General Election 12 December.

nikki-red

This is NOT to become a second Brexit thread.

Thank you.

Message added by nikki-red

10 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Well the Tory / Brexit party alliance isn't going to happen. 

If Farage's raison d'etre is to get the UK to leave the EU, then he shouldn't be issuing any threats & spitting his dummy out if he doesn't get an agreement with the Tories. 

He should not contest the secure Tory seats but instead concentrate his efforts on standing in the Lab areas where there was a large Leave vote registered, (and over 60% of Lab constituencies registered a Leave vote), and target the Lab MP's who refused to acknowledge their Leave constituents.  

I wouldn’t believe a word that Farage or Johnson say.

Of course there will be no overt coalition, that would be poisonous for both parties. That won’t stop some tactical cooperation.

I’d expect both parties to be very selective about how much canvassing they do in particular constituencies. I’d imagine that Labour/Plaid/SNP/LD will do similarly.

Farage still has about a hundred candidates to find. That will make the Brexit Party quite vulnerable. We only need to look to Sheffield Hallam to see the consequences of poorly vetted candidates. There will be no shortage of journalists digging into the background of candidates of all parties.

Its going to be fun.

Always makes me laugh when people think parts of the NHS aren't already operated by American companies.

enlightenment 

C & P

NHS staff and health campaigners fear the US government and its powerful pharmaceutical industry want the health service to pay more for their drugs, which are much more expensive in the US. Currently, the UK can block American drugs not deemed “value for money” and allow cheaper alternatives to be prescribed to patients which save the NHS hundreds of millions of pounds a year. However, the system could be under threat under a new transatlantic trade deal.

According to research carried out for the programme, the cost to the UK government could be approximately £27bn, wiping out the potential Brexit bonus for the NHS promised by Mr Johnson. In an interview with the programme, one of Donald Trump’s former top trade negotiators Stephen Vaughn said he does not understand what Mr Johnson means when he says the “NHS is not on the table”.

https://inews.co.uk/news/health/nhs-drugs-cost-brexit-trade-deal-usa-820816

50 minutes ago, the_bloke said:

Always makes me laugh when people think parts of the NHS aren't already operated by American companies.

We live in a international world. I have just booked a GPs appointment, the earliest  I can get one is 7 days time, with a Dr with a African sounding name.

So much for Camerons promise(2014) of a 7 days a week, 8am - 8pm

People believed Cameron, he came accross as a good guy, Boris on the other hand is dishonest in his personal life, been sacked for dishonesty in previous jobs; who in their right mind would Trust Boris Johnson?

One conversation on LBC - https://preview.msn.com/en-gb/news/us/donald-trump-farage-and-johnson-should-work-together/vi-AAJFVxt

The news headlines - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs/the_papers

IMO - Trump did not tell anyone anything. Its was more of what he thought should happen.

But our glorious independant press translated it in many ways.

1. Listen to and Read the above

2. Form your own opinion of which paper is twisting the story

3. Bear it in mind when reading the papers for the next 6 weeks.

4 hours ago, kidley said:

the biggest peaceful weapon america has against other countries is sanctions, if we agree a trade deal with america, heaven help the NHS and above all the English people if they ever get there hands on that.

A ROCK AND A HARD PLACE COMES TO MIND 

Thought you was a brexit supporter? Finally seen sense?

Edited by melthebell

7 hours ago, alchresearch said:

Congratulations to Jeremy Corbyn on getting an amazing boost in support thanks to Donald Trump's recent radio interview.  

I would honestly consider supporting Corbyn to spite that ignorant fool and his brainless remarks.

I bet trump will be devastated if you do that. Ask Corbyn where the money will come from for his plan to nationalise  everything.

Something which might help the progressive forces in this election is Twitter stopping political campaigning on its platform. facebook are now under pressure to follow suit, but are reluctant given the millions it earns from fake news.

If facebook do ban political adverts/news-feed the Leave alliance will have to rely on the good old Sun, Mail, Express, Telegraph, Star, LBC and BBC to fight their corner.

51 minutes ago, lottiecass said:

I bet trump will be devastated if you do that. Ask Corbyn where the money will come from for his plan to nationalise  everything.

The Tories planted a magic money tree in the garden of number 10, here’s what it’s already paid for.

£77b  Cost of brexit
£13m  Phantom ferries
£100m  Wasted brexit ads
£2.7b  Grayling mistakes
£6.2b  Corporation tax cuts
£6b  No-deal brexit
£500m  Probation service bailout
£1b  DUP bribe
£600m  Johnson's blunders

1 minute ago, Mister Gee said:

The Tories planted a magic money tree in the garden of number 10, here’s what it’s already paid for.

£77b  Cost of brexit
£13m  Phantom ferries
£100m  Wasted brexit ads
£2.7b  Grayling mistakes
£6b  No-deal brexit
£1b  DUP bribe

How much for filling-in all those ditches? :hihi:

27 minutes ago, Mister Gee said:

£77b  Cost of brexit
£13m  Phantom ferries
£100m  Wasted brexit ads
£2.7b  Grayling mistakes
£6b  No-deal brexit
£1b  DUP bribe

That's pocket money to what Corbyn would need for his plans.

Matthew Parris of The Times, The party I joined 50 years ago and which I’ve stuck by in good times and bad has been taken over by an ugly cult. Fifty years ago this autumn this columnist joined the Conservatives, signing up to a Tory ginger-group at university. Ten years later I was the MP for the Derbyshire constituency that remains my home. Leaving parliament more than thirty years ago, my respect for Margaret Thatcher and her party was undimmed, and I never parted company with my local Conservative association. There followed 40 years of supporting the Tories through thick and thin, usually with enthusiasm, occasionally through gritted teeth. He has now decided to vote for the Liberal Democrats.