General Election 12 December.

nikki-red

This is NOT to become a second Brexit thread.

Thank you.

Message added by nikki-red

1 minute ago, Anna B said:

I don't see your point. I know all these things happen in residential care. It still doesn't justify £800 per week (or £3,200 a month if you prefer it, or £38,400 a year.) It's astronomical and outrageous to charge ordinary people who have probably never even earned that much in a year to sit and vegitate. And I believe in some places 'hotel' charges for food and board go on top.

See above.

50 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

So you think our tax monies should be spent sending nurses and carers all over the country and world to visit patients living in exotic hotels or on board cruise ships rather than dealing with several patients in a single, purpose built, sufficiently equiped facility. 

Oh don't be so silly.

23 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I don't see your point. I know all these things happen in residential care. It still doesn't justify £800 per week (or £3,200 a month if you prefer it, or £38,400 a year.) It's astronomical and outrageous to charge ordinary people who have probably never even earned that much in a year to sit and vegitate. And I believe in some places 'hotel' charges for food and board go on top.

Go back to #863 then when you clearly stated that they were nursing care.

You have expressed your disbelief in these costs on numerous threads over the years - but that's all. 

Providing staffing at the level demanded by the care quality commission (absolute minimum double cover 24/7, 365 days a year) heating, lighting, meals, building and grounds maintenance, furniture, capital repayment etc etc - minimum of £650pw when I finished working for a not for profit housing association nearly 10 years ago.

Costs quoted by ECCOnoob in #869 sound eminently reasonable (pretty sure I contributed to the JRF research).

Edited by Longcol

The line between Nursing care and Residential care is blurred and causes a lot of the problems I was talking about in post 851. In the context of this discussion it doesn't really make much difference.

Edited by Anna B

4 minutes ago, Anna B said:

The line between Nursing care and Residential care is blurred and causes a lot of the problemsI was talking about in post .....  In the context of this discussion it doesn't really make much difference.

The costs are real though.

It's a question of how we manage it / deal with it - not expressing incredulity at the cost.

Edited by Longcol

17 hours ago, Anna B said:

How do you know it doesn't? Ring round some of the independent care homes, the ones with waiting lists. Ask them why it costs so much.

1 hour ago, tinfoilhat said:

How do you know it doesn't? Ring round some of the independent care homes, the ones with waiting lists. Ask them why it costs so much.

waste of time asking.

Some members don't understand costs. Probably never ran own business.

14 hours ago, *_ash_* said:

waste of time asking.

Some members don't understand costs. Probably never ran own business.

And it won't sink in.  In a few weeks time they'll be repeating the same old rubbish again.

1 hour ago, alchresearch said:

And it won't sink in.  In a few weeks time they'll be repeating the same old rubbish again.

Not rubbish for those who have had to sell everything they've worked all their lives for, to pay to sit drooling in a chair. 

On 28/11/2019 at 22:21, Mister M said:

"The Conservative Party has written to broadcasting regulator Ofcom accusing Channel 4 of breaking its codes by depriving the Tories of any representation at the debate.

The party calls the "empty chairing" of Mr Johnson - and his replacement with an ice sculpture - a "provocative partisan stunt, which would itself constitute making a political opinion in its own right," something the Tory letter argues is against the broadcasting code.

"It is clear that denying the Conservative Party any opportunity to contribute to this cross-party event is unfair and breaches the requirements to 'preserve' impartiality and does not offer an 'appropriately wide range of significant views' to the public," the letter adds.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50592259

I think if it were Jeremy Corbyn who threatened not to renew the broadcasting licence of Channel 4 news because he didn't want to do a leader's debate, people in the press (and on here I'm sure) would be making comparisons with communist Russia or China, at the very least they would be calling him a coward. Yet I'm pretty sure that the press tomorrow would not give it the same prominence had it been Corbyn.

Just imagine the headlines

Ha ha ha.

OFCOM have ruled that Channel 4 said the broadcaster was fair in the face of Tory threats.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-ice-sculpture-channel-4-leaders-climate-debate-ofcom-complaint-a9230716.html

Channel 4 setting an example to the cowardly and craven lickspittle BBC.

1 hour ago, Mister M said:

OFCOM have ruled that Channel 4 said the broadcaster was fair in the face of Tory threats..

That was always going to happen.

Channel Four fulfilled their regulatory requirement by inviting all major party leaders. They can’t force Bozo to attend therefore the responsibility for there being no Conservative representation during the debate rests squarely with the Conservative Party.

Complaining to OFCOM just makes them look stupid and reinforces the idea that they have a sense of entitlement above other sections of society.

2 hours ago, Mister M said:

(...)

Channel 4 setting an example to the cowardly and craven lickspittle BBC.

About that...have you seen the recent satirical cartoon in a Dutch newspaper (3rd or 4th most read) doing the rounds on social media?

'Brutal' isn't quite the word :o

Then again, witnessing what's going on in the UK from afar (i.e. out of range of the campaigning-by-megaphone) is just like witnessing the Brexit debacle from afar: looking at the slow death of British democracy, one jaw-dropping moment after another.

Edited by L00b