Acrylic Paint Advice

Not sure if this is the right section to ask this but how is acrylic paint different to ordinary paint apart from the fact that it comes in tubes?! I am re-painting a rocking horse and have been advised to use acrylic paint but I will need about 100 tubes!! Can I just use 'ordinary' paint and then several coats of clear varnish on top to protect it? We have sanded it down and are using a primer before painting.

Thank you

Acrylic paint doesn't just come in tubes and it does vary. I use some small bottles of highly pigmented, often metallic acrylic for painting on paper clay. I have recently bought some other acrylic from Colourcraft near Meadowhall. I do believe there are different 'thicknesses' / opacities sold by Colourcraft. They make a lot of stuff on site so I think they make this too, they certainly sell it. You can get large bottles. Their factory shop is only open Monday to Friday but they are very friendly and helpful. I have recently bought their brusho sprays and acrylic sprays. These sprays are not what you are after but they do have bottles of acrylic which would be suitable. 

https://www.colourcraftltd.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=acrylic+paint

There are lots of different paints on the market suitable for wood, it depends what look or finish you want.