General Election 12 December.

nikki-red

This is NOT to become a second Brexit thread.

Thank you.

Message added by nikki-red

10 minutes ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

As opposed to Corbyn's lunatic decision to nationalize gas, lecky, water, railways and probably more given half a chance. Estimated at £200 billion for the 4 plus the rest.  Makes the above Tory spend look like peanuts. 

Angel1.

You call that spending?

5 minutes ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

As opposed to Corbyn's lunatic decision to nationalize gas, lecky, water, railways and probably more given half a chance. Estimated at £200 billion for the 4 plus the rest.  Makes the above Tory spend look like peanuts. 

Angel1.

Thats £40b a year over a 5 year parliament - at least we'd get something for it.

The £83b on Brexit / no deal brexit is wasted money with nothing to show for it.

Plus avoiding Brexit could save another £85b.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-10-11/corbyn-s-brexit-stance-could-give-u-k-a-106-billion-boost

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

What makes you think I'm not still a leaver? 

But Jeremy isn't leaving, he's going for a people's vote and campaigning for remain/revoke isn't he?

1 hour ago, Mister Gee said:

What happened to trickle down? I remember the Tories telling us that if we made rich folk richer it would benefit us plebs.

To a degree it does I guess - I do well out of rich folk and I'm not rich. But there must be a point where you think " I've got enough". 

Does anyone remember the reason we had to have all the austerity.  The reason the labour government caused all the problems with bad stewardship of the economy and the message left by former chief secretary Liam Byrne left for his successor said "there's no money left."  

Just now, thorphanger said:

Does anyone remember the reason we had to have all the austerity.  The reason the labour government caused all the problems with bad stewardship of the economy and the message left by former chief secretary Liam Byrne left for his successor said "there's no money left."  

I think you might need to have another go at that one.

Just now, Longcol said:

The reason was a global financial crisis

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Financial_crisis_of_2007–2008

'just' on topic, there was is a Storyville on the Leyman Brothers still available on BBC  iPlayer (as it was on the other night)

Definitely worth a watch for younger forummers who were too young.

2 hours ago, Dardandec said:

Everyone should pay their fair share of tax no matter what wealth they have accrued, I own my own home, should I pay more tax because I live rent and mortgage free? I own my own home because I have always been sensible with money, should I be penalised for that? Successful people should not be penalised no matter how much they have .

But that’s not what I said. I never mentioned home ownership,  or penalising people.

If you’d like to reply to the  points that I actually made, that might facilitate a more meaningful discussion.

1 hour ago, thorphanger said:

Hahahahahahaha.

No.

1 hour ago, Longcol said:

Thats £40b a year over a 5 year parliament - at least we'd get something for it.

The £83b on Brexit / no deal brexit is wasted money with nothing to show for it.

Plus avoiding Brexit could save another £85b.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-10-11/corbyn-s-brexit-stance-could-give-u-k-a-106-billion-boost

The bank of England gave £445 Billion to quantative easing, which has mainly benefitted the already seriously rich.

Corbyn's national banks will at least see money spent to benefit us all.

(Thanks for your kind words, I have been ill. Thank God for the NHS or I wouldn't be here.)

https://positivemoney.org/2014/06/waste-375-billion-failure-quantitative-easing-video/

Edited by Anna B

2 hours ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

As opposed to Corbyn's lunatic decision to nationalize gas, lecky, water, railways and probably more given half a chance.

Yes, because of course it makes far more sense that all those important industries should belong to a tiny number of shareholders rather than every citizen of the UK! 🙄

7 hours ago, Pettytom said:

But that’s not what I said. I never mentioned home ownership,  or penalising people.

If you’d like to reply to the  points that I actually made, that might facilitate a more meaningful discussion.

I think you somewhat missed my point, my fault I guess. If a billionaire is paying all their dues and demands already, then why should they be expected to pay more? they are billionaires for a reason and probably create loads of jobs that are revenue raising, and should not be penalised for that.

Just my opinion. If you don't like it just ignore it.

Edited by Dardandec
Quote was slightly wrong

10 hours ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Angel1.

These things should never have been privatised in the first place. 

Do you think that overseas ownership of the utilities benefits UK customers and that profits generated here should be sent abroad rather than used to bring down bills and modernise the infrastructure?