General Election 12 December.

nikki-red

This is NOT to become a second Brexit thread.

Thank you.

Message added by nikki-red

3 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

Aren't Facebook ads targeted, so that people receive adverts that Facebook thinks would interest them?

They are targeted, but I’d think that there was little point in targeting those who already agree with you.

It is easy to report them though. I’ve done so for a variety of reasons in the past. It works too. I no longer get ads for pizza, get rich quick schemes, dubious pro-Brexit groups and a few other categories.

19 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

Aren't Facebook ads targeted, so that people receive adverts that Facebook thinks would interest them?

No. The people who receive ads are those that the people paying for the ads would like to see them. Few people are interested in seeing ads.

I agree with apelike. Ideally there should be a ban on social media based political advertising during an election - with the threat of all advertising being banned if they can't reliably tell which ads are political or not.

As an absolute minimum, political ads shouldn't be allowed to be targeted. People need to see the whole of what a party is promising - not just selected bits of it the party thinks they'll like. Beyond that, at the moment a party could run two different ads promoting two mutually exclusive policies to different people.

3 minutes ago, altus said:

No. The people who receive ads are those that the people paying for the ads would like to see them. Few people are interested in seeing ads.

I agree with apelike. Ideally there should be a ban on social media based political advertising during an election - with the threat of all advertising being banned if they can't reliably tell which ads are political or not.

As an absolute minimum, political ads shouldn't be allowed to be targeted. People need to see the whole of what a party is promising - not just selected bits of it the party thinks they'll like. Beyond that, at the moment a party could run two different ads promoting two mutually exclusive policies to different people.

So the ads are targeted. You're right to say it's the people paying for the adverts that decide where they're targeted, rather than Facebook themselves, but I'm not wrong to say that they are targeted. 

1 hour ago, Robin-H said:

The Tories have already announced £1b in extra funding to mitigate people who were worst affected. Saying people are going to be 'impoverished' because of an 18 month delay to getting a state pension (a pension which is much more generous than it was when they were originally going to be getting it...) is hyperbole. 

The changes were announced in 1995 (and got quite a bit of media coverage).  It should not have come out of the blue. I appreciate that despite this, some women were not aware of the changes, and a Parliamentary Committee concluded that more could have been done to make those affected by the changes more aware, but that was mainly a failing of the previous Labour government as letters didn't really get sent out until 2009, and very little direct communication was done between 1997-2010. A lot more has been done since then, but of course as the date is closer, there is less time to prepare. 

No it's NOT hyperbole.

I am 64 now.    I was promised my pension at age 60.     I will not get my pension until I am 66  !!  

That is a delay of  6 YEARS  not  18 months.

10 minutes ago, francypants said:

No it's NOT hyperbole.

I am 64 now.    I was promised my pension at age 60.     I will not get my pension until I am 66  !!  

That is a delay of  6 YEARS  not  18 months.

Yes, but the majority of those changes (the rise to 65) were advertised back in 1995. The further rise by one year was announced in 2011. 

The pension age when you last checked was 60, but that does mean that you didn't check your pension age since before 1995, as if you did it would have told you that it was no longer 60. 

My pension age used to be 65. It is now 68 (and likely to increase). If I hadn't checked my pension age, I could have got to 65 and been in for a shock. Does the government owe me money too? 

52 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

So the ads are targeted. You're right to say it's the people paying for the adverts that decide where they're targeted, rather than Facebook themselves, but I'm not wrong to say that they are targeted. 

I was referring to the "Facebook thinks would interest them" bit.

Our goals for British trade are accordingly ambitious. We aim to have 80 per cent of UK trade covered by free trade agreements within the next three years, starting with the USA, Australia, New Zealand and Japan. These will be negotiated in parallel with our EU deal.

So, binning only 20% of UK trade within the next 3 years...

...well, the Tories are nothing if not ambitious :D

Edited by L00b

11 minutes ago, L00b said:

Is that what it means? 

If they say they aim to have 80% of UK trade covered by free trade agreements within the next three years, and you say that means binning 20% of UK trade deals, that means that we currently have 100% of trade covered by free trade agreements at the the moment. 

That isn't true. 

On 24/11/2019 at 00:24, Pettytom said:

That’s all very lovely Angel.

But also very wrong.

For a start, you seem to be claiming that the working population of the UK is 32000000 million. And yet you have the nerve to criticise Diane Abbott’s maths. Your bonkers maths does little to add to your credibility.

As for the rest of your “analysis”, did you consider that some people earn way in excess of 80k. Or that Labour are proposing an even higher tax bracket on even fatter cats? Or that we could borrow money at historically low interest rates? Or that Google, Apple, Amazon and their chums really do have to start to chip in to UK plc?

Maybe you did. 

But, somehow I doubt that you bothered 

according to the 2011 Census, the working age population (people aged 16 to 64 years) was 34.3 million

Angel1.

24 minutes ago, L00b said:

If you provide a quote can you link to it as well? I can't see where in that quote it states that 20% will be binned.

24 minutes ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

according to the 2011 Census, the working age population (people aged 16 to 64 years) was 34.3 million

Angel1.

Yes.

And you said 32000000 million. Which is thirty two thousand billion. 

So, I’m not sure what your point was.