General Election 12 December.

nikki-red

This is NOT to become a second Brexit thread.

Thank you.

Message added by nikki-red

1 minute ago, Anna B said:

Does it?

I've witnessed a fair few general elections and don't remember anti-semitism being an issue. Certainly not the major issue that this has been blown up into. But then I've never known an election which has been so full off underhand tricks and vile abuse, with a media so desparate to sway the electorate in one direction. 

Democracy?  - don't make me laugh. 

I am not talking about just anti-semitism.

I'm talking about the deluge of campaigns, anti-campaigns, smears, scare stories, tittle-tattle, fairy stories from 'anonymous' sources, shadowy  fringe groups chucking their opinions in....

This is not new.  You must be naive to think it is.   It happens at every election there is always going to be people singing praises of one candidate and people throwing mud at another candidate.

The media are not trying to sway the electorate in any direction.  They are doing what the media does.  Stop this constant crap about a media bias.  I think it's very clear given that headlines right now are corbyn anti-semitism scandal immediately followed by Tory party and it's islamophobia scandal demonstrates there is no such bias that you seem to drone on about.

Papers don't count because for every right wing paper there are plenty of left wing papers too.  Add on 1001 blog sites, opinion pieces, forums, social media posts, and professional argument sources just like this very website and there's even more range of opinion across all spectrums.

If you are really seeking some difference between the good old days and now it's just the speed of information.  Surely it should be for us to use our own instincts and judgement about who we choose to vote for on the range of information we are presented with.

In my opinion anyone who is so easily influenced that they blindly follow what a certain newspaper or website tell them really doesn't deserve a vote

1 minute ago, ECCOnoob said:

I am not talking about just anti-semitism.

I'm talking about the deluge of campaigns, anti-campaigns, smears, scare stories, tittle-tattle, fairy stories from 'anonymous' sources, shadowy  fringe groups chucking their opinions in....

This is not new.  You must be naive to think it is.   It happens at every election there is always going to be people singing praises of one candidate and people throwing mud at another candidate.

The media are not trying to sway the electorate in any direction.  They are doing what the media does.  Stop this constant crap about a media bias.  I think it's very clear given that headlines right now are corbyn anti-semitism scandal immediately followed by Tory party and it's islamophobia scandal demonstrates there is no such bias that you seem to drone on about.

Papers don't count because for every right wing paper there are plenty of left wing papers too.  Add on 1001 blog sites, opinion pieces, forums, social media posts, and professional argument sources just like this very website and there's even more range of opinion across all spectrums.

If you are really seeking some difference between the good old days and now it's just the speed of information.  Surely it should be for us to use our own instincts and judgement about who we choose to vote for on the range of information we are presented with.

In my opinion anyone who is so easily influenced that they blindly follow what a certain newspaper or website tell them really doesn't deserve a vote

Telegraph, Times, Sun, Mail, Express v how many left wing papers?

29 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Eh?

If the Tories get a majority they could  pass anything they want with regard to Brexit - certainly don't need another referendum.

You do seem keen on the Tories winning 🙂

According to Jo Swinson's Liberal Democrats, the Tories must hold a second confirmatory EU referendum even if they get a majority.

In the real world the Tories can do as they like if they win a majority. But according to Jo Swinson, She is going to be the next hardline Remainer Prime Minister who cancels Brexit and the votes of 17.4 million people.

3 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

According to Jo Swinson's Liberal Democrats, the Tories must hold a second confirmatory EU referendum even if they get a majority.

In the real world the Tories can do as they like if they win a majority. But according to Jo Swinson, She is going to be the next hardline Remainer Prime Minister who cancels Brexit and the votes of 17.4 million people.

Of course she is and farage is going to be president of Europe. Her ship has sailed along with corbyns after tonights  show.

9 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

I'm not bothered what Jo Swinson says - she's wrong.

She has absolutely no chance of being PM.

Johnson stands a a very good chance and would continue to inflict austerity policies on much of the population - but somehow all your venom is aimed at the Lib Dems and Remainers (the majority of Labour voters).

So who do you support?

Edited by Longcol

4 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

In the real world the Tories can do as they like if they win a majority.

We need to destroy any possibility of the Tory's getting a majority. :twisted: Come on Mr. Boot we can do this, go with your heart of hearts, think of all  the Tory austerity, Lets do it, destroy it man, come on. 

11 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Telegraph, Times, Sun, Mail, Express v how many left wing papers?

Mirror, Guardian, Observer,  The i, Morning Star..... 

1 minute ago, Dardandec said:

We need to destroy any possibility of the Tory's getting a majority. :twisted: Come on Mr. Boot we can do this, go with your heart of hearts, think of all  the Tory austerity, Lets do it, destroy it man, come on. 

I've never voted Conservative in my life. Nor will I ever.

They stand for the landed gentry and the aristocracy, to ensure the system that keeps the poor poor, and the rich rich, remains in place. The EU is a part of this system, so when the Tories inform us they will take us out we know this will never happen under a Tory government.

The Tories took us into the EU. They will never take us out.

They stand for the landed gentry and the aristocracy, to ensure the system that keeps the poor poor, and the rich rich, remains in place. The EU is a part of this system, so when the Tories inform us they will take us out we know this will never happen under a Tory government.

You need to vote for a party way to the right of the Tories.

Booty, Farage and Widdecombe all sitting in the same tree K I S S I N G.

1 minute ago, Car Boot said:

Course they will - they're no longer the "landed gentry and aristocracy" - they're tax exiles, merchant bankers, currency speculators and assorted spivs who would gain personally from Brexit.

8 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Mirror, Guardian, Observer,  The i, Morning Star..... 

I didn't count the Sundays. But heigh ho - - pro Tory - Sunday Times, Mail on Sunday for a start. The Morning Star has negligible circulation - I could have counted the Yorkshire Post, pro Tory and a bigger circulation.

11 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

You need to vote for a party way to the right of the Tories.

Booty, Farage and Widdecombe all sitting in the same tree K I S S I N G.

Careful, last time I suggested Mr Boot was slightly right of Maggie I got a 24 hour holiday.

See you in a few days !!! 🙋‍♂️ (although that could be me 😂)

Edited by whiteowl