General Election 12 December.

nikki-red

This is NOT to become a second Brexit thread.

Thank you.

Message added by nikki-red

20 hours ago, andyofborg said:

your vote is only useless if you fail to cast it

1 hour ago, retep said:

A vote is never useless, not voting is.

OK, I said useless, but meant almost useless.

Can you both not see that if I lived in a different ward (Say Hallam as a good example which is a 3 horse race) - my vote IS worth placing if I prefer 1 of 3 parties. Now, there is so little chance of it happening, that general voters voting the same as they do every time, means that my vote is ALMOST useless.

24 minutes ago, *_ash_* said:

OK, I said useless, but meant almost useless.

Can you both not see that if I lived in a different ward (Say Hallam as a good example which is a 3 horse race) - my vote IS worth placing if I prefer 1 of 3 parties. Now, there is so little chance of it happening, that general voters voting the same as they do every time, means that my vote is ALMOST useless.

It is only the same as my vote being worthless. 

I’m probably going to vote for the candidate  who will become MP, but my vote will almost certainly be for a member of the opposition, not the government 

Any vote, in isolation, is pretty useless. The aggregate of all the vote is what matters. And that is only possible if you,  I and many others vote.

This prophetic speech was given by Neil Kinnock, Labour Leader in 1983, warning people not to vote for Margaret Thatcher. How right he was, It was when the Tory party changed direction, and  Neoliberalism took hold. How little has changed in the Conservative party since then.

Just replace Thatcher's name  with Johnson, and it could have been written yesterday...     

If Boris Johnson is re-elected as Prime Minister on Thursday,                                             

- I warn you not to be ordinary.                                                         

- I warn you not to be young.   

- I warn you not to get ill.

- I warn you not to grow old.

Full speech here. It just took a bit longer than Kinnock thought for the Neoliberals to get it all their own way.

https://www.owen.org/blog/326/

Edited by Anna B

41 minutes ago, Anna B said:

This prophetic speech was given by Neil Kinnock, Labour Leader in 1983, warning people not to vote for Margaret Thatcher. How right he was, It was when the Tory party changed direction, and  Neoliberalism took hold. How little has changed in the Conservative party since then.

Just replace Thatcher's name  with Johnson, and it could have been written yesterday...     

If Boris Johnson is re-elected as Prime Minister on Thursday,                                             

- I warn you not to be ordinary.                                                         

- I warn you not to be young.   

- I warn you not to get ill.

- I warn you not to grow old.

Full speech here. It just took a bit longer than Kinnock thought for the Neoliberals to get it all their own way.

https://www.owen.org/blog/326/

Neil Kinnock was an incredibly powerful orator. It seems so cruel that lickspittles from the gutter press, who haven't got a fraction of the talent that he has, dragged him through the muck on a daily basis in their mucky so-called 'newspapers'. I feel nothing but contempt for them.

Edited by Mister M

5 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Neil Kinnock was an incredibly powerful orator. It seems so cruel that lickspittles from the gutter press, who haven't got a fraction of the talent that he has, dragged him through the muck on a daily basis in their mucky so-called 'newspapers'. I feel nothing but contempt for them.

Indeed, the best Prime Minister we never had.

Jeremy Corbyn isn't the first to suffer media anti-Labour propoganda, in fact they all have, except for LabourLite Blair.  

Edited by Anna B

Are we getting excited Kiddiwinkles . Soon be over and we can look forward to a bright future

1 hour ago, Lord Harold said:

Are we getting excited Kiddiwinkles . Soon be over and we can look forward to a bright future

Not for Laura Kuenssberg, she's been reported to the Electoral Commission for breaches to electoral law, over her reporting the counts of postal votes.

https://twitter.com/ElectoralCommUK/status/1204790546675437573?s=20

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/bbc-laura-kuenssberg-postal-votes-electoral-commission-a9242976.html

This has not been a good week for her. She's just shown in a couple of incidents her bias. I've been mildly sceptical of the claims that she's been biased to the Tories, however the 2 incidents this week have opened my eyes.

Edited by Mister M

Guest makapaka

“Twenty miles up, it’s a freezing cold universe, we only have the human connections we make here, nothing is permanent, and love is our only defence. I suggest we all vote accordingly, and try to help each other get through this thing, whatever it is.“

frankie boyle

VOTE LABOUR 

10 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Not for Laura Kuenssberg, she's been reported to the Electoral Commission for breaches to electoral law, over her reporting the counts of postal votes.

https://twitter.com/ElectoralCommUK/status/1204790546675437573?s=20

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/bbc-laura-kuenssberg-postal-votes-electoral-commission-a9242976.html

This has not been a good week for her. She's just shown in a couple of incidents her bias. I've been mildly sceptical of the claims that she's been biased to the Tories, however the 2 incidents this week have opened my eyes.

I never realised she was up for election

Guest makapaka
4 minutes ago, Lord Harold said:

I never realised she was up for election

She isn’t - she’s a Tory shill.

7 hours ago, rogets said:

Free Internet has kind of swung it for me

If free beer was on the maifesto I'd definitely vote Labour 

But swaying towards labour

Even if corbyn offered free beer I wouldn't vote Labour. 

10 minutes ago, makapaka said:

“Twenty miles up, it’s a freezing cold universe, we only have the human connections we make here, nothing is permanent, and love is our only defence. I suggest we all vote accordingly, and try to help each other get through this thing, whatever it is.“

frankie boyle

VOTE LABOUR 

Wise words we all need to keep in mind, before, during and after.

Thanks for sharing..