General Election 12 December.

nikki-red

This is NOT to become a second Brexit thread.

Thank you.

Message added by nikki-red

Can anyone explain what Corbyn's "once-in-a-generation chance to transform our country" slogan means in his election campaign?

Surely its more "once every four or five years" when there's an election?

9 hours ago, Mister M said:

I've been watching Newsnight this evening, and the issue of the sheer level of abuse, death threats against MPs and family members was a motivating factor behind MPs decision to quit front line politics. I can't say that I blame them to be honest.

The whole Brexit issue really has poisoned the public arena, pretty much from day one, even before the referendum was held. I think Johnson should be very careful as he goes into the election with the whole 'people versus parliament' narrative, not least because it stokes up a toxic atmosphere. 

Another theory is that many of these MPs not standing again expected to lose their seat and believe they will be at the front of the queue for a lucrative job outside of Parliament by not seeking re-election.

5 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

Another theory is that many of these MPs not standing again expected to lose their seat and believe they will be at the front of the queue for a lucrative job outside of Parliament by not seeking re-election.

Who originally put forward this theory?

15 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Who originally put forward this theory?

Have you never heard of the theory jump before you get pushed?   You're in a much better position when applying for a new job by saying that you left your previous job because of death threats and personal abuse than saying you left your former job because you have been given the sack which happens to MPs who lose their seats at a General Election.

11 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Do you seriously think that Farage will get any seats at all, never mind enough to be in the mix when it comes to a coalition?

I doubt they'll get many, if only a handful. But I don't think Tories will get such an easy ride as the polls suggest. They might need a few to get over the line.

37 minutes ago, gaz 786 said:

Personally I think they are all as bad as each other don't care about anybody but themselves not bothered about anything other than moneys in their bank every payday... Its an I'm alright Jack attitude from lot of them bet none of them had to sell personal belongings to pay electric bill 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

They cannot all be bad, on the 12th its you task to pick the best of the bunch. Will you opt for the same Tory/Labour lot, or try someone new?

2 hours ago, Car Boot said:

So huge public sector wage cuts, mass privatisations, cuts to public services (including healthcare, education and social care) combined with major tax rises are, in your view, NOT evidence of the EU being pro-austerity (to protect German bankers profits)?

I think most sensible, realistic people would agree that such extreme measures indicate an unbridled dedication to economic austerity at the expense of the weakest and most vulnerable in society. The Tories and Lib Dems could certainly learn a lot from the EU when it comes to imposing harsh austerity measures.

No, in my view "huge public sector wage cuts, mass privatisations, cuts to public services (including healthcare, education and social care) combined with major tax rises" are indeed "NOT evidence of the EU being pro-austerity (to protect German bankers profits)": for the countries noted in your link, they are evidence of over-spending countries cutting their cloth, after running out of other people's money and credit lines.

Exactly like the UK did from 2008 onwards, without any shadow of an EU bailout with prudential strings attached in sight.

I think most sensible people -and particularly those at the lower earning end in society- know well, not to spend money that they haven't earned like it's going out of fashion.

After that, harshness is only ever proportional to the degree of adjustment required for correcting any misplaced  sense of entitlement: if you're a receptionist on NMW buying a 5-bed detached mansion, commuting to work in a Merc AMG and eating out every night, I can easily conceive that you'd find the degree of adjustment, when it inevitably comes, quite harsh indeed. A million tiny violins can then be heard. Just about.

Edited by L00b

1 hour ago, alchresearch said:

Can anyone explain what Corbyn's "once-in-a-generation chance to transform our country" slogan means in his election campaign?

I presume he means that Labour’s programme is once in a generation given that Thatcher/Major/Blair/Brown/Cameron were all on the same page on the economic question. 

What Labour is promising is very different and it is a shame that Corbyn’s view of the EU has damaged potential for something that probably would transform our country. If Corbyn had stepped down at the party conference in September and been replaced by John McDonnell or Rebecca Long Bailey, we would be looking at a very different election campaign possibly with Labour as favourites and the young membership re-energised.

1 hour ago, Lockdoctor said:

Have you never heard of the theory jump before you get pushed?   You're in a much better position when applying for a new job by saying that you left your previous job because of death threats and personal abuse than saying you left your former job because you have been given the sack which happens to MPs who lose their seats at a General Election.

Have you heard the theory that the likes of Mark francois would struggle to get a job at sports direct?

2 hours ago, Lockdoctor said:

Johnson has been sacked at least twice for telling lies yet somehow seems to have your admiration. Strange world.

Edited by Longcol

1 hour ago, Lockdoctor said:

There is ample evidence of the abuse that MPs get, there have been prosecutions to prove it. I don't share Nicky Morgan's politics, but I'm in no doubt that the abuse she, and her family have received during the Brexit debate has made the decision to leave politics an easy one.

I think it's a shame that it's come to this. Many of the departing MPs have differing opinions to their front benches, and, in part, it's that variety of opinion that gives politics both its inclusivity and broad appeal. 

I think if your going to posit the idea that the departing MPs are leaving because they fear they will be pushed, you'll need to show the evidence that such MPs are in marginal seats - some maybe, but many are not - which disproves your theory.

I don’t share the view that “all politicians are the same”.

There are many who have a genuine desire to serve the population as they deem best and I would include Jeremy Corbyn as an idealist who believes in a fair world.

Whether you believe that his dreams can be delivered is another matter.

Having listened to this mornings speech I find it difficult to argue with his aims,and as an orator he knocks spots off Johnson.

I am however concerned about the intentions of some of those behind the current labour movement.

It will be an interesting few weeks.