General Election 12 December.

nikki-red

This is NOT to become a second Brexit thread.

Thank you.

Message added by nikki-red

6 hours ago, Longcol said:

The austerity agenda was thanks to the Tories - you do get the Tories and Europe mixed up regularly.

The austerity agenda was also thanks to the Liberal Democrats. The voting record of the MPs of this party is horrific. For example, Liberal Democrat Shadow Chancellor of the Exchequer Ed Davey.

He voted 9 times to REDUCE the housing benefit for social tenants deemed to have excess bedrooms (Liberal Democrats hate the poor having a spare room).

He voted 5 times AGAINST raising welfare benefits at least in line with prices.

He voted 24 times for a REDUCTION in spending on welfare benefits. 

He voted 7 times AGAINST spending public money to create guaranteed jobs for young people who have spent a long time unemployed. 

14 times he voted AGAINST a banker’s bonus tax.

He has consistently voted AGAINST an annual tax on the value of expensive homes (popularly known as a mansion tax).

Lovely people these pro-austerity Liberal Democrats. They still want ministerial cars and will sell out anybody and anything to get them.

Edited by Car Boot

3 hours ago, lottiecass said:

it looks like Brexit party will be scooping some up.

Votes possibly, but I doubt that they will win many seats, if any at all.

9 hours ago, Car Boot said:

You are aware that Jo Swinson, the pro-austerity Liberal Democrat Leader, has absolutely no regrets about her party being a part of the coalition government? A coalition government whose cuts to services and living standards many Remainers hold responsible for the Leave vote winning in the June 2016 referendum.

Lib Dem/Tory austerity policies shrunk the UK economy by over £100 billion. FACT.

Lib Dem/Tory austerity policies have led to 130,000 preventable deaths. FACT.

As Employment Minister Jo Swinson reversed workers rights (extending the qualifying period for unfair dismissal to 2 years and introduced charges of up to £1,200 for attending an employment tribunal, to prevent the poor having access to justice) and wanted to freeze and cut the minimum wage in the event of an economic downturn.

The Liberal Democrats claim that Brexit will hurt the poorest. What we have seen so far is that it is the Liberal Democrats who hurt the poorest in their greed for ministerial cars.

I am fully aware of this, but unfortunately this general election is about Brexit and little to do with general policy. I will be voting for a pro remain party who might just have a bit of clout and the Lib Dems might just fill that bill.

1 hour ago, Car Boot said:

Pay your taxes. Support the NHS. 

I do pay my taxes, every penny, do you?

32 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

The austerity agenda was also thanks to the Liberal Democrats. The voting record of the MPs of this party is horrific. For example, Liberal Democrat Shadow Chancellor of the Exchequer Ed Davey.

He voted 9 times to REDUCE the housing benefit for social tenants deemed to have excess bedrooms (Liberal Democrats hate the poor having a spare room).

He voted 5 times AGAINST raising welfare benefits at least in line with prices.

He voted 24 times for a REDUCTION in spending on welfare benefits. 

He voted 7 times AGAINST spending public money to create guaranteed jobs for young people who have spent a long time unemployed. 

14 times he voted AGAINST a banker’s bonus tax.

He has consistently voted AGAINST an annual tax on the value of expensive homes (popularly known as a mansion tax).

Lovely people these pro-austerity Liberal Democrats. They still want ministerial cars and will sell out anybody and anything to get them.

Knowing your uhh loose relationship with factual matters I'll ask you for proof of those like the division in Hansard before I'll even consider answering

It’s worth bearing in mind that in 2017, the SNP lost a bunch of seats to both Labour and the Conservatives. As both those parties are standing on a pro-Brexit ticket, I suspect that the SNP could clear up in Scotland and Nicola Sturgeon knows that, hence her support for an early election.

If the Conservatives win and try to drag Scotland out of the EU on a hard Brexit, Scotland will soon get its independence. If we end up with a Labour/SNP/Lib Dem/Green coalition, Sturgeon’s price for her support is a second Scottish referendum.

The SNP will probably be the only party guaranteed to be smiling on December 13th.

I can’t see anything but a conservative win looking at the opposition. I think they will get an overall majority not a big one but a workable one.

8 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

It’s worth bearing in mind that in 2017, the SNP lost a bunch of seats to both Labour and the Conservatives. As both those parties are standing on a pro-Brexit ticket, I suspect that the SNP could clear up in Scotland and Nicola Sturgeon knows that, hence her support for an early election.

If the Conservatives win and try to drag Scotland out of the EU on a hard Brexit, Scotland will soon get its independence. If we end up with a Labour/SNP/Lib Dem/Green coalition, Sturgeon’s price for her support is a second Scottish referendum.

The SNP will probably be the only party guaranteed to be smiling on December 13th.

Not going to happen, the last vote for independence failed miserably for the snp and not forgetting that all Scotland did not vote remain in the eu vote. No doubt the snp should benefit but it could be that the tories are going to hang on in a very unpredictable election.

12 minutes ago, hobinfoot said:

I can’t see anything but a conservative win looking at the opposition. I think they will get an overall majority not a big one but a workable one.

I absolutely agree there is only one way the General Election result will go and that is an overall majority for the Conservative Party.  The 2015 General Election result was a surprise because most people expected a hung Parliament.   Boris has much more support from traditional Labour voters than David Cameron ever did.  The Labour Party are less electable now than they were when  Ed Miliband led them in 2015 and Corbyn's popularity has fallen since the 2017 General Election.  I predict the Conservative Party will win with a bigger majority than David Cameron had in 2015 and also won't have the rebel MPs that Boris inherited. It's all looking positive  for a good Christmas and a happy new year when Brexit will be implemented meaning our country can finally move on.

No matter how they spin this it will be a Brexit election. I'm not sure it will leave a majority though to sort Brexit out one way or another. I know two people so far that have said they don't see any point in voting after all that's gone off with Brexit and in sure there will be others.

Boris will probably get my vote but I'll have a good look at Brexit partys manifesto aswell before deciding

17 minutes ago, NERVY-OWL said:

No matter how they spin this it will be a Brexit election. I'm not sure it will leave a majority though to sort Brexit out one way or another. I know two people so far that have said they don't see any point in voting after all that's gone off with Brexit and in sure there will be others.

Boris will probably get my vote but I'll have a good look at Brexit partys manifesto aswell before deciding

You could probably put the Brexit mobs manifesto on a betting slip.

Edited by Mister Gee

Listening to Boris’s electioneering today he is promising big spending on Health,Schools,Police ,Social Care.

This against over £70billion cost of Brexit so far and forecast reduction of GDP as a result of Brexit over the next 15 years.

Believe this man at your peril.

It is a Brexit GA,and how the majority of the population can anticipate any benefits defies logic.