General Election 12 December.

nikki-red

This is NOT to become a second Brexit thread.

Thank you.

Message added by nikki-red

4 hours ago, Robin-H said:

The decision was made in 1993 (and made law in 1995) to address to the inequality between the fact that women retired earlier and lived longer, and so received more generous pensions in total than men.

Don't you think the pension age should be equalised? 

The trouble is it was never a level playing field in the first place. Women of the waspi generation never had equal pay or equal opportunities for much of their working lives. They are the generation that had to leave work when they married in some professions, and certain jobs weren't available to them at all. They didn't have access to some private pension schemes, were regularly passed over for promotion because of their gender, and were expected to take years out of work to raise children or leave work altogether.

In spite of 'equal pay' women still suffer lower salaries, and their work is generally regarded as of less importance than 'man's work.' Even now they are often expected to do the lion's share of housework, child care and caring for elderly members of the family. 

But the one piece of 'equality' you can guarantee to be implemented, is the equal retirement age? 

If men's retirement age had been advanced by 5 or 6 years in one go they might get an idea of how women feel. You bet they would be complaining   

BBC1  'The Andrew Neil Interviews' 7.30pm

'The broadcaster interviews the leaders of the main parties in the run-up to the General Election.'  

The man's a Rottweiler. Should be worth a watch.

22 minutes ago, Anna B said:

The trouble is it was never a level playing field in the first place. Women of the waspi generation never had equal pay or equal opportunities for much of their working lives. They are the generation that had to leave work when they married in some professions, and certain jobs weren't available to them at all. They didn't have access to some private pension schemes, were regularly passed over for promotion because of their gender, and were expected to take years out of work to raise children or leave work altogether.

In spite of 'equal pay' women still suffer lower salaries, and their work is generally regarded as of less importance than 'man's work.' Even now they are often expected to do the lion's share of housework, child care and caring for elderly members of the family. 

But the one piece of 'equality' you can guarantee to be implemented, is the equal retirement age? 

If men's retirement age had been advanced by 5 or 6 years in one go they might get an idea of how women feel. You bet they would be complaining   

Plus all the other legalisation that has been brought in, such as the Equal Pay Act 1970, the Sex Discrimination Act 1975, the Race Relations Act 1976, the Disability Discrimination Act 1995, the Employment Equality (Religion or Belief) Regulations 2003, the Employment Equality (Sexual Orientation) Regulations 2003, the Employment Equality (Age) Regulations 2006, the Equality Act 2006, Part 2 the Equality Act (Sexual Orientation) Regulations 2007.

Men's retirement age has been increased. My retirement age went up by 3 years 'in one go'. Nobodies retirement age went up by 6 years in one go. There may be a six year difference between what they thought and the new age, but that's because they didn't check their retirement age for over 16 years. 

Women affected by the new pension age may have started work in 1967 so that's more than 50 years ago. Some Careers were not widely available to women then. As for all the legislation, legislation was one thing, implementation was another, with empoyers using all sorts of unscrupulous methods to wriggle out of it. Even now we are still suffering discrimination in various forms, glass ceiling for example. 

Edited by Anna B

4 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Women affected by the new pension age may have started work in 1967 so that's more than 50 years ago. Some Careers were not widely available to women then. As for all the legislation, legislation was one thing, implementation was another, with empoyers using all sorts of unscrupulous methods to wriggle out of it. Even now we are still suffering discrimination invarious forms, glass ceiling for example. 

If you believe that to be justification for the payout to the WASPI women, why is it going to such a narrow group of people. 

Women older than the WASPI age bracket would have suffered the same discrimination, if not even worse. Where is their payout? What about those younger? 

Ethnic minorities, gay people, the disabled. Where is their payout to right historic (and ongoing) discrimination? 

3 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

Tory manifesto, fact checked. (Not by themselves)

https://fullfact.org/election-2019/conservative-manifesto-2019/?fbclid=IwAR0zO5b4Ru-YXHJmXmxvzCU670llRS2ODY666t1VQz9MnY7h_VdeH2KKa9s

As ever from Johnson, a concoction of half truths and deception 

Just like every manifesto from every political party from every election ever then. 

12 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

Just like every manifesto from every political party from every election ever then. 

My favourite truth manipulation is the 50 000 new nurses one.

Which one do you like best?

9 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

My favourite truth manipulation is the 50 000 new nurses one.

Which one do you like best?

From whose manifesto? I imagine you are only interested when it's done by the Tory Party. 

Edited by Robin-H

22 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

From whose manifesto? I imagine you are only interested when it's done by the Tory Party. 

I was talking about the Tory manifesto, yes.

Which misleading half truth is your favourite? It won’t take you long to read it all and get back to us.

7 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

I was talking about the Tory manifesto, yes.

Which misleading half truth is your favourite? It won’t take you long to read it all and get back to us.

I don't have a 'favourite' misleading half truth, from any manifesto. 

26 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

I don't have a 'favourite' misleading half truth, from any manifesto. 

The only manefesto that counts is the party that gets the most votes, the only one that will need to do what it says.