General Election 12 December.

nikki-red

This is NOT to become a second Brexit thread.

Thank you.

Message added by nikki-red

5 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

A lot of posters on here, feel very threatened by an articulate and intelligent black woman! 😵

I thought we were discussing Diane Abbott? 

You bowl them underarm, I'll knock them out of the park. 😁

2 hours ago, Baron99 said:

I thought we were discussing Diane Abbott? 

You bowl them underarm, I'll knock them out of the park. 😁

Maybe you could answer the reverse swing Yorker that I bowled instead.

The Headlines today

i - "PM’s climate meltdown".

Telegraph - “Tories threaten ‘biased’ Channel 4”. 

Times -  “Tories and Labour in battle for the north”

Mirror -  “Boris: working class men are drunk, criminal & feckless”

Express - “Outcry over Labour Brexit ‘lies’”.

Guardian -  “So who was to blame? Fury of the Hillsborough families”.

Sun - “Still no justice”. (Hillsborough)

Mail  -“Yard pays £900k to MP accused by abuse liar”

FT - “Ex-Nissan chief says Japanese nationalists hurt carmaker”.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/nov/29/friday-briefing-conservatives-in-meltdown-over-ice-stunt

I count this as 3-2 to the Conservstives.

Boris got off lightly IMO and a day off for Corbyn.

10 hours ago, ormester said:

can i ask you this the personal tax allowance wouldnt have gone up if it wasnt for  the libs   labour  wanted to keep it at 6 k  

I am noticing a lot of pro-Liberal Democrat posters, great stuff.

Corbyn doesn't really help himself, does he? 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7738205/Corbyn-says-BBC-biased-saying-Israel-right-exist.html

Although even I would question a clip from 2011 being dragged up now but then again, if the Parties are going to use such evidence as previous Twitter & Facebook comments.....? 

Edited by Baron99

3 hours ago, El Cid said:

i was but dont like the stance on demoracy

5 hours ago, El Cid said:

I'm in 2 minds, yes to anti brexit but they seemed to have done off the rails somewhat

1 hour ago, ormester said:

i was but dont like the stance on demoracy

The lying, cheating, double dealing current Tory government is the far worst threat to democracy ever

3 hours ago, melthebell said:

I'm in 2 minds, yes to anti brexit but they seemed to have done off the rails somewhat

The lying, cheating, double dealing current Tory government is the far worst threat to democracy ever

I couldn't agree more.

10 years of Conservative government have been an unmitigated disaster for most people.

Having privatised a load of things that should not be for profit in the first place, like education, social care and care homes, is any money the Conservatives are now promising to invest, going to go straight into the back pockets of the bosses? 

It's certainly not going to the front line where it is needed. 

What else will they privatise?

How can a care home charging an average of £800 a week, (with most of the workers on minimum wage,) not be able to give adequate care? Where is the money going? Who is getting rich people's expense?

Edited by Anna B

Liar Liar pants on fire - Boris is unbelievable.

He is claiming to have not lied ever!

He was sacked twice for lying.

He left his wife after being found cheating on her

He is a sexist misogynist.

I do wonder if he and Trump have a bet on to see who can get away with the biggest lie without getting called out for it.

How can anyone consider him as the leader of the country... lunacy!

21 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

A lot of posters on here, feel very threatened by an articulate and intelligent black woman! 😵

Feels like that includes you?

14 hours ago, Anna B said:

I couldn't agree more.

10 years of Conservative government have been an unmitigated disaster for most people.

Having privatised a load of things that should not be for profit in the first place, like education, social care and care homes, is any money the Conservatives are now promising to invest, going to go straight into the back pockets of the bosses? 

It's certainly not going to the front line where it is needed. 

What else will they privatise?

How can a care home charging an average of £800 a week, (with most of the workers on minimum wage,) not be able to give adequate care? Where is the money going? Who is getting rich people's expense?

Who is most people Anna, and how can you justify that statement ?

Labour will do nobody any favours it will end up in massive state debt once again burdening future generations and leaving a mess for another government to sort out after it's been ousted, and round and round we go.

Do you know how many people are in care homes and paying £30k to £40k per year for the 'privilege' ?

How much do you think it would cost the state to do away with all that and put those working and using the industry under the cost of the NHS ?

The current system means those who have a certain level of savings and equity in property will pay if they need care, it's not ideal and it's not perfectly fair but to give them all free care will cost what ?

I'm not against the idea by the way, I do have first hand experience of the unfairness of the system, but the free for all solution that many of our politicians are trying to offer, would end up costing a lot more than any party has costed for, and here lies the problem with Corbyn, he only wants the rich to pay for everything he is going to offer and when it comes to business our society as a whole needs business investment which will start falling short under any Labour governance using his policies.

On to education, and unlike the years when I was at school the classrooms have assistants and the whole system like the NHS has become a political football, there will never be enough money because the system is constantly challenged by changing demands, I know of a primary school classroom with 2/3 staff to 4 pupils because the kids have behavioural problems, the nanny state is very expensive and this sort of thing is going on all around us to varying degrees, it can never be costed or indeed fully affordable IMHO !

On 30/11/2019 at 11:17, Michael_W said:

Who is most people Anna, and how can you justify that statement ?

Labour will do nobody any favours it will end up in massive state debt once again burdening future generations and leaving a mess for another government to sort out after it's been ousted, and round and round we go.

Do you know how many people are in care homes and paying £30k to £40k per year for the 'privilege' ?

How much do you think it would cost the state to do away with all that and put those working and using the industry under the cost of the NHS ?

The current system means those who have a certain level of savings and equity in property will pay if they need care, it's not ideal and it's not perfectly fair but to give them all free care will cost what ?

I'm not against the idea by the way, I do have first hand experience of the unfairness of the system, but the free for all solution that many of our politicians are trying to offer, would end up costing a lot more than any party has costed for, and here lies the problem with Corbyn, he only wants the rich to pay for everything he is going to offer and when it comes to business our society as a whole needs business investment which will start falling short under any Labour governance using his policies.

On to education, and unlike the years when I was at school the classrooms have assistants and the whole system like the NHS has become a political football, there will never be enough money because the system is constantly challenged by changing demands, I know of a primary school classroom with 2/3 staff to 4 pupils because the kids have behavioural problems, the nanny state is very expensive and this sort of thing is going on all around us to varying degrees, it can never be costed or indeed fully affordable IMHO !

* my bold

Do you know how many people are in care homes and paying £30k to £40k per year for the 'privilege' ? - Do you Michael?

I know 1 , my mum. 

6 monthes ago we found a place in a local care home for her. We had looked around and the £600 per week places were terrible with plastic cups, lino, wipe down tables and plastic chairs. All in place to minimise cleaning costs. We settled for a £750 a week home and despite the cost we are reasonable happy with what is provided.

You do the maths.

6 monthes later we/she is more than £18,000 out of pocket and a lifetime of saving and careful management is soaking away before our eyes. December brought an increase in fees of £52.50p per week from January 1st.

You do the maths.

Its easy to question everything without an ounce of research.

Try ringing round a few Sheffield care homes and you will know for yourself, go on, I dare you, I  double dare you!

Edited by Flanker7
clarity, typo