General Election 12 December.

nikki-red

This is NOT to become a second Brexit thread.

Thank you.

Message added by nikki-red

On 30/11/2019 at 18:43, Flanker7 said:

* my bold

Do you know how many people are in care homes and paying £30k to £40k per year for the 'privilege' ? - Do you Michael?

I know 1 , my mum. 

6 monthes ago we found a place in a local care home for her. We had looked around and the £600 per week places were terrible with plastic cups, lino, wipe down tables and plastic chairs. All in place to minimise cleaning costs. We settled for a £750 a week home and despite the cost we are reasonable happy with what is provided.

You do the maths.

6 monthes later we/she is more than £18,000 out of pocket and a lifetime of saving and careful management is soaking away before our eyes. December brought an increase in fees of £52.50p per week from January 1st.

You do the maths.

Its easy to question everything without an ounce of research.

Try ringing round a few Sheffield care homes and you will know for yourself, go on, I dare you, I  double dare you!

Maybe you didn't read my post fully and understand it, your telling me nothing I have not known for years, as I wrote that I had 'first hand experience' in that post, my mother actually spent the last year of her life in one at a cost of almost 36k, I know exactly what they are like, now to the point you clearly missed even though I spelt it out clearly,  can you tell me how much you think it will cost to fund all of Corbyns promises because even Boris Johnsons won't cut the mustard ?

19 hours ago, Anna B said:

I also know of people paying this sort of figure, and for very little. The food is poor, and the care is worse. The 'activities co-ordinator' does nothing but make up excuses as to why there are no activities. Everything seems to be done on the cheap, including the staff, (not enough of them, and most on minimum wage. 

No way can the cost be justified.

I'm glad your Mum has found somewhere satisfactory Flanker, it's good to know they do exist, but in my experience they are the exception rather than the rule.  

* my bold

Do you know how many people are in care homes and paying £30k to £40k per year for the 'privilege' ? - Do you Michael?

I know 1 , my mum. 

6 monthes ago we found a place in a local care home for her. We had looked around and the £600 per week places were terrible with plastic cups, lino, wipe down tables and plastic chairs. All in place to minimise cleaning costs. We settled for a £750 a week home and despite the cost we are reasonable happy with what is provided.

You do the maths.

6 monthes later we/she is more than £36,000 out of pocket and a lifetime of saving and careful management is soaking away before our eyes. December brought an increase in fees of £52.50p per week from January 1st.

You do the maths.

Its easy to question everything without an ounce of research.

Try ringing round a few Sheffield care homes and you will know for yourself, go on, I dare you, I  double dare you!

How did you manage to change Flankers post quoting 6 months @ 18k to 36k Anna, not going all politician on us I hope 🥴

Edited by Michael_W

1 minute ago, Michael_W said:

How did you manage to change Flankers post quoting 6 months @ 18k to 36k Anna, not going all politician on us I hope 🥴

Flanker edited his/her post after Anna had quoted it.

Just now, nikki-red said:

Flanker edited his/her post after Anna had quoted it.

Oh ok thought it was a bit strange lol

1 hour ago, Michael_W said:

Maybe you didn't read my post fully and understand it, your telling me nothing I have not known for years, as I wrote that I had 'first hand experience' in that post, my mother actually spent the last year of her life in one at a cost of almost 36k, I know exactly what they are like, now to the point you clearly missed even though I spelt it out clearly,  can you tell me how much you think it will cost to fund all of Corbyns promises because even Boris Johnsons won't cut the mustard ?

Well, I'd reduce the cost for a start by bringing it all back in house, rather than let privatisation hike the price up every year which is how we've got to the sort of ridiculous levels we see now. The council allows about £450 per week which used to cover costs entirely, but thanks to privatisation allowing care homes to hike the price up every year, it has almost doubled and the family have to find the difference. The £450 comes out of taxes or is paid for by benefits such as pension and Attendance allowance, so shouldn't  require extra money. 

If the resident requires nursing care then that should be covered by the NHS and currently it is in a lot of cases, so it's part of their 'free at the point of use.' The sticking point comes with dementia, which is not counted as an illness and therefore isn't funded which is a travesty.

These are generalisation, the whole system is hugely complicated. There are teams of people making funding decisions, endless doctor's and health professionals, documentation, and expensive court cases and tribunals etc etc, which all takes time and money. It must cost a fortune to administer, so anything that simplifies it has got to save money.

Edited by Anna B

9 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Well, I'd reduce the cost for a start by bringing it all back in house, rather than let privatisation hike the price up every year which is how we've got to the sort of ridiculous levels we see now. The council allows about £450 per week which used to cover costs entirely, but thanks to privatisation allowing care homes to hike the price up every year, it has almost doubled and the family have to find the difference. The £450 comes out of taxes or is paid for by benefits such as pension and Attendance allowance, so shouldn't  require extra money. 

If the resident requires nursing care then that should be covered by the NHS and currently it is in a lot of cases, so it's part of their 'free at the point of use.' The sticking point comes with dementia, which is not counted as an illness and therefore isn't funded which is a travesty.

These are generalisation, the whole system is hugely complicated. There are teams of people making funding decisions, endless doctor's and health professionals, documentation, and expensive court cases and tribunals etc etc, which all takes time and money. It must cost a fortune to administer, so anything that simplifies it has got to save money.

Council care homes in Derbyshire cost about the same as private ones. I’ll bet the staff aren’t paid much better and the food was as bad as any other similarly priced private concern. And they aren’t all printing money by the look of it. 

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/mar/11/over-400-care-home-operators-collapse-in-five-years-as-cuts-take-toll

I read an article on the bbc about a nurse who ran a nursing home in Sheffield and she’s going to have close soon because she can’t afford to keep it open. I can’t find it which is a shame. 

4 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Council care homes in Derbyshire cost about the same as private ones. I’ll bet the staff aren’t paid much better and the food was as bad as any other similarly priced private concern. And they aren’t all printing money by the look of it. 

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/mar/11/over-400-care-home-operators-collapse-in-five-years-as-cuts-take-toll

I read an article on the bbc about a nurse who ran a nursing home in Sheffield and she’s going to have close soon because she can’t afford to keep it open. I can’t find it which is a shame. 

My settings mustn't be good. I've noticed that the Guardian counts my views. I noticed this yesterday in another post (it said I have read 6 articles on this site in the last month), now I clicked this and it says 7.

tbf, at least they're honest.

just as an aside @tinfoilhat

Edited by *_ash_*
corrections

Just now, *_ash_* said:

I notice my settings mustn't be good. I've noticed that the Guardian counts my views. I noticed this yesterday in another post (it's said you have read 6 articles on this site in the last month), now I clicked this and it says 7.

tbf, at least they're honest.

just as an aside @tinfoilhat

I’ve never noticed but at least our views count somewhere ;);););)

Just now, tinfoilhat said:

I’ve never noticed but at least our views count somewhere ;);););)

I've screen shot it, but can't seem to add it. Not worked this out yet.

It's generally at the bottom of the article, but above all the advs and nonsense.

Just now, *_ash_* said:

I've screen shot it, but can't seem to add it. Not worked this out yet.

It's generally at the bottom of the article, but above all the advs and nonsense.

also, it doesn't count individual articles, as I'm now up to 9, having screen shot it, and then looked again to see where it says it! :hihi:

1 hour ago, tinfoilhat said:

I believe you, I've seen such cases too. But it raises several questions. What was the occupancy rate? Do they pay full business rates? If fee paying private schools can register as charities and get various benefits, can small independent care homes? Are there any government subsidies? And where does the money go? I've never managed to see a proper breakdown of care home costs. What is the biggest expense? In my experience it certainly doesn't go on the patients. There are never enough staff, and the ones there are, are poorly paid, even in the big chains. It doesn't add up.

If a care home charging £800 a week can't cover its costs there is something seriously wrong with the system. For that money I can get on a cruise where the food is fantastic and plentiful, staff to passenger ratio is 2 to 1, and the service is 24/7 and second to none. There's also a doctor and nurses on board which is more than I can say for care homes where it's as difficult to see a doctor and get treatment as it is in the real world,.

Edited by Anna B

8 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Posted in error.. 

Edited by Anna B

If a care home charging £800 a week can't cover its costs there is something seriously wrong with the system. For that money I can get on a cruise where the food is fantastic and plentiful, staff to passenger ratio is 2 to 1, and the service is 24/7 and second to none. There's also a doctor and nurses on board which is more than I can say for care homes where it's as difficult to see a doctor and get treatment as it is in the real world,.

That's correct Anna.. there was a travel programme on the tele a few years ago, where an elderly lady spent 12months a year on cruise ships for exactly the reasons you quote... I suspect you also saw it.