January 2020 Bus Service Changes

It seems very sensible to encourage off-vehicle purchase - hopefully saving time and reducing delays by less faffing about with payment cards as people board.  .  Surely very few people (other than many older pensioners - who get free bus travel anyway) don't have on-line access of some sort these days.  

9 hours ago, Andy C said:

The annual price changes on many operators are implemented in the new year. First up is the announcement from Travelmaster where the big news is the introduction of discounts being offered for those who buy tickets in advance of travel, options include app, website, vending machines and paypoint shops. https://sytravelmaster.com/2020-prices/

Is this supposed to compensate bus users for the terrible service they receive. Given 30 minute waits for 51 and 52 services this week and then have 2 busses arrive together I can only conclude that busses are ‘riding shotgun’ for a cowboy service. No doubt my complaint will elicit the standard weather excuse- after all it has been a bit cold/sunny/drizzly this week

5 hours ago, catmiss said:

Is this supposed to compensate bus users for the terrible service they receive. Given 30 minute waits for 51 and 52 services this week and then have 2 busses arrive together I can only conclude that busses are ‘riding shotgun’ for a cowboy service. No doubt my complaint will elicit the standard weather excuse- after all it has been a bit cold/sunny/drizzly this week

I don't believe you wat 30 minutes for a 52 ! With two Operators running the 52 service that's not possible.

TravelMaster Prices from 2nd January 2020

Off-Vehicle Pricing from Jan 2 2020    
  1-Day 7-Day 28-Day Annual
CityBus £4.70 £16.30 £61.20 £703.80
CityWide £5.10 £17.50 £65.60 £754.4
District Connect £5.00 £17.30 £64.90 £746.35
SYConnect £7.00 £23.50 £88.20 £1,014.30
SYConnect+ £8.80 £30.60 £114.60 £1,318.00
GetAbout £2.60 £8.30 £33.20 –
GetAbout+ £4.00 £14.00 £56.00 –

18-21 Pricing from Jan 2 2020  
  1-Day 7-Day 28-Day
CityBus £4.00 £13.80 £52.00
CityWide £4.30 £14.80 £55.70
District Connect £4.25 £14.70 £55.10
SYConnect £5.90 £19.90 £74.90
SYConnect+ £7.40 £26.00 £97.40

On-Board Pricing from Jan 2 2020
  1-Day 7-Day
CityBus £4.70 £17.50
CityWide £5.10 £18.50
District Connect £5.00 £18.50
SYConnect £7.00 £26.00
SYConnect+ £8.80 £30.60
GetAbout £2.60 £9.00
GetAbout+ £4.00 £14.00

To explain the above tickets:

Citybus - any bus in Sheffield

Citywide - any bus and tram in Sheffield

District Connect - any bus and tram in Rotherham OR Barnsley OR Doncaster

SY Connect/Getabout - any bus and tram in South Yorkshire (Getabout is the child version for concessionary pass holders)

SY Connect+/Getabout+ - any bus, tram and local train in South Yorkshire (Getabout+ is the child version for concessionary pass holders)

The 18-21 discount is available to those holding an 18-21 discount card buying from the self service vending machines at selected bus interchanges.

Off vehicle sales channels are: online (sytravelmaster.com), self service vending machines and payzone shops. Day tickets are also on the First & Stagecoach bus apps, rail inclusive tickets are also available from the ticket office at staffed railway stations.

Edited by Andy C

And here are the Stagecoach ticket changes: https://www.stagecoachbus.com/promos-and-offers/yorkshire/ticket-changes-january-2020

Other than the usual annual price increase (inflation and all that) there is a little bit of ticket simplification. The Stagecoach bus only tickets are withdrawn* (alternative is Citybus by Travelmaster) whilst the Sheffield Bus & Tram, Dearne Valley Bus & Tram and South Yorkshire Plus tickets are all merged into one "Silver" product valid on all Stagecoach buses and trams in South Yorkshire and Chesterfield (so the choice of Stagecoach tickets will be "Tram Only", "Silver" or "Gold" depending on the size of the area of travel you want.

Like with the Travelmaster range, Stagecoach are offering cheaper prices for weekly tickets if purchased online rather than from a bus driver, which it is hoped will reduce the amount of time buses spend held up at stops whilst passengers buy tickets.

* the Evening Rider and Weekend five travel for a fiver offers which are bus only will continue to be available.

Edited by Andy C

On 12/12/2019 at 06:30, kevvy said:

I don't believe you wat 30 minutes for a 52 ! With two Operators running the 52 service that's not possible.

Believe me, it is possible and it did happen - I don’t lie!! it’s a regular occurrence in Hillsborough where there are long waits and 2 or more busses turn up together.

Guest busdriver1
6 hours ago, catmiss said:

Believe me, it is possible and it did happen - I don’t lie!! it’s a regular occurrence in Hillsborough where there are long waits and 2 or more busses turn up together.

I quite believe that, the 52 suffers from being far to long and passes through too many pinch points. Will never be reliable with all that. It needs cutting back to Hillsborough and a seperate service covering the wisewood end if it is to be run reliably. But the cost would prevent that.

As I understand it they are getting rid of the 28 day Bus Only Megarider which currently costs £56 and replacing it with the 28 day Silver Megarider which will cost £62!

Whilst this ticket covers a larger area and now includes the Supertram, it has no increased benefit to me as I only use the bus for commuting to work in the town centre. 

They can sugarcoat it anyway they like but for me it means it's going to cost me a further £6 per month or £72 per year to go to work. 

Thank you so much Stagecoach

On 11/12/2019 at 23:59, Martin C said:

It seems very sensible to encourage off-vehicle purchase - hopefully saving time and reducing delays by less faffing about with payment cards as people board.  .  Surely very few people (other than many older pensioners - who get free bus travel anyway) don't have on-line access of some sort these days.  

I don't see why we can't adopt the Oyster system. 

It's quicker for boarding, it's safer for drivers & no arguments regarding drivers not having enough change. 

36 minutes ago, Resident said:

I don't see why we can't adopt the Oyster system. 

It's quicker for boarding, it's safer for drivers & no arguments regarding drivers not having enough change. 

As has been said before, London are running a system which is not lawful, but they - somehow - got an exemption.

I agree with the points you make though, and modified 'Oyster' systems work elsewhere, although these are contactless 'tap on - tap off' rather than a dedicated card.

Edited by RollingJ

We've just tried purchasing online and after the faff of registering the card, inputting your details (why do they need to know my phone number and DOB?) etc etc you still need to download some stupid app.

They know my travelmaster card number why can't the new ticket just be loaded onto it online? Why do I need an android smartphone and app?

Or I can pick it up on board...which rather defeats the whole object.