line is not enough of us real ordinary people care.  Never have done.   Never will do.

Time and time again I see people, the press and the internet bleating on about a lack of so called true democracy or a lack of transparency or a lack of public engagement and yet these are the same people who who would never be seen dead turning up at town hall meeting or spending time reading the latest committee minutes which are publicly available or regularly engaging with their local MP or spend time giving their opinions on a public consultations or spend time engaging in research projects by census takers or opinion companies or tuning the television to absorb the numerous  live debates in the house on the parliament channel broadcast all day every day or bothering to subscribe to the Hansard blogs, transcripts or other daily resources which are prepared following each session........ 

Given that a large number of people don't even bother with the elections when they are merely every 5 years or so is there really such a great demand for change that you seem to think.

According to reports they say that brexit was one of the biggest and most important political decisions we have had for decades and yet there was still nearly 30% of the registered electorate didn't bother voting.

If you can't drag people out to vote on such a vitally important issue it is going to be one hell of an uphill battle trying to increase engagement in politics from the people.

Edited by ECCOnoob

10 hours ago, Car Boot said:

Let's just get the election out of the way then get Brexit done. It's what most people want.

Get it done!  If only to was that simple.

A hurdles race contains  many obstacles, the withdrawal agreement (the divorce settlement) Boris Brexit deal is only the first hurdle. 

If you really want to be done with it then vote for a Remain Party. 

Withdraw Article 50, - sorted.

Nothing has actually been done that needs undoing.

6 hours ago, Flanker7 said:

Hopefully that simple truth will become more bleeding obvious the closer we get to the election.

Unfortunately for Labour, they will not be able to capitalise on it with their bonkers Brexit position. Even Labour supporters on Politics Live today were admitting that it would take a minimum of six months to get another extension, ‘renegotiate’ a rubbish deal with the EU, hold a referendum then pass any legislation necessary.

7 hours ago, Flanker7 said:

Which will achieve exactly what?

That could have been done by parliament anytime over the past few years and yet they didn't despite the government lacking any majority of worth, and even recently with no majority at all, so ask yourself why it has not been done already. 

Nothing has actually been done that needs undoing.

I agree, which means A50 should not be undone or revoked either.

19 hours ago, Car Boot said:

Will all Remainers be voting for their Leader, Jo Swinson?

I will be, you worried Mr. Boot? 

22 minutes ago, Dardandec said:

I will be, you worried Mr. Boot? 

Yes. Very worried. Jo Swinson hates the poor. 

Her voting record in Parliament clearly shows that she wants to make life much much harder for the very poorest in our society. Typical rich Remainer.

2 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

Yes. Very worried. Jo Swinson hates the poor.

Really? but I thought you hated the poor?

They accuse Boris Johnson of lying what about Jo Swindon?

On her leaflets it says Jo Swindon the next Prime Minister, lies lies lies. . . as if.

4 minutes ago, jaffa1 said:

They accuse Boris Johnson of lying what about Jo Swindon?

On her leaflets it says Jo Swindon the next Prime Minister, lies lies lies. . . as if.

The leaflets say "Jo Swinson", not "Jo Swindon".  If you're going to accuse others of lying, at least get it right.

Don't you just love the British electorate?