General Election 12 December.

nikki-red

This is NOT to become a second Brexit thread.

Thank you.

Message added by nikki-red

1 hour ago, L00b said:

About that...have you seen the recent satirical cartoon in a Dutch newspaper (3rd or 4th most read) doing the rounds on social media?

'Brutal' isn't quite the word :o

Then again, witnessing what's going on in the UK from afar (i.e. out of range of the campaigning-by-megaphone) is just like witnessing the Brexit debacle from afar: looking at the slow death of British democracy, one jaw-dropping moment after another.

Easily found on Twitter for those that want a look. It’s strong stuff and makes me very sad at what we’ve become.

For those of you who don't read all the papers. This is taken from the Guardian daily briefing. Its clear that the more muted headlines from the left are in a different league to the rabid, rable rousing, hectoring of the right. By my scoring, on the headlines alone, its 4-3 to the right. With the Mail taking a day off. (sort of!)

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/dec/04/wednesday-briefing-labour-plan-is-money-in-your-pocket-mcdonnell

The papers

What Donald Trump said about the NHS, and whether you’d believe him, is the theme today. The Sun’s position seems to be that if the president said it, it must be true: “Trump thumps chump over NHS lies”. “I wouldn’t want NHS on silver platter” says the Express. “We have no interest in the NHS” is the Telegraph’s splash headline.

The Guardian reports that the Labour leader intends to press the president over his trade machinations. The paper’s headline is “Corbyn ups pressure over NHS as Trump rows back”. The Metro splashes with “Corbyn casts doubt on Trump’s NHS pledge” and adds in a subhead that Tories admit medicines from US drug companies could cost more after Brexit. “We’ll force tech firms to pay more, says PM” is the take in the Times on Boris Johnson’s pledge to have the Googles and the Facebooks of the world make a “fairer contribution”, which the paper says runs the risk of a rift with Trump who has threatened France with tariffs for doing the same.

The Mail sounds the alarm bell over a “Deadly gamble on our health” as an NHS report ties online betting in with social scourges including heavy drinking, obesity and chronic disease. “Labour to put £6,176 in your pocket” says the Mirror as it tots up the benefits of Corbyn’s plans to end “rip-off Britain”.

Edited by Flanker7
link added

10 minutes ago, Flanker7 said:

For those of you who don't read all the papers. This is taken from the Guardian daily briefing. Its clear that the more muted headlines from the left are in a different league to the rabid, rable rousing, hectoring of the right. By my scoring, on the headlines alone, its 4-3 to the right. With the Mail taking a day off.

The papers

What Donald Trump said about the NHS, and whether you’d believe him, is the theme today. The Sun’s position seems to be that if the president said it, it must be true: “Trump thumps chump over NHS lies”. “I wouldn’t want NHS on silver platter” says the Express. “We have no interest in the NHS” is the Telegraph’s splash headline.

The Guardian reports that the Labour leader intends to press the president over his trade machinations. The paper’s headline is “Corbyn ups pressure over NHS as Trump rows back”. The Metro splashes with “Corbyn casts doubt on Trump’s NHS pledge” and adds in a subhead that Tories admit medicines from US drug companies could cost more after Brexit. “We’ll force tech firms to pay more, says PM” is the take in the Times on Boris Johnson’s pledge to have the Googles and the Facebooks of the world make a “fairer contribution”, which the paper says runs the risk of a rift with Trump who has threatened France with tariffs for doing the same.

The Mail sounds the alarm bell over a “Deadly gamble on our health” as an NHS report ties online betting in with social scourges including heavy drinking, obesity and chronic disease. “Labour to put £6,176 in your pocket” says the Mirror as it tots up the benefits of Corbyn’s plans to end “rip-off Britain”.

It'll be interesting to see how Labour are going to put £6,176 into peoples pocket.

17 hours ago, L00b said:

About that...have you seen the recent satirical cartoon in a Dutch newspaper (3rd or 4th most read) doing the rounds on social media?

'Brutal' isn't quite the word :o

Then again, witnessing what's going on in the UK from afar (i.e. out of range of the campaigning-by-megaphone) is just like witnessing the Brexit debacle from afar: looking at the slow death of British democracy, one jaw-dropping moment after another.

Ah, the slow death of British democracy is because there is no respect for the  referendum result of June 2016, therefore there is no respect for democracy itself.

55 minutes ago, BoroB said:

It'll be interesting to see how Labour are going to put £6,176 into peoples pocket.

Ah, the £7000 a year better off.  I don't know where they got their figures from, but I can't see energy prices slashed in half.

They claim the free broadband will save people £364.  I have basic 20Mb Sky Broadband (BT Line) and that's only £19 a month. It goes up to £21 every so often but I play the "i'm going to cancel" game and it gets dropped.

The rest is all generic stuff - "expanding free childcare, cutting rail ticket prices, introducing free prescriptions and free school meals" would allegedly would save around £5,500 in total.

I don't use childcare

I don't need free prescriptions

I don't need free school meals

In the meantime, I'm sure their financial penalties on the fuel companies and the robbing of the VED pot to pay for trains will mean I pay more.

55 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

Ah, the slow death of British democracy is because there is no respect for the  referendum result of June 2016, therefore there is no respect for democracy itself.

Why should there be any respect for it? If a majority of people voted to jump off a cliff would you follow them?

57 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

the slow death of British democracy is because there is no respect for the  referendum result of June 2016

3 and a half years later, we still don't know what the result *was* 

Norway ?

Canada ?

Switzerland ?

WTO without tariffs ?

WTO with tariffs ?

The perfect (impossible) vision, as presented by the leave campaign ?

There are a least 6 different versions of leave, 7 if we include the good old fashioned protest vote.

Which one do you want me to respect ?

2 hours ago, Car Boot said:

You'd like to tell yourself that. And by all means keep telling yourself that, if it makes you sleep better.

But no. My post had nothing whatsoever to do with the 2016 referendum, and all to do with the ongoing subversion of your multi-centennial monarchic parliamentary system by vested interests, apparently with the full and ongoing support of the decidedly-apathetic British public.

The very British democratic system, which you have consistently demonstrated in your posts (so much the usual loudhailing ones, as the much rarer considered ones), that you don't understand, nor respect.

I tend to agree with Ewen Aitken (CEO of Cyrenians Scotland), writing in the Edinburgh Evening News last week:

"I am annoyed at the state of our political process these days – fake videos to portray opponents falsely; fake Twitter accounts claiming to be fact checkers but in reality purveyors of more lies; numbers and statistics simply made up and flung as political hand grenades, not to contribute to public debate, but to denigrate opponents in the eyes of the ­voters; claims made about opponents’ opinions, which have not one grain of truth but are seen as acceptable weapons of political engagement; bigotry rife at the heart of many of the political ­parties.

... the impact of the actions of so many of our political leaders is so great. Their decisions walk on the graves of those who gave so much so we all can, at the ballot box at least, be equal ­citizens, whatever our circumstances.

This election is not just about who wins, it’s about what we all lose if in winning the very nature of our democratic process is destroyed."

So the lying, cheating, misogynistic, sexist PM yet again makes the country he is meant to represent look like a fool.

Why and how can anyone support this buffoon?

Please, someone tell me why you would vote for him or his racist party?

11 minutes ago, Litotes said:

So the lying, cheating, misogynistic, sexist PM yet again makes the country he is meant to represent look like a fool.

Why and how can anyone support this buffoon?

Please, someone tell me why you would vote for him or his racist party?

Because it’s better than the alternative.