January 2020 Bus Service Changes

@Resident - Thanks for that link, had a quick read, and according to that I am wrong but if @busdriver1 spots this, he may point us in the direction of his information.

I may do a bit of research myself, but I'm quite busy this week, so no promises.

Guest busdriver1
2 hours ago, RollingJ said:

@Resident - Thanks for that link, had a quick read, and according to that I am wrong but if @busdriver1 spots this, he may point us in the direction of his information.

I may do a bit of research myself, but I'm quite busy this week, so no promises.

The information I got was from the Traffic commissioner's office for South East and Metropolitan traffic area. It was in an email that I daftly did not save, in a nutshell it is as follows.

When a bus company operates a "PUBLIC" service, they are entitled to claim B.S.O.G. * (Bus service operators grant) this is not payable to operators of private services i.e. works shuttles and school trips to sports stadiums etc but is available to operators of school services ( hence why you see "all passengers welcome" on the destination of some school services).

B.S.O.G. IS claimed for ALL TfL services by TfL as the operator as all revenue goes to them, and is now payed out by . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. TfL

The issue is that in order to travel on a TfL service you have to pre-qualify by having an oyster card or contactless debit card so is in the eyes of the law a PRIVATE service, as a person in the street can not just walk up and get on without fulfilling the above criteria.  ( I could not use it as  I have neither of the above). 

In areas outside London, this would be enforced and prevented from happening by the Traffic commissioners but inside London these powers have been delegated to TfL.

For obvious reasons TfL have not put this into the public domain and are not likely to but if you want confirmation just email the relevant traffic commissioner's office who I am sure will be all too happy to confirm the above.

4 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

The information I got was from the Traffic commissioner's office for South East and Metropolitan traffic area. It was in an email that I daftly did not save, in a nutshell it is as follows.

When a bus company operates a "PUBLIC" service, they are entitled to claim B.S.O.G. * (Bus service operators grant) this is not payable to operators of private services i.e. works shuttles and school trips to sports stadiums etc but is available to operators of school services ( hence why you see "all passengers welcome" on the destination of some school services).

B.S.O.G. IS claimed for ALL TfL services by TfL as the operator as all revenue goes to them, and is now payed out by . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. TfL

The issue is that in order to travel on a TfL service you have to pre-qualify by having an oyster card or contactless debit card so is in the eyes of the law a PRIVATE service, as a person in the street can not just walk up and get on without fulfilling the above criteria.  ( I could not use it as  I have neither of the above). 

In areas outside London, this would be enforced and prevented from happening by the Traffic commissioners but inside London these powers have been delegated to TfL.

For obvious reasons TfL have not put this into the public domain and are not likely to but if you want confirmation just email the relevant traffic commissioner's office who I am sure will be all too happy to confirm the above.

Thanks for that comprehensive and authoritative reply - I vaguely remember reading this somewhere else, probably a website/forum designed for and read by people who actually have to run the services.

On 15/12/2019 at 18:28, Andy C said:

The replacement for Sheffield bus only Megarider is the Citybus from Travelmaster, valid on all bus operators in Sheffield and will cost £61.20 for a 28 day ticket. There is also a Citywide pass including trams, costing £65.60). See www.sytravelmaster.com for details of this.

Stagecoach in their wisdom have published a new leaflet giving the ticket details and prices - quoting £51.20  for the 28 day Citybus.    Some new customers (if they are relying on this leaflet) are going to get a bit of a shock when the machine charges them an extra tenner.............!!!

On 18/12/2019 at 09:38, SkyeEdge said:

Stagecoach in their wisdom have published a new leaflet giving the ticket details and prices - quoting £51.20  for the 28 day Citybus.    Some new customers (if they are relying on this leaflet) are going to get a bit of a shock when the machine charges them an extra tenner.............!!!

This leaflet? 

https://www.stagecoachbus.com/media-library/files/yorkshire/xmas 2020/stagecoach_dl leaflet_area wide_single pages.pdf?la=en

Edited by Andy C

It's similar, same front cover but the content is slightly different.  I only picked it up on the bus on Tuesday, my copy definitely says £51.20 for a 28 day Citybus 🙂

The bus services in the city have really deteriorated over recent years and yet prices continue to rise -they are in danger of emulating rail travel. How does this sit within SCC green agenda?

5 minutes ago, catmiss said:

The bus services in the city have really deteriorated over recent years and yet prices continue to rise -they are in danger of emulating rail travel. How does this sit within SCC green agenda?

Depends- both single and weekly tickets on my three routes (51,52 and 120) are considerably cheaper than in 2012.

They are also more frequent. 

However it is the competition on potentially very profitable routes that drives this better than average service. 

SCC cannot in reality intervene in how private companies operate as per Government legislation.

There is very little SCC can do which they have not done already within the Law. Tendering would present real problems with unmanageable consequences.  Cross subsidy is illegal.

Things are also not going to get better. The continuing reduction in the number of  Senior bus passes being issued will mean fewer journeys being taken.

Seems like my Stagecoach ticket is going to go down from £74 a month (Stagecoach South Yorkshire) to £62 (Stagecoach silver). How very odd 🤔

At least if they've buggered up the 43 so it's no longer useful to me it'll not cost me so much to not use it ...

It also impossible to tell from the new 43 timetable where the bloody thing goes....

Ah, it seems they've cancelled the changes. Good, I don't know anyone that was calling for that.

5 hours ago, LuSiVe said:

Seems like my Stagecoach ticket is going to go down from £74 a month (Stagecoach South Yorkshire) to £62 (Stagecoach silver). How very odd 🤔

At least if they've buggered up the 43 so it's no longer useful to me it'll not cost me so much to not use it ...

It also impossible to tell from the new 43 timetable where the bloody thing goes....

Ah, it seems they've cancelled the changes. Good, I don't know anyone that was calling for that.

Yes, if you currently buy the South Yorkshire Plus Dayrider/Megarider, you will see a price reduction when it becomes Silver as well as having a bigger area of Chesterfield included.

the  proposed route change on the 43/44 isn't happening, but the timetable change is.

leaving Sheffield there will be a bus every 15 mins in the daytime on weekdays

1 x 44 to Chesterfield

2 x 43 to Chesterfield

1 x 43 to Dronfield Civic Centre

for all the Stagecoach Chesterfield bus changes at end January see here: https://www.stagecoachbus.com/service-updates/serviceupdatesarticle?SituationId=ID-17/12/2019-15:18:34:717

Edited by Andy C

Back to the topic of the unreliability of First - one evening this week there were two 98 buses missing in a row at peak time - one hour without a bus. Everyone at the bus stop was fuming. If they have to be every half hour then surely they should turn up on time! No one wants to stand for an hour at a bus stop, especially in this cold weather.