January 2020 Bus Service Changes

Guest busdriver1
17 hours ago, Retro Queen said:

I live on Scraithwood Drive above the five arches. In the light nights yes I will get a bus to Hillsborough and walk up but not in the dark, not under the five arches.

And its still no excuse for the 98 not turning up.

I did not say it was an excuse. I am pointing out that there re other options available if you choose to look for them. 18 from town? 18a ? 32

On 27/01/2020 at 13:38, busdriver1 said:

You could have got a bus to town and another to Hillsborough surely. 

It might even be quicker to get any bus into town followed by a bus or tram direct to Hillsborough Interchange then get a 98 in the other direction! (although of course same issue if 98 doesn't turn up!)

11 hours ago, Resident said:

There are a number of possible reason it didn't show up. 

Take last night. ALL services that use Rock Street/Nottingham Street (Pitsmoor) were diverted away from 2045 till end of service due to the local wretched crotch fruits throwing bricks and other 'missiles' at passing buses. 

The above is increasingly happening in several areas of the city. 

I understand what you're saying but in my case the 98 is often missing and it can't be something happening on the route every time when other routes run effectively.,

8 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

I did not say it was an excuse. I am pointing out that there re other options available if you choose to look for them. 18 from town? 18a ? 32

I understand what you are saying but the 18 runs once an hour, so does the 32 and that one stops at 6.30 pm. We just need a more regular route, whether it be the 98 or the 32 to and from town.

4 hours ago, Andy C said:

It might even be quicker to get any bus into town followed by a bus or tram direct to Hillsborough Interchange then get a 98 in the other direction! (although of course same issue if 98 doesn't turn up!)

Good idea but I feel it would still mean a lot of waiting around.

Sheffield bus tactic is to reduce and worsen certain lesser used bus services then say they aren't needed any more then remove them completely.

In other places where there is need for buses they get reduced to the point that even normal times of day or on sunday people have to stand in them. 

18 is unbelievable, I will have more chance winning the lottery than see one of these ever arrive on time, stopped using them completely not because I don't need them but they are too unreliable.

1 hour ago, dutch said:

Sheffield bus tactic is to reduce and worsen certain lesser used bus services then say they aren't needed any more then remove them completely.

In other places where there is need for buses they get reduced to the point that even normal times of day or on sunday people have to stand in them. 

18 is unbelievable, I will have more chance winning the lottery than see one of these ever arrive on time, stopped using them completely not because I don't need them but they are too unreliable.

First really are scraping the barrel at the minute, I'm personally very surprised that the Traffic Commissioner hasn't paid a visit yet.

Add to the fact there is a chronic driver and vehicle shortage, now thanks to bad management they are currently balloting for potential strike action - all based on terms and conditions.

Guest busdriver1
45 minutes ago, Michael_N said:

First really are scraping the barrel at the minute, I'm personally very surprised that the Traffic Commissioner hasn't paid a visit yet.

Add to the fact there is a chronic driver and vehicle shortage, now thanks to bad management they are currently balloting for potential strike action - all based on terms and conditions.

Traffic commissioners ARE involved and have been for a couple of months. it is they who have insisted on the reduction of services and transfer of routes, vehicles, driving staff and maintenance provision to Doncaster.

To take strike action now would have one result only, the closure of the operation immediately. This could be done with no notice to staff as by striking they are technically in breach of contract.

Talk about turkeys voting for Christmas.....

Guest busdriver1
2 hours ago, dutch said:

Sheffield bus tactics are to try and run a profitable service under very difficult conditions to a public who want to pay 1980's prices and a PTE that are backing them not the bus companies, at the same time as putting more and more conditions onto operators with no reward other than reduced concession payments. 

I say yet again, You wanted cheap fares, you got them, now you have the sort of service that goes with cheap fares.

ENJOY

On 12/01/2020 at 21:39, Resident said:

Mobility (disabled) passes are not time restricted, at least in South Yorkshire. 

If it is a "Gold" card it is one issued by Derbyshire County Council rather than SYPTE.

The Government provides funding to local authorities for the passes to be used on local bus services between 0930 and 2300 Mon-Fri and on local bus services anytime at the weekend.  Anything above and beyond this, for example extended hours or use on trains or trams, has to be funded by local tax payers. Derbyshire have cut their public transport budget to the bone, but that's Conservative austerity policy for you.

7 hours ago, dutch said:

Which bus do you use now? The 18 is on my route but its not one I have to use.

4 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

Sheffield bus tactics are to try and run a profitable service under very difficult conditions to a public who want to pay 1980's prices and a PTE that are backing them not the bus companies, at the same time as putting more and more conditions onto operators with no reward other than reduced concession payments. 

I say yet again, You wanted cheap fares, you got them, now you have the sort of service that goes with cheap fares.

ENJOY

Edited by Retro Queen

On 28/01/2020 at 09:48, Resident said:

There are a number of possible reason it didn't show up. 

Take last night. ALL services that use Rock Street/Nottingham Street (Pitsmoor) were diverted away from 2045 till end of service due to the local wretched crotch fruits throwing bricks and other 'missiles' at passing buses. 

The above is increasingly happening in several areas of the city. 

When I complained about hourly service busses missing SYPTE replied blaming shortage of busses/ old vehicles subject to breakdown/ inclement weather-I think the delete as appropriate but was missing from their stock response ☹️

First have a special offer from 1st to 10th February for those that buy First bus only weekly tickets to say sorry for the level of cancellations over the last few months... Buy a Sheffield 7 day FirstWeek ticket and get 14 days of travel plus use of services in Rotherham too. See here for details:  https://www.firstgroup.com/south-yorkshire/news-and-service-updates/news/free-travel-customers-recognition-recent-disruption.

Obviously that doesn't benefit those that buy Citywide passes that include the use of other bus companies and trams but I guess Citywide ticket holders weren't as badly affected if there is choice of alternative services.

Edited by Andy C

A reminder too of the changes to the Stagecoach bus "5 for a fiver" offer - this now includes travel on Friday evenings from 5pm as well as Saturday/Sunday. Up to 5 people travelling together can enjoy unlimited travel on Stagecoach buses in South Yorkshire and Chesterfield for just £5 on this offer (so £1 each if 5 people are in the group). Especially good value if you make use of the X17  Gold bus to Chesterfield or Barnsley!