General Election 12 December.

nikki-red

This is NOT to become a second Brexit thread.

Thank you.

Message added by nikki-red

1 hour ago, Michael_W said:

Why on earth would he apologise to the likes of Labour, Lib Dem, SNP and Greens, who between them stalled the whole process, there isn't a party amongst them capable of delivering the result of the referendum to please everybody, if by some truly bizarre twist of fate (bad for the country) Corbyn gets in, he will become the most demonised PM of all time, with immediate effect people will be asking him to apologise for sympathising with terrorists …. do you think he would ?

Plenty of fun and games to come for any future PM be it Boris or anyone else, interesting times ahead ……. that's guaranteed, as for posting Guardian links pfffffft lol !

You didn't get it did you?

How many people voted leave (over 17 million) as opposed to Tory members (100,000?)

Edited by Longcol

Corbyn's "Warm homes for all" policy announcement.  Cost £250 billion, (expect it to be much higher, these projects always run over budget), with only £60 billion being funded by the Govt. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50277461

Wonder what the low income cut off would be while the rest of us take out the loan?  No doubt favouring council properties in the Lab heartlands, mainly neglected by the Lab run councils for decades? 

Also the proposed £125,000 inheritance tax cap.  Well that would probably affect about 90% of us.  Sit down & work out the value of your home & the money you've got in the bank - you might be surprised. 

Thanks Jeremy but I'd like to pass my hard earned assets, (much of which has already been reduced through tax over the years), on to my family when I'm gone & give them a bit of a leg up.  

Edited by Baron99

On 01/11/2019 at 13:22, Pettytom said:

I wouldn’t believe a word that Farage or Johnson say.

Of course there will be no overt coalition, that would be poisonous for both parties. That won’t stop some tactical cooperation.

I’d expect both parties to be very selective about how much canvassing they do in particular constituencies. I’d imagine that Labour/Plaid/SNP/LD will do similarly.

Farage still has about a hundred candidates to find. That will make the Brexit Party quite vulnerable. We only need to look to Sheffield Hallam to see the consequences of poorly vetted candidates. There will be no shortage of journalists digging into the background of candidates of all parties.

Its going to be fun.

You’re not kidding.

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/politics/former-brexit-party-candidate-for-yorkshire-seat-says-she-comes-from-far-flung-star-and-aliens-are-working-with-world-governments-1-10081127

9 hours ago, Michael_W said:

Why on earth would he apologise to the likes of Labour, Lib Dem, SNP and Greens, who between them stalled the whole process, there isn't a party amongst them capable of delivering the result of the referendum to please everybody, if by some truly bizarre twist of fate (bad for the country) Corbyn gets in, he will become the most demonised PM of all time, with immediate effect people will be asking him to apologise for sympathising with terrorists …. do you think he would ?

Plenty of fun and games to come for any future PM be it Boris or anyone else, interesting times ahead ……. that's guaranteed, as for posting Guardian links pfffffft lol !

Mmmmm.  What about Cameron doing  dodgy deals to get the Saudis on the UNCHR?   Aren't they terrorists?

Edited by Lex Luthor

8 minutes ago, Lex Luthor said:

Mmmmm.  What about Cameron doing  dodgy deals to get the Saudis on the UNCHR?   Aren't they terrorists?

Indeed. 

However, terrorist/freedom fighter is a well worn path.

In my opinion, the more discourse there is, the better the world will be. That includes talking to some pretty unpalatable people at times.

According to the express - I know, right - Boris is going to give every worker up to £460 a year in tax cuts. Or £1.25 a day. And give up to £5bn in extra benefits - this is direct quote - "a possible centre piece of a manifesto designed to win over working class voters, particularly in the Midlands and North. "

I'm lost for words, at least words that wont get me banned.

BBC News - Newspaper headlines: Labour's Brexit debate 'over' and 'midline crisis'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-50284456

9 hours ago, mikeG said:

At a well known bookies, they have Conservative majority the 10/11 favourite with no overall majority a close 11/10 2cnd favourite. My money's on the 11/10 option.

It's 18/1 for a Labour majority

11 minutes ago, steve68 said:

It's 18/1 for a Labour majority

I'm having a tanner double Labour to have a majority and Leicester City to win the Premiership.

What's 9 and 6d

going on to a 50-1 shot?😎

Edited by Ontarian1981

No 10 Downing Street are blocking the publication of a:

The 50-page document from the intelligence and security committee examines allegations that Kremlin-sponsored activity distorted the result of the 2016 EU referendum.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/04/no-10-blocks-russia-eu-referendum-report-until-after-election

I wonder what they have got to hide....Still the Government could publish it tomorrow, and for it to have no influence how people will vote in a GE.

On ‎01‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 20:09, El Cid said:
Matthew Parris of The Times, The party I joined 50 years ago and which I’ve stuck by in good times and bad has been taken over by an ugly cult. Fifty years ago this autumn this columnist joined the Conservatives, signing up to a Tory ginger-group at university. Ten years later I was the MP for the Derbyshire constituency that remains my home. Leaving parliament more than thirty years ago, my respect for Margaret Thatcher and her party was undimmed, and I never parted company with my local Conservative association. There followed 40 years of supporting the Tories through thick and thin, usually with enthusiasm, occasionally through gritted teeth. He has now decided to vote for the Liberal Democrats.

What's your point?

That moderate Tories are deserting the party in droves and going to their natural home which is the Lib Dems...

19 minutes ago, Obelix said:

That moderate Tories are deserting the party in droves and going to their natural home which is the Lib Dems...

All these deals between remain parties, probable deal between Tories and the Brexit Party, if we had PR there would be no need for deals.

Our FPTP system needs scapping. When there are just two main parties, the smaller/unpalatable issues do not get dealt with.