General Election 12 December.

nikki-red

This is NOT to become a second Brexit thread.

Thank you.

Message added by nikki-red

45 minutes ago, Anna B said:

No doubtt because they have been bombarded continuously with negative propaganda about JC 'not being fit to be Prime Minister' etc.

This sort of thing works if you're told it often enough. The power of the press...

Most traditional Labour voters come from the centre left and have seen the party drift away from what they are comfortable with in the main they will not vote for the Conservatives and will probably refrain.

2 hours ago, hobinfoot said:

I know quite a lot of lifelong Labour voters who are saying that they won’t vote for them while Corbyn is leader. I don’t think it’s the message it’s the messenger.

Whatever your political views I think that there is a fundamental difference between the two.

Corbyn has firm views and opinions which he has stuck by and developed over his years in politics.Almost by chance he has ascended to leadership after years as a backbencher.

Johnson comes from a different direction.He believes that he is born to rule and there is no cause that he is prepared to espouse or abandon to achieve his aim.

I believe that Corbyn would do his utmost to impose his policies whilst Johnson will continue to make promises that disappear in a puff of smoke overnight.

When I said that I am a floating voter for the first time,I am most definitely not drifting to the right.

7 minutes ago, hobinfoot said:

Most traditional Labour voters come from the centre left and have seen the party drift away from what they are comfortable with in the main they will not vote for the Conservatives and will probably refrain.

Pretty much my position 

1 hour ago, max said:

I've spoken to some people on the doorstep and those who say they won't vote Labour because of JC can never vocalise what it is they don't like about him. They agree with the policies, who wouldn't, and understand how they are costed but have this dislike of JC which no amount of persuasion can overcome.

My mates and I no longer talk about Brexit and J.C. is a complete none starter. 

All my  points and closely argued positions come to nothing and I get accused of being condescending. I have come to realise that my approach is cerebral and theirs is from the heart and they don't translate to each other. The broad sweeping generlisations and predudice cannot be argued against by calm considered costed and detailed analysis. Anna B (307 above) admits the same. 

So how does anyone oppose the positions which are held in the heart?

3 hours ago, carosio said:

The nation's defence policy hasn't been scrutinised yet, that should be interesting.

Why, are we at war with someone :)

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

No doubtt because they have been bombarded continuously with negative propaganda about JC 'not being fit to be Prime Minister' etc.

This sort of thing works if you're told it often enough. The power of the press...

Heaven forbid someone forms a genuinely held negative view of The sainted one.

Well I never.  Nicola Sturgeon a hypocrite? 

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1202100/nicola-Sturgeon-NHS-pledge-US-private-healthcare-giant-SNP-cost-cutting/amp#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s

And IHI are: http://www.ihi.org/about/Pages/default.aspx

Nice business jargon.  Glorified time & motion.  Good to see that my taxes, are finding their way to America.  Can't Sturgeon find a Scottish based company to undertake a similar role?

At least the money would remain in the UK. 

Edited by Baron99

7 hours ago, Anna B said:

When his own mp says he's not fit to be pm , that's not the power of the press

9 hours ago, hobinfoot said:

I know quite a lot of lifelong Labour voters who are saying that they won’t vote for them while Corbyn is leader. I don’t think it’s the message it’s the messenger.

You may be accused of inventing these lifelong labour voters, because banjo thinks these people don't exist.

1 hour ago, lottiecass said:

When his own mp says he's not fit to be pm , that's not the power of the press

You may be accused of inventing these lifelong labour voters, because banjo thinks these people don't exist.

The Labour party is still divided, as is the Tory party.

What is in the power of the press/media is to chose who they are going to feature/quote to give opinions.

Labour has many fiercely loyal MPs but they don't merit a mention apparently.

Boris Johnson is also a divisive figure in a split party, but his detractors don't feature nearly as often. The Tory MPs that lost the whip  might have a few choice things to say if they were asked. 

Edited by Anna B

Says a lot when his deputy resigns as an election is called , fierce loyalty no doubt. 

38 minutes ago, lottiecass said:

Says a lot when his deputy resigns as an election is called , fierce loyalty no doubt. 

What does it say, Lottie?

34 minutes ago, lottiecass said:

Unfortunately I don’t think Corbyn is the man to get the backing of the centre left behind him so perhaps we will have to suffer an even worse fate if the far right driven Boris Johnson actually wins a majority.

The wheel keeps turning and Boris will continue to blunder and bluster along until he too finds a knife or two in his back.

Step forward a Keir Starmer.

On 07/11/2019 at 15:52, Baron99 said:

You're not going to convince me that Ms Swinson's opinion on remaining in the EU isn't somewhat swayed by the fact that her husband, Duncan Hames is Director of Policy at Transparency International UK,

Given that this story has been exposed as fake news by pretty much every credible news organisation going, are you not just a tiny bit embarrassed to be the only person left who still believes it?